Other sump uses

Reaction score
Hi Gang

I've found this in advanced aquarist.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/9/diy

I like the idea of using other call it containers to suppliment the functionality of the sump.

Also according to the article we should consider building sponge filters...(no wait read the article its not sponge as in sponge)

"A Sponge Filter: A cryptic area can be added to a sump to increase sponge growth. I have used plastic needlepoint mesh to separate a small area in the sump, where the water flows through but it is very dim. Sponge grows wonderfully there and filters the water that flows through it."

Also anyone have an idea where we can get mangroves?

You can buy mangroves on eBay. Nice article. I have been toying with the idea of a sponge filter for a while now.

Also anyone have an idea where we can get mangroves?
From a Mangrove Swamp?

Alan has an awesome idea for a "sponge filter". He has added plastic dustbins in line on his system, filled them with live rock and put the lid on. I think this will be an awesome area for some really big sponge growth.

What do you want mangroves for copper? They are very slow in nutrient removal, more for prettiness than nutrient export, but then again you are a pretty boy so I can see why you want them.

What do you want mangroves for copper? They are very slow in nutrient removal, more for prettiness than nutrient export, but then again you are a pretty boy so I can see why you want them.

You ok Dean? Why do you call other men pretty, does your wife know??

Rod go fly a kite..on second thoughts go fly 2

Some neat ideas for sump usage, will take some pics of my sponge filter attempt over the week end and post. Only problem is sponge is really slow growing.

Sponge will grow in complete darkness as they are filter feeders

..."A Sponge Filter: A cryptic area can be added to a sump to increase sponge growth.

OK, I've got a very unique system - an in-sump Aiptasia filter. Whatever flows down from the tank and makes it through the skimmer is eaten by my pet Aiptasia colony. Aiptasia make a very good filter - they do not need much light, they are immune to tank crashes and bad water, are not affected by drastic pH changes caused by over dosing Kalk, can survive days without water should I ever need to empty the sump, AND I can sell them to unsuspecting newbies as rare pigmy anemonies :thumbup:

Beat that :slayer: :yeahdude:

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom