Organic aqua

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by deadmeat2016, 9 Jun 2010.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Just wonderng if anyone out there uses organic aqua and if so why? and why not?
    I started off on it and cycled my tank in 20 mins!! no cyano or brown algae or anything, but stopped using it and some crap happened :(, i was also using tap water though(which i dnt do now!) so was wondering if stopped the organic aqua destroyed the bio filter?:p i only use the fish health treatment now which seems to make the fish 'happier' jus asking for some opinions and experiences....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Deadmeat,

Here is my 2C; I have personally tested 3 products against each other Prodibio, Microbelift and Organic Aqua/ With organic aqua I have found that (just like you) if the OA treatment is stopped the effect is almost "reversed, whereas the other products kept on going for longer without additional dosage.

I also SERIOUSLY doubt their claim to immediate stocking

4. maj

maj

that instant stocking is seriously a "doubt factor"

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I used it when I moved from my 5ft to my 2m tank, I tried the instant stocking method. 13 fish died. But having said that, some guys have had success with it.

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

I think perosnally organic aqua is super effective if used properly, aka you need to keep using it and a whole lot, the general treatment needs 1ml per 4 liters per week which is alot, i emailed them but the replies seemed a bit...empty, they are idiots lol :p it acts as a liqid filter but is only effective when dosed, if usage is stopped, no more liquid bio filter so re cycling happens. im not bashing the product, it works like a bomb but is more expensive than establishing a normal bio filter, and more risky. u guys agree??:)

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I have used the system when I started up my 1m cube reef. I filled the tank with water and moved all livestock over with zero casualties. After some time, I discontinued use and all was fine.

8. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

I think some other guys was just luckier than you, dont think organic aqua had anything to do with it. Obi-Wan should tell the story about how it was "discovered" then you will understand.

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I have used it and it worked well. Also didnt have any negative effects when i stopped.
    I does get a bit expensive if you adding the recommended dosing. I now dose Seachem Stability and the results are much better than i ever got with organic aqua.

10. deadmeat2016

interesting, i might have to be on the lookout for some :yeahdude:

11. crispin

crispin

do any of you know whats in there?

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Nope. I just heard from a reliable source that it is good. Any idea what is in there that makes it work Crispy?

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It's funny, I never dosed anything in one of my tanks and all was fine :whistling:

Ok OK, I dose kalkwasser :p

I just cycled properly ;) - to think with all these fancy so called quick cycle products the manufacturers/suppliers are making a killing from impatient reefers...

14. crispin

crispin

actually ive got a very good idea whats in there, but thats one of the reasons i dont use it:whistling:

but to be honest, no i dont know exactly whats in there, and i'll bet a good sized lather hat that no one else does either. I do know its a plant based extract which has a very short shelf life and i do know that a number of batches have caused major havoc in fresh water ponds, but with the manufacturer unwilling to reveal exactly which plants were used, the actual toxins were never identified.

oh and no two batches are the same.

my main point of interest in asking the question is to find out how many people actually know what they add to their tanks.

15. crispin

crispin

you know tobes, a resent study revealed that almost all alchoholics drink alchohol...

but i agree with what you are saying, snake oils aint worth using :)

16. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

It could be just water with some black bits, no one knows, aka snake oil. OA did not do a thing for my frirst tank`s cycle, and i followed the instructions to the letter, money much better spent on something else, even one of those nano boyu skimmers i reckon gives you more bang for your buck !

17. deadmeat2016

In conclusion i think the fresh water product is very good for noobie feshwater fish keepers, but they havnt quite caught up with the marine crowd with their marine range of products

18. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

I used on on my fresh water holding setup aswell, tanks still went through normal cycle, only reason people thinks it works is because FW fish is much hardier and will survive the cycle (in the beginning i never cycled my fw tanks, this was in '97-99 and can honestly say that i lost at most 4 fish)

19. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ummm, where did it cycle to, and what type of bicycle did it use...

... you could surely not be referring to the marine aquarium nitrogen filtration cycle where by definition enough bacteria need to populate the available "filter" media to enable the conversion of all harmful ammonia/um produced by the tank inmates into inert nitrogen gas :whistling: This is a biological process, and no amount of snake oils (even those extracted from plants...) can miraculously enable such a rapid growth in both aerobic and anaerobic "filtration" bacteria.

Seriously: Many chemical reactions could "bind" nitrogenous molecules such as ammonium, temporarily removing them from bio-availability, but that still does not constitute the "cycling" of a tank, as confirmed by many aquarists who stated that "problems" happen as soon as the regular addition of this stuff stops.

Hennie

20. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

And for this i would suggest Seachem Safe rather than OA.

21. deadmeat2016

Fair enough hennie, but i meant the cyno and diatoms an the algae battle. i filled my tank, salt ect, did test and ammonia was sky high so in went the OA, after bout 1/2 hour it just read 0 on nitr/ites/ates, ammonia, phos, all 0 but its kinda like a cycle limbo, using it for a while I think won't let other bacterias develop, remeber aswell we still dont know whats in the stuff.......:whistling:

Recent Posts