Orca bio cubes or NP reactor?

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by mahi-mahi, 11 Sep 2013.

1. mahi-mahi

mahi-mahi

Hi everyone, just need some advise, I've been struggeling with algae for a month or 2, I did run orca bio cubes( platinum) for about 5 months the bomb method! And had my algae under control. A had a outbreak of WS and took all my fish out. My tank has been running 6 weeks now without any fish, just my corals and 2 shrimp are in the tank. So my algae problem can't be because off overfeeding, now I'm considering putting in a media reactor with np pellets, to get my nitrates and phosphates down. Or should I stick to orca? Maybe orca in a reactor? I did add a coral grow T5 globe to my light unit about 5 weeks back could that be the cause of the algae? Want to sort out the algae problem before I add fish again! Or maybe is my problem because there are no fish in my system so nothing is eating the algae? Got mostly bubble algae and green hair algae. Any input would be help thanks!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

you have to replace the cubes every 6 to 7 months. check your parameters first though. if your Phosphates and NO3 has started creeping up again then it is time to replace it.

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You don't replace the bio cubes, you add more when needed. The cubes will slowly get eaten by the bacteria from my understanding and that is why the volume decreases. I have been running cubes for 10 months and have not once had the need to add more. Don't run the cubes in a reactor. I had to restart my cubes 3 times due to pumps failing or clogging up and flow stopping.

carlosdeandrade likes this.
  5. Zandy

Zandy

As i have mentioned before , running Orca in a reactor is not as effective as running it the bomb method. Th NP reactor will not assist in the algae problem. What other CUC do you have in your tank? I would also look at ways to increase the gas exchange in the tank. Orca needs to be "topped up" every couple of months. Try to add some sort of bacteria eg. Prodibio to help increase the bacterial population to assist with the absorbtion of the algae. Good habestry and regular water changes will also benefit the tank.

6. mahi-mahi

mahi-mahi Thread Starter

What I don't like about the bomb method is that like we all know tangs are messy eaters and some uneaten food does make it into the orca cubes. Isn't it then better to run orca in a reactor?

7. Express Reef

Express Reef

Cubes dont break down food... it break down no3 & Po4... uneaten food must be skimmed out via skimmer...

8. Zandy

Zandy

Running the bio cubes in a reactor will break them apart that they become in effective becuase of the shaking around. I would suggest that you find a "filter" system just before the orca in order to trap most of the bigger uneaten food before it reach the Orca. Orca has and will always be effective as long as you follow the directions as indicated. The fact that you have increased phosphate and nitrate would suggest that the time has arrived where you should be adding an additional bottle or biocubes together with the ones you currently have.

9. mahi-mahi

mahi-mahi Thread Starter

No CUC zandy, how do I prefilter the water before it goes through the orca?

10. the fish

the fish

get a filter sock and connect it to the inlet pipe to your sump

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

use a filter sock

12. 3dd

3dd

You can use a filter sock, add the sock where you overflow drains into the sump.

This does stop allot of detritus going into the sump, but alas it won't stop everything.

13. Zandy

Zandy

I will bbm you a photo shortly regarding the pre-filter i use. The CUC is a crucial part of any marine system. You should get some mexican turbo snails ect that will assist in the cleaning up of your tank. Some crabs will also be usefull. A normal filter sock over the inlet will also trap the bigger pieces of dirt prior to the skimming process

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@mahi-mahi, you will have the same problem with a np pellets, there will always be some detritus entering the reactor. At least with the bomb method, the air stone will agitate the bag which should leave it free of detritus. I have run NP pellets before, I found them to be tedious, my flow was never correct and I needed to make sure that there was also agitation of the pellets.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. 3dd

3dd

A bit quicker than I was on the typing there Dallas :lol:

16. mahi-mahi

mahi-mahi Thread Starter

So I should put n filter sock over my overflow pipe? And then the orca over the filter sock?

17. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

the cubes shouldnt be near or in a filter sock, they come with their own bag. just prefilter the water and leave the cubes in the bag in the sump.

yes you can add a filter sock over the drain pipe

18. mahi-mahi

mahi-mahi Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everyone

19. Zandy

Zandy

Pleasure now go out and get some CUC !!!! (Clean up crew)

20. mahi-mahi

mahi-mahi Thread Starter

Lol this is middelburg if I ask the shops here for a CUC they're gonna give me a pleggo and fresh water snails!!!!

21. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Recent Posts