3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

An ORP/Redox meter...

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

5. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Is this a sponsor product.

How is Ozone introduced into the water ?

6. Alfie

Alfie

LOL . ORP probe with a Mv controller

7. Alfie

Alfie

Most sponsors will have.

Ozone is introduced preferably by way of a skimmer, yu can use one of these Berlin skimmers. You attach the ozoniser via air tube and linked to your Mv controller. Remember the probe will take about 36 hours to give you a correct reading.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Warr - YES - multiple of our sponsors would be able to supply you with this item. Just post a thread in the "Sponsors Forum" requesting quotes on this....

Ozone is introduced by usually connecting the output pipe of an "OZONIZER" to the skimmer air inlet pipe....... One should NEVER introduce too much ozone to one's tank, because ozone is toxic in large quantities.... can kill your life stock if the ozone is too much/high.

ORP = Oxygen Reduction(?) Potential (I think this is correct - if not, someone will surely correct me on this) is the amount of dissolved oxygen in the tank's water... Too little, and the life stock starts to suffer, and/or nuisance algae might start to grow.

AND: I don't think once can have "too much" ORP in one's tank.

Usually the amount of water surface turbulence, as well as the skimmer bubbles create a high amount of ORP....

9. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

With skimmers, powerheads and pumps running 24/7, how does the ORP get so low that ozone has to be introduced.

10. gaz19

gaz19

a crap skimmer, under rated powerheads or the flow does not reach all parts of the tank? just a guess

11. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Must be something else. All the BIG BOYS run Ozone on their systems, and they have the best gear.

12. jacquesb

Hi Warr - I don't think it's a case of ozone that HAVE to be introduced. The amount of dissolved oxygen in the tank depends on the things that I mentioned, BUT also on the heat / temperature of the water..... The higher the water temp, the less oxygen there is in the water....
    Some people just believe in "OVERKILL" - "just in case".

I believe that ozone ensures that the protein molecules attach to the tiny air bubbles within the skimmer, much better, ensuring that "more" muck is pulled out of the system/water....

13. gaz19

gaz19

ORP is something far more complicated then we think. the "BIG BOYS" dont all run ORP. and they have many years of trial and error experience. a crap skimmer does reduce ORP because it does not let the air come into contact with the water as much as a decent one will.

14. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Part of the Dark Art, I understand the Overkill explanation. The molecule idea makes more sense. If we had to introduce oxygen into the water, there are way easier ways (and cheaper)

15. jacquesb

16. Alfie

Alfie

17. jacquesb

Thanks, Alfie..... I was just trying to say that I am not too sure whether it is a necessity to have ozone added to one's tank...... There are MANY tanks out there that are absolutely stunning, running years without ozone reactors added to their systems....

It's like having a skimmer that's rated for 3000 litres of water, on a 700 litre tank.... My idea of overkill..... It works perfectly well, but it is not REALLY necessary....

Anything that is not REALLY a bare necessity seems to be "for added protection" (ie. my term "overkill").

This is just for explanation purposes for people still in a learning process. This does not mean that every reefer out there now should go out looking to purchase and install an ozone reactor.......

This is VERY specialized equipment - only to be used by EXPERIENCED reefers....

------------------------

I have just read Hennie's explanation of ORP/Redox/Ozone usage - I agree with everything that he says... I am just not able to express myself so nicely as Hennie can! ;-)

Recent Posts