ORA Certified Spotted Mandarin...

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by belindamotion, 17 Dec 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Looks like no need for a +-9month Tank anymore...these have been raised on prepared foods...I actually like the idea...I wanted one for.. when my Tank matures...but changed my mind as I was worried about it starving to death...might reconsider...if we get ORA Fish...

Tank Raised Spotted Mandarin
    [SIZE=-2]Synchiropus picturatus[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]ORA Mandarins have been raised on a variety of prepared foods. Hobbyists of all levels can now own and enjoy these easy to keep Mandarin Dragonets thanks to the research and production efforts of ORA. Approximately 1 year old...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Description:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-2]ORA Spotted Mandarins have light green bodies with unique turquoise, black and orange bull’s-eye patterns. Their face masks have beautiful turquoise and orange stripes. They can be kept in mated pairs or singly. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2][SIZE=-2]ORA was the first to introduce significant numbers of captive-bred Mandarin Dragonets, also know as Mandarin Gobies, to the commercial aquarium market. The striking colors and patterns of the Mandarin make them one of the most popular and common marine aquarium fish on the market, but the wild-caught specimens have a reputation as being difficult to feed and maintain. Those concerns are resolved as ORA Mandarins have been raised on a variety of prepared foods. Hobbyists of all levels can now own and enjoy these easy to keep Mandarin Dragonets thanks to the research and production efforts of ORA.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]All of ORA’s captive bred mandarins will accept a variety of prepared frozen and dry foods upon acclimation to their new tank. They may be offered Nutramar Ova, finely chopped Hikari Frozen Blood Worms, fish roe, frozen or live baby brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, and New Life SPECTRUM Small Fish Formula pellets. Some have also shown interest in Cyclopeeze.

Recommended Tank size:
    A peaceful fish that will fare best in the established reef tank provided there are no aggressive tankmates that may compete for food.In the aquarium, provide them with plenty of rockwork in which to hunt and hide. The minimum tank requirement is generally stated as 10 gallon with 50lbs or more of live rock.

Level of Care:
    Moderate

Reef Compatibility:
    Very good reef or community fish.

http://www.aquacon.com/blennies_saltwaterfish.html

Blue Mandarin | Synchiropus splendidus | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Aquacultured Dragonets | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    [/SIZE]

Last edited: 17 Dec 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

been around a long time already, you have to have a tank that does not have boisterous fish as it will not get to the food

4. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Do we know if any of the sponsors bring these guys in and how much? They are very cool.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

Has it been around a long time here in SA also...? As it's my understanding that just about everyone I've spoken to about the Mandarin still only describe the Mandarin as if it was the wild caught one...I don't even recall reading about the ORA Mandarin on MASA...basically everwhere it's +-9months...hard to keep...lives off pods..live Brime Shrimp...won't take prepared foods...maybe if you'r lucky...:confused1:...so I thought they are all wild-caught..this is actually one of the Fishes I DECLINED when I was suggested the Mandarin at a LFS..I was like..:eek:.. and gave a nice speech about the requirements of the Mandarin and my Tank's lack there-of..:dft001:

6. student

student

very cool
    I took a risk and bought a wild caught mandarin: and he chows brine, enriched brine, mysis and chunks of hake...and was eating these prepared foods within a week.
    with
    I'm very lucky and sorry for the boasting, but i guess my point is that there are mandarins out there that dont cost R900 and will get onto prepared foods quite easily..:)
    even if they are very rare

7. belindamotion

Well if it's been around a long time, then maybe the majority of the Mandarins in our LFS are all raised on prepared foods and maybe not wild-caught as what the majority of the public thinks..at least I know now that I can ask the LFS what he feeds them as I never bothered asking about this Fish as I assumed it was all "wild-caught" and a excellent possibility that it wouldn't take prepared foods..if I ask a LFS now what does he feed it...I might end up being pleasantly suprised when he says prepared foods..:biggrin:

8. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

There is a shop in SA that brings them in on request I think. First lot came in quite a few months ago already. But he is not a sponsor here.

The spotted one in the pic is the only one that has been captive bred so far. The one we mostly see in the shops are all still wild caught.

9. belindamotion

When you say "the one's we see in the shops are all still wild caught"...are you refering to the Blue Mandarin...? As this Link from ORA has a List of all their Fishes and the Blue Mandarin is also on the List..
    Aquacultured Dragonets | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The one that all the shops have is the Synchiropus splendidus (Green Mandarin)

11. Alias

Alias

I'd buy on of these, anyone mind PM'ing me the contact?

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

The spotted mandarins that eat flakes are pricey...like R700 each. Havent actually heard of anymore coming in since that first shipment...there was a mated pair floating around EL a while back from that shipment, dont know where they are now, but they were eating pellets I remember seeing them do so. :)

Recent Posts