Opinion on the Red Sea Max tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Rkieser, 17 Jun 2011.

1. Rkieser

Rkieser

Hi

I am extremely new to the hobby and have been doing a bit of research on tanks, just to gauge pricing. I came across the Red Sea Max 250 tank and was wondering if this is a good direction to go in, i.e. if its a good tank or setup?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

Thanks
    Ryan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ThaneF

ThaneF

Hi Ryan,

I have the little brother of the 250, the 130D and I love the tank (sure, i have done a few upgrades). I have seen a lot of 250's and they always look great... a good piece of tech if you ask me.

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

There's no such thing - only stupid answers...

Personally, I would rather build up a system myself - it is generally cheaper, and one can ensure that everything works as it should (getting the exact lights that you want, having the water movement as strong as you want, etc.). I'm not saying the Red Sea is a bad buy, just that IMHO DIY will be better and cheaper :whistling:

Hennie

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I'm with Hennie, DIY is always better as you get exactly what you want, although having said that, I have seen quite a few RSM250 tanks and they are really nice tanks, they cost a small fortune but if you can afford it I wouldn't hesitate in recommending one of these for a marine setup. One thing I have noticed in the tanks that I have seen, is that if you live in a particularly warm house then you may need to look at purchasing a chiller, the built-in cooling fans are good but sometimes are not enough on really hot days.

Do shop around though, I notice you are in Cape Town, have you had a look at the Oceanson tanks? I haven't seen them myself but they look like quite nice setups - aquariums - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

6. lIghty

lIghty

Depend on what you want?

If you want bigger ( not necessarily better) then go custom, but costs will add up very quickly!

But if you want a decent size tank that looks neat and clean, go with the RSM250! It's an all in one beaut! With a very good finish.

You have to compare apples with apples, get the price of the tank, equipment and cabinets, not cheap....

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

One more thing to consider: The long-term stability/strength of the stand. I don't know what the Red Sea stands are made of, but do be aware that stands made from chipboard or superwood tend to warp and later disintegrate (I'm talking after some years...) due to the high humidity, which could result in the tank failing catastrophically. I would insist on a stand made from solid wood, or preferably from metal (it could, of course, then be clad in superwood or whatever you like, as the structural load will be carried by the solid wood or metal)

Many of these "fancy" tank stands also have a vertical support in the centre of the tank span. This effectively stops the use of a large sump, covering most of the "footprint" of the display tank above, also not ideal...

Hennie

8. flappy

flappy

I agree,always better to do the research and then purchase.The problem with an all in one system is always going to be future upgrades/expansion.It might have the convinience factor now but 9 times out of 10 you will upgrade in this wonderful hobby of ours.If you want to see my system as i see you in cpt do not hesitate to give me a shout.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2011
  9. Rkieser

Rkieser Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the input.

I agree that I should probably go the DIY route (scary option based on my skills). I intend spending the next few months learning and researching and will then hopefully have an understanding of my requirements and needs and look at building something that meets these. I am nervous about spending a wad of cash on something that does not do everything I want.

Thanks
    Ryan

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

get in touch with the CPT guys. They will help you out

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Hi Ryan, I have a RSM 250, very nice tank, but I have done tons of mods, however I would go woth the guys above, rather spend that amount of money on building your own system.
    In hindsight, that is what I would've done, goodluck though.:thumbup:

12. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

If you are not great at DIY or dont fully understand system design, rather go with an all in one system like the RSM. Its not cheap, but its quality finished and does not look out of place in a designer lounge. Unfortunately a lot of DIY systems, while functional, are an eye sore if not properly crafted and finished off.

While a DIY might give one the exact features you are looking for, I'd be surprised if it can be done a lot cheaper. If you have all the woodwork and cabinetry tools and are a proper craftmen, maybe then, maybe...

Recent Posts