Operating cost?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by AdrianTregoning, 19 Dec 2011.

1. AdrianTregoning

AdrianTregoning

Good Day,

After too many years of not having an aquarium I’m thinking of firing one up again, almost definitely a reef tank. I have zero experience with salt water tanks. My last tank was a Malawian cichlid setup.

My question is, and I know this is almost a ‘how long is a piece of string question’, but: What are the monthly expenses typically associated with a fish only setup? And with a tank full of live rock, inverts etc? I plan to build an 800 litre tank, volume excluding the sump. I will design and build everything myself, probably the tank too.

Also, what would you estimate the power usage of a tank like this to consume? I’ve just sold most of my life to the bank and am considering going all the way now to complete the mission of slavery :) Seems the logical thing to do. I know the people here are super helpful and experienced, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Adrian

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

That really is a "how long is a piece of string" question, haha. We will need more info. Like if you want to go reef what type of reef , softies, sps mixed etc. This will let us be able to guess the hardware and supplements you will be needing.

4. AdrianTregoning

AdrianTregoning Thread Starter

To be honest I haven't given it that much thought, yet. But was just wanting some ball park figures to begin with. :whistling: I know, the piece of string could vary a lot in length...

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

on best guess, between R200-R500
    all depends on lights, pumps used, husbandry regime etc

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

OH WOW...for a Newbie like me sitting with a 58L Nano, you question sounds overwhelming..:lol: Ok...Salt...you get say 20kg Salt at R600...or 20kg at R1100...depends on what you buy....
    Then you get Additives...Calcium...Magnesium...Alk..etc...they also differ in prices, according to the Brand you choose...having said that...you will go thru these Additives at a different rate, according to the stability of you'r water parameters..in a nutshell ofcause......same with foods...depends on what you feed...then I suppose the RO water from the LFS(Local Fish Shop) or your own RO Machine also comes into play...in you'r case you would buy a RO Unit and Filter you'r own water...remember in Marine Tanks we use RO Water and not Tap water..

That I would say depends on what lights you have...Metal Halide or fluorescent or LED's...then I think pumps, heaters, return pumps all have a say in you'r consumption too...
    Geez... hope I gave you some form of useable info...:p

7. Annoying

Annoying

I think you need zero's on those figures:whistling:

For fish only I would say, between R2000-R5000 like Dallas said, for a semi reef I would say R5000-R8000, for a full blown sps reef of that size I would say R10000 and up. This will be the initial costs

8. AdrianTregoning

AdrianTregoning Thread Starter

Excellent, thanks everyone! Initial costs I'm not too worried about, it's the on going costs I was just curious about, and naturally that's pretty important for the monthly budget! Appreciate the advice :thumbup: I'll definitely be on this forum many more times before I begin the process.. :blush: I'll post some design ideas next week or so :) Time to hit the grindstone again

9. Express Reef

Express Reef

I got a +-500L setup DT + Sump, The start up cost was R22000.00 thats for the stand, tank, sump, heater and so on... still short a chiller thats about R4500.00. Then you will need RO water, I did not have a RO machine so I went to Eish2O to buy RO water @0.88c per liter so thats about R450.00 for RO water without Sea Salt, the Salt is round about R800.00... life rock, you will need about 50kg to start @ R100 p/kg...

if you got the $$$$ will go for it, but if not, go for a little bit smaller system...

I`m also still new, and my tank is only cycling now for one mnth period, with only a clean up crew... so I dont know my monthly cost as for now... but what I do know... I need to digg deep into my pockets, there will always be something you need to buy... and all costa`la`plenty $$$$

10. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:eek::eek::eek:...you must be speed reading...:lol:...or else I'm NEVER upgrading..:tt2:

...:whistling:

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Guy asked for operating costs which would be monthly and there dallas would be accurate. You are talking setup cost which is thousands. If the monthly cost was thousands no one would have it.

12. Annoying

Annoying

My bad:whistling:

Recent Posts