Orphek Atlantik V4 Unboxing and Review (Genuine)

Reaction score
Dear fellow Reefers,

I recently purchased an Orphek Atlantik V4 with Gateway from Orphek, and I would like to offer my experience with exactly how this worked and all the nitty gritties should anyone be interested. This light is regarded as one of the best in the business, and should be more accessible to South African reefers in my opinion, so this is how I went about it, and should you wish to do the same I am happy to show you how I did it.

I had a Zetlight 6600, which was a great light, but just not suited 100% to the SPS I want to start keeping, so hence the upgrade.

I came to learn of this brand of light when I visited a fellow reefer and saw them in the flesh. They are astounding. Here is a test BRS did, that just shows how incredible the performance is:

I placed my Order on the 28th of Feb with Orphek, they sent me a Paypal Invoice that I could use my credit card to pay (got the Discovery Miles too), and it was instant and easy. The initial cost is around $ 925 for the unit, gateway, and airfreight to South Africa (no additional costs at all). The Orphek team is great to deal with and within a day my order was shipped and the tracking number sent to me so I could follow its route to me.

Once the unit arrived at OR Tambo, TNT couriers called to explain that the import duties on the unit were R 1500, and once paid the unit would be delivered to my door. I paid online again with my credit card (got the points again), and the unit arrived on the 6th of Feb (6 days all in all). Please note that I in no way intend to sell these lights, nor distribute them, just offering my experience should anyone want to do the same in a personal capacity.

If you buy these lights direct from Orphek, they only cost R 15 500 landed at your Doorstep including Duties! Don't be fooled Otherwise!

OF course the age old question of "warranties" etc. was on the top of my mind, and when I reached out to Orphek they assured me that "The warranty is one year. Within the warranty, if there's any problem and need replacement for the light, we will ship you the replacement for free.
Even out of warranty, we will give you fast support and offer good price if there's any need for the replacement.

For more information about warranty, please read here
https://orphek.com/contacts/warranty/"

This email came from the top level management at Orphek so I felt very comfortable with this.

On to the un-boxing:

This is the package that arrived:

I really felt like a kid on Christmas morning.

All the kit is really well packaged, and comes with a hanging kit, and the V2 gateway which connects to your WiFi so the light can be programmed off of the Orphek app

All the instruction manuals and care literature:

Here is the V2 Gateway, LAN Cable Unit aerial, power unit, as well as the Hanging kit:

This unit is very solid, and I made sure my wall mounted brackets were in nice and tight, the last thing I need is this unit falling into the tank. It is a very simple hanging kit that comes with the Orphek, and withing a few minutes it was mounted to the suggested height for the correct spread of my tank. The guys at Orphek guided me with this and looks like there is good par all over my system.

I downloaded the Orphek App off the android store, and it is relatively easy to set up, there is a unique code on the V2 that you need to enter in the app and within a few seconds I had my phone connected to the lights.

The app interface looks like this:

And has preset settings which are:

I still want to play around with these but you can also create your own custom settings from the 4 channels. The blues are astounding!

This is the end result with my corals just starting to wake up, I'm sure acclimation to this light will take some time but for now I am really happy:

In my opinion lighting is probably one of the most important factors to consider aside good water and flow, this is the start of my Orphek journey and I will post updates as it goes along. Once I get my lens filter I will upload better pictures as my phone doesn't capture the true colour unfortunately.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    726.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Thanks for the write up :m106:
Looking forward to seeing the growth of the corals with the upgrade.

Great write up. A whole lot more affordable than I was initially lead to believe.

Somewere the process is broken ordering lights from Orphek. I did a enquiry not so long ago maybe in Decemeber or January. And Orphek wasnt interisted in me when they heard I was from South Africa. They send me straight to Leslie.

Thanks for sharing, I saw the same price in December including free worldwide shipping through DHL express. Thought it was an only December special, cool you still got that price cos BRS in the US is selling them for $1 100 now. Excellent light man!!

Still in acclimation mode.

Attachments

• IMG_20190309_194419_096.jpg
    IMG_20190309_194419_096.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 140

I have the most incredible growth out of this light already. I have changed the mode to coral growth and everything seems happy and soaking up the "sun"

Thanks very much. Tank size is 4ft and coverage is good. Total water volume around 350l

@Devon do you have a tank building thread? Would like to follow your tank updates. Also would like to know how you did your scaping it looks awesome.

Everything is just getting better and I believe the Orphek is what is making the difference.

Hi guys anyone from here interested in an orphek atlantik v4 I have mine that I'm selling with the gateway . Upgrading to bigger tank that's why the sale PM me if anyone interested will send some pics

Back
Top Bottom