our sea water

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by xtreme, 4 Oct 2009.

1. xtreme

xtreme

Hi Hennie

Just wondering if we live at the coast, cant we use our sea water and just filter it properly?
    some times it takes up to two months before I get marine salt from SA.

Testing it right now, 200L drum and 1700L/H UV and skimmer for a 600L tank added a tatanium heater to increase temp. to 25 and 200 bio balls in the drum to (was laying around so through them in as well, lol)
    Collected water from a clear spot and pump it to the drum with pump added filter floss to prevent sand going in

so tell me what you think, will it work?
    will let it run for 2 weeks and see

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

I dont see a problem in that because i coll ect my water straight from the see, and ive tested it countless times its all virtually no nitrates, nitrites, or phosfates, the only problem is walking with the watercan on the beach really takes its toll. My 2c

4. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Yes you can use water from the sea as long as it is from a non polluted beach, and you will need to take you water temp up as for your water temp is low and the live stok we buy at a LFS are tropical. Since you water temp is so low what are the sg of the sea water? is it the same after you have increasde the temp? You also will have to chek your alkalinity, calcium and magmnesuim.:thumbup:

5. Johan van Aardt

My saltwater has good trace elements and the sg is fine too, plus my fish just seemed happier when i used sea water compared too when i used made saltwater

6. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Filled the drum today, will see tomorrow what the sg is at tmp.25. Should be around 1.026

7. Achilles

Achilles

Here is my take on seawater vs synthetic r/o mixed seawater, Seawater is awesome especially if it comes from the same area that the creatures you are keeping come from but i suspect living in swakopmund, you are getting cold atlantic not tropical seawater, now by way of eg the water in cold atlantic has alot of plankton and high nutrients, when compared to the water around a tropical coral reef where nutrients are much more tightly cycled , its almost like a tropical rainforest vs a desert.

If you use the cold atlantic water i would store it for at least 2 weeks in a dark area with a pump circulating it to allow for die off and you may want to check it for phosphates after this as some plankton will die off, also you will have to buffer it up after this as the alkalinity will surely drop as it is lower in the ocean to what we keep in our aquariums

synthetic seawater is largely dependent on how good the brand is and your Source water , you get bad and very good ones , I have found when dealing with my large aquarium that synthetic suited me better as it was easier to control any pathogens that might be introduced as well as nuisance algae plus the fact that i often had to adjust the natural seawater to get it to tropical seawater parameters which meant i still had to buy additives, buffer and phosphate removers in order to use the natural seawater... so it wasnt always the cheaper option for me but of course this also depends how often you intend doing water changes

8. IMarine

IMarine

hi

Hi bra it is better to use salt but if it is a problem then use sea water,what you doing is perfect and by using a uv light to kill off all free swimming pathogens excellent,but get the bio ball out,you do not need it as it will start becoming a nitrate bomb,i will collect enough water that you can use over a month period and do weekly water changes

9. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Sea water is great if you can get it unpoluted.

I think Achilles advice on storage and ridding of plancton is good.

I think a circulation pump would be a good idea.

I doubt that bioballs will make much difference positive or negative on this case as there is likely to not be anything for them to work with, but certainly do not worry about "nitrate bombs" going off.;)

10. moz

moz

I've been using NSW in my tank for about 2 years without any problems, normally I do my water change within an hour or two of having collected the water, in winter it takes a bit longer as I try heat the water (to within 2-4degrees of existing water) before adding it to the tank.

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Good question, and some good answers :thumbup:

I would personally use NSW (Natural Sea Water) over synthetic mixes any day, if I had the option.

I would not be too concerned about "free swimming pathogens" as they won't survive very long in a heated aquarium, if introduced from your cold sea water. I would also not be too concerned regarding the possible "high nutrient levels" from the cold Atlantic current - though high by natural levels, it will still be much lower than what you will have in your tank after just one or two feedings of the fish...

When I lived on the Cape south coast some years ago, I just added the water streight to the tank, after warming it to the right temperature - this way, the corals & fish still had a chance to eat/benefit from the still living, or recently dead, plankton, before they could decompose.

Hennie

12. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Thanks every one for the advice, will get rid of the bio balls, give it to the dogs lol.
    What about all the goggas?

I had a Lion, banner, rectangle trigger and a moray eel and needed to do a water change and still was waiting for marine salt so went and get some sea water, heated it and did a water change, after a few days my eel died and tested the water and nothing wrong, except the nitrates was a bit high about .030 -40 ppm if i remember correctly, then after the eel the banner went and trigger and my precious lion, damn that was a heart brake point. so cleaned everything and leave it standing.
    That is why i am so afraid of NSW.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2009
  13. Achilles

Achilles

i assume you mean 30-40 ppm that is very high if it is nitrates for natural sea water and doesnt sound right at all if it was that high it was pretty much the same as a heavily stocked fish only aquarium but even then nitrates wouldnt kill the fish unless it was actually ammonia and nitrites . it sounds to me like it it was either that or a pathogen , that was introduced.

there are many different strains of whitespot and there is even a nasty one which lives in our cold atlantic waters , and bringing that up to 26 degrees just seems to speed up its life cycle. the Two Oceans Aquarium had to redo its kelp tank twice due to this bug and they had to treat with copper.

14. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

Thanks Achilles

15. Johan van Aardt

Im fetching about 175 liters of water and 25 killos of sand tomo lets hope it goes good, but damn its gonna be alot of work

16. Reef Maniac

Agreed, but it's highly unlikely that ammonia could ever reach that high either, even if the water WAS highly polluted... I would suspect the cause was not related to the sea water (perhaps a container contained something toxic...). It's amazing how quickly one can jump to the wrong conclusion when things start to die in one's tank - I've done so myself, in the past.

In my experience, the chance of picking up something really bad from sea water collected responsibly off a clean, non-polluted beach on a rising tide, is pretty remote.

Hennie

17. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

What is everyone's opinion on using beach sand from a clean beach in the cape (Koel Bay/Betties Bay area) for ones DSB and/ or display tank instead of costly aragonite?

18. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

Comments on using sea sand instead of aragonite?

Pro's/cons?

19. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

sea sand is cheaper

20. xtreme

xtreme Thread Starter

ok did a test

120L tank with 2x 900L/H hang-on skimmers 1x 600L/H UV filter and 1x800L/H UV filter 1x heater and 1x 350L/H circulation pump

Filled yesterday and readings is

temp 25.6
    SG 1.025
    NO2 0.2 (Red Sea)
    PH 8.2 (Sera)
    NO3 5mg/l (Sera)
    Ammonia 0mg/l

The Phosphate I could not test, lost my sera manual

21. Reef Maniac

I would recommend the use of fine sea sand, collected from an unpolluted beach, any day :thumbup:

Hennie

Recent Posts