Osram biolux T8's

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Stressed Eric, 22 May 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Hi guys,

Could I get opinions on the use of the Osram biolux range of T8 flourescents in the display tank. From what I see their spectrum is well suited to growth and have really high PAR. I'm just a little concerned the algae will enjoy the light more than the rest of the inhabitants!

I'm thinking about a couple of these 36w globes, paired with a couple of 8000k T8's and a 20000k 250w halide for a well balanced spectrum.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to be keeping in my 1.2m yet, but don't want lighting to be a limitation if I get swayed to keep hard corals, etc.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

It looks like it has too much green, yellow and red light which may leave the tank a bit yellow but I'm not lighting expert.

4. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

buy t5s and get geisemanns they are made for reef systems. I don't think these are designed for reefs

5. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Eric if im you i would listen to what the guys have say...

Tony has always given sound advice so jip..

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Dude, if you going to go for corals, I wouldnt use T8's. Blues yes, but not whites.
    Use white T5's or MH's and you can supplement them with the blue T8's should you wish.
    If it is a FOWLR system, yes by all means, go for T8's.

7. marine101

marine101

Those are very yellow, but work like a bomb at that price. Used them on a reef for 2 years, no bulb changes, Lps, soft, and some easy Sps survived. But again, survived, not thrived, is the word
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback guys, just to clarify, my main lighting's going to be a 20k 250w halide supplemented by daylight's, i am just looking at these lights to improve PAR :)

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Stressed Eric - unfortunately NO T8 will really improve PAR..... it does not have the intensity to improve PAR.....
    If you want to improve PAR, then, look at the high output type of flourescents:
    ie: T5's, metal halides, etc....

NO (normal output) T8's does not have the capability of improving PAR...

10. Tony

Tony

Why don't you go for a lower kelvin metal halide like a 1000K and supplement with T5 actinics. That will improve your PAR right away.

11. Falcon

Falcon

just thought I'd repost something earlier that i posted in another thread.will put up a proper thread on the subject later.do however note that the osram biolux has a low lm per watt output compare to most decent t5's so it is not recommended for what you want to use it for as it only puts out 2300lm at max which it will be unlikely to run at.

quote from another thread
    "what is surprising though is that the phillips 865's (T8 36W-6500K BUT LOOKS LIKE 10000K REEFTEK nice white no yellow) actually put out 90lm/watt which gives of around 3240lm for a 36w tube where as syvania's highest is 2800lm for a 54w tube which is only 52lm per watt!!!WTF???and their other globes even the 8500k t5 sylvania only gives of 1680lm which is low in my opinion.

now thats staggering performance from a t8 globe as metal halides normally give around 90lm per watt also!i've decided to run my softies tank with this initially but after doing all this research i'm thinking of trying some sps in here also once the system is stable..

thats right sps in a t8 system lol shoot me but i believe this tube will pull it of!oh yes but please newbies shouldnt try running sps on t8,please for your corals sake."

T5 Spectral Graphs Report

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

WTF okay how could you tell a newby not to try t8 on sps gz wat advice are you giving...
    are you trying to confuse us cause seriously i am confused...
    To my best knowledge that i have read t5's are the best sorted...
    So if you want to use t8's and tell newbies not to use it then why post it...:nono:

13. Falcon

Falcon

Point taken riyad,maybe i could be confusing SOME newbies but my point is simply to point out that ALL T8 GLOBES ARE NOT THE SAME and it would be easy to brain wash him into going ONLY T5 OR MH.i have three tanks.1 is a nano with metal halide.2 is a 680 lt reef with sps etc and only run of t5's and also two t8's.third is a 200lt tank which will only use t8's.

THE POINT IS RIYAD:ALL GLOBES ARE NOT EQUIVALENT.

the sylvania t5 54w for example gives of max 2800lm while the 36w t8 865 phillips gives of 3240lm.which is better in this case,t5 or t8?

yes in general most t5's are brighter and have higher lumen output,but DONT SHOOT ME AND ASK WTF ETC AS I AM SIMPLY INFORMING PEOPLE OF FACTS HARD FACTS FROM COMPANY WEBSITES.:)

:whistling:
    How they use this information is up to the individual (be it newbie or advanced reefer).if they cant analyse these kinda things then i cant be blamed for anyones incompetence as everyone has a right to know.....

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Yer you are right everyone has the right too know and i am sori for WTF you but geez man i understand what you are saying...but to many of us newbies are taken for a quick buck.
    Why not advise us in the right direction.

Cause hey man im getting totaly confused with this

Why not start a thread explaining to us in detail the why's, nots and the do's:whistling:

15. Falcon

Falcon

Right on my friend,ok so the best in simplicity terms is IN ORDER WITH REASONS.

1.METAL HALIDE-almost every brand puts out between 85/100lm per watt so not much diff in BRAND etc.colours easily available 20000k(blue) and 6500k(sunlight-yellowish white) from electrical wholesalers and other colours like 10000k(white) and 14000k(white with blue tint) from LFS.highest initial cost but globes have to be replaced only every 18months on average.

2.T5-this can be a bit more tricky as some brands are weak.stick to trusted brands like geisemann,ATI,AQUA MEDIC and reeftek.range between 60/100lm pet watt output.globes like the osram 880 skywhite t5 offer exceptional white light lm per watt and value for money at the low cost of like around R70 a tube.
    other colours to be purchased from LFS at much higher costs.need to be replaced every 6months to a year max.

3.t8-this is generally low lm per watt output.use only for fish only or soft corals tanks.
    however certain globes like a phillips actinic and the range of tubes from Zoo med can hold their own against almost any T5!LOWER COSTS FOR THOSE ON A BUDGET AS GLOBES ARE MUCH MUCH CHEAPER AND ALSO THE BALLASTS ETC.
    ALL serious sps keepers will not use these ONLY even though sps can survive under them.some do however use them for suppliment lighting.replace as per t5's

the reason i posted about the phillips 865 is because it does not fall into what i've just written about T8.they retain 90% of light output for three years so replace only every two years.also they have 90lm per watt output and a ridiculously low price of like R20-00 a globe.which means that a 36w phillips could be used instead of white 54w t5's for those wanting to save a few bucks rather than using cheap t5 sylvania globes.

16. Falcon

Falcon

one more thing,just to point out the lighting on say a 4ft tank that needs 28000lm.

THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR NEWBIES TO UNDERSTAND MY PREVIOUS POST.

1. 2 X 150W VENTURE 6500K METAL HALIDE(14000lm each) = 300W
    2. 6 X OSRAM 880 SKYWHITE 54W T5(4700lm each) = 324W
    3. 12.2 X OSRAM BIOLUX 36W T8 (2300lm each) = 438W
    4. 8,5 x Phillips T8 865 36w(3240lm each) = 306 W

all four examples above achieve the required lumens needed of 28000lm but as can be seen above the metal halide uses the least power and globes.which is $$$ in the long run.while in the long run the normal t8 uses the most power and globes to achieve the lumens.T5 is not far at all from the metal halide in efficiency and the phillips 865's are also right at the top with the t5's and metal halides.

STANDARD T8 is clearly the looser here......too much power consumption and globes needed.

Jaak and jacquesb like this.
  17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Many thanks for this explanation, Falcon! Some of the best explanation that I have seen on lighting, in a long time!
    Kudo's mate! Easy to read - easy to understand!

18. Jaak

Jaak

Thanks for clearing it up Falcon, great explanation!!:thumbup:

19. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Falcon brilliant explanation and i am so sori about the misunderstanding but please under, without questions us newbies will not know.

Many thanks again;)

20. Falcon

Falcon

no problem riyad anytime bro,i dont mind being cross questioned but hate being misunderstood.so ask away anytime you're not sure.....:)

in fact i'm gonna start a new thread on choosing lighting,hopefully a mod will make it into a sticky...will use some of the info above.

Recent Posts