orange sponge

Reaction score
I have seen an orange sponge in a shop and is just wondering, does anyone have experience in keeping these in his tank? What are the advantages / disadvantages?

Sponges are cool, but lots of them dont survive. You have to make sure they are not exposed to air at any stage. They are non photsynthetic, and have the associated feeding requirements, although many can survive without target feeding if your tank is "dirty" enough

Must say they look so "artificial" there in the shop. How do you know that it really is alive?

Must also remember that sponges grow in areas where the rock is 100% exposed at low tide so I dont know about being exposed to air but perhaps some species are not tolorent of our atmospheric conditions, I have alot of sponge on my good LR in my sump and it gets exposed when the water level is low and its been gowing for years with no issues

Iv got some of the white ones on my LR they just like little flow and low light and I exposed them to air with no issues

Must also remember that sponges grow in areas where the rock is 100% exposed at low tide so I dont know about being exposed to air but perhaps some species are not tolorent of our atmospheric conditions, I have alot of sponge on my good LR in my sump and it gets exposed when the water level is low and its been gowing for years with no issues

I think it depends on the sponge. I had a sponge once that was doing fantastic up until I let it hit the air once for too long (after which it died rather quickly). On the other hand, I know there are sponges that are exposed to air at low tide and they manage to survive. I've also had plenty of hitchhiker sponges that definitely got exposed to air in transport but which did just fine. So it must just depend on the type of sponge.

Back
Top Bottom