Organic Aqua Discussion

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by crispin, 14 Jul 2008.

1. crispin

crispin

it means that NO ONE at all knows what is in Organic Aqua....and yes I have asked, in greater detail than anyone. If it works great, go for it. Personally i will never put in a supliment that cannot and IS NOT certrified as organic due to the producers refusing to inform me what they actually have in there products, when it was made and how. I make RO water to ensure I KNOW there is nothing else in, i just wouldnt take a chance on a product without an incredient list. Especially made with plant extracts, and again I know more than a little about plant extracts. Personally i love the idea of organic Aqua, but with it uncertified as organic, or uncertified as a product i would just be causious.

i just asked hoping you knew.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. darrencon

darrencon

Ok thats your choice....

4. seank

seank

I bet you cannot write a longer sentence......

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Let's just get some clarity on one thing - are you in any way connected with this product commercially, or by being "buddies" with the owner/seller?

Apologies for asking, but this sounds pretty much like an "infomercial" to me...

Your live rock (and perhaps sand bed - not sure what you have...) would eliminate all ammonia/um and nitrite, so that's not really something the "organic products" can claim to fame.

If a sufficient amount of phosphate remover is used it should result in the phosphate being the "limiting nutrient", and thus restrict algae growth - again I cannot see where the "organic products" would be needed for this.

From their website: "Mixture of different plant extracts & essential water soluble oils that will reduce toxic gases (ammonia, nitrite) & instantly create a natural, balanced ecology."

I would be VERY interested to see what chemical reactions take place to "instantly create a natural, balanced ecology" :whistling: If such a magic product was available it would radically change the waste-water treatment of municipal sewerage plants and other polluted water treatment operations, so why are we still battling to treat our waste waters world wide...
    I'm sorry if I'm skeptic, but this sounds like another of those "snake oil" products to me :whistling:

By the way, here's a photo taken some years ago of a 4' tank which I ran skimmerless for a few years without using any "organic products" - and also without any phosphate remover... Ammonium, nitrite AND nitrate levels were below the detection limit of hobbyist test kits.

[​IMG]

Hennie

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Chris from Northlands pets said something to the effect that it was made by the same people that do the water purification in SA.Must chat to him about it in detail.

7. 2balive

2balive

Conversion

I looked at this product for my Discus tank about 18 months ago, and it is getting rave reviews for the low nitrate levels it manages. (no LR and no DSB for Discus tanks, but I know better now, no reason you should not use the same principles there as what is used in marine (Henk, good freshwater topic)).

Three questions:

- can you simple convert a current LR and DSB (no skimmer) setup to this by starting to add the products?

- does UV, carbon and phosphate filtering effect this, or will it be affected by it?

- it warns again allowing your filter wool to go biological active and that you have to wash it to prevent this from happening. What is the difference with your LR becoming biological active?

8. Mekaeel

I would think in the long run it might work out too much as compared to having a skimmer,LR and substrate.
    eg. bacteria - R85.00
    General treatment - R230.00
    and the one more product (cant recall name and price now)

9. 2balive

2balive

Still have not figured out how to add a skimmer to my 24g JBJ :(

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Hey guys,

I have personally used this on FW tanks in the past and it works. I am not 100% sure if it will work on a marine system as the whole filter setup is completely dif.

I normally just chuck in a double dose when setting up a new tank, let it run for 24 hours and then stock the tank. We have done with a couple of times with 0 losses.

11. darrencon

darrencon

No Reef Maniac I dont know the owner of Organic aqua and he is not my buddy.... I have spoken to him a few times but that for advice on my tank with his product.

12. Mekaeel

Darren, please state the dosages that the owner has given you of each product please.I've used the stuff,but just once off while i had to move my tank.

13. darrencon

darrencon

He says I must follow the directions on the products. I basically put in 8 capfulls of the general treatment once a week. The BBac i put in half a teaspoon every month and the health treatment I sprinkle about half a cup in when I do my water changes.... every 6 weeks or so....

14. Mekaeel

So half a teaspoon every month of BBac. They should atleast give the proper directions of BBac on the bottle.

15. darrencon

darrencon

yeah agreed....

I also run my tank by looking at the conditions of the inmates. My anemone is my gatekeeper as they dont like poor water conditions...

16. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Mek - they refure to tell anyone what is in there... i wont dose something that doesnt list into a reef tank....

17. Mekaeel

Yeah,it would be good if someone could contact the agency directly and ask them to please detail their products.

18. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

they refuse outright. i have met the guys a couple of times.... just totally refuse

19. Mekaeel

Will have a chat with Chris from Northlands to give more info on the products.

20. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

The shops dont know either. i used to work at Panorama petshop.... and they used to come in there and do promo's etc.... they refuse outright to tell anyone whats in there

21. Mekaeel

Thats the reason why Julies pets turned them down here.

Recent Posts