Operate my skimmer for the best way for the tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by clown, 4 May 2009.

1. clown

clown

Hi ALL, Hope all hade a great week-end.

I would like some advise about my Skimmer.

I put my skimmer on that it skim at a rate that i have to empty the cup every 5th day.

Is this to slow for My 120lt tank or must I set it Faster.

I put my skimmer of For an Hour and half when I feed my Fantail worms.

Best regards
    Clown :yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

What skimmer is it, how long has the tank been running, what bioload do you have? It sounds ok from what you're telling me.

4. lIghty

lIghty

Like Tony said, what skimmer is it?

Secondly, you really setup a skimmer that you get X amount of skimmate in X days, you should set it so that you get a nice coffee/light coffee colour skimmate in the cup.

Also, your skimmer would work much better if you cleaned it more regularly, say every 2-3days

5. clown

clown Thread Starter

I have only Live rock in there wich 5 fantail worms just apeared 5 weeks ago.

Salt is 1.24 and should get two chromis at the end of the week.

The skimmer is a Boyu skimmer.

I need the best result for the tank.

thanx

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Clown - there are 2 terms, when it comes to "skimmer adjustments":
    - one is: skimming DRY
    - the other: skimming WET

If you "skim dry", then you don't have to clean the skimmer up out that often, BUT, you do get a thicker gunkier "skimmate".

If you set your skimmer to skim "wet", then you get a more watery skimmate, usually lighter in color, and less stinky...

The idea, I have found, is to have a balance between these two.....

Each has it's own merits.... and sometimes, you actually WANT to skim wet, and other times you WANT to skim drier.....

Best is to monitor your lifestock - and at this stage, you don't have much of a bio-load.

So, for now - your skimming is PERFECT..... wait until you get fish and corals, then ask this question again.

7. clown

clown Thread Starter

Thank you J,

I will advise you when I have some Fish in.

"Each has it's own merits.... and sometimes, you actually WANT to skim wet, and other times you WANT to skim drier....."
    So when I add fish in ,the best is going to have a skimate between Wet and dry?

8. jacquesb

Jip........ slightly wet with a terrible dark coloration and a terrible stink. That's what you WANT to aim for ;) LOL!

9. clown

clown Thread Starter

Thank you J.

I just want a Idea when I have fish in - Must my skimmer skim so that I have to cleaned every 3 days and keep it set as "slightly wet with a terrible dark coloration and a terrible stink".

This is my last Q on this subject for now Until I hade the fish in for 2 weeks.

Best regards

10. jacquesb

You can indeed have you skimmer set that way, Clown. My skimmer's cup has an outlet that removes the "dirty skimmate" to a 25 litre drum, standing outside. This 25 litre drum fills up in a week ;)

11. clown

clown Thread Starter

how big is you setup???
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. jacquesb

Hi Clown -

I have 2 tanks. One 2 metre tank, with a total water volume of +-870 litres. And my "small tank" being a Jewel 300 aquarium - being a total of 300 litres of water (no sump - just an intank skimmer, and a hang-on skimmer).....

The 2 metre tank is my reef tank - with corals and fish... :) and a lot of anemone's! :thumbup:

13. nadia

nadia

can u please explain the dry and wet skimming ur talking bout? i have a built in skimmer in a small Boyu tank and it just runs by itself. Do i have to adjust anything? i get a different skimmate each day. sometimes light tea colour, sometimes dark and stinky. obviously got to do with feeding schedule. i also have a loose standing Boyu skimmer for my other tank and heave had no joy w it. it started annihalating itself with the spinning wheel.

14. jacquesb

Hi Nadia - yes, usually the reefer HAVE to adjust the skimmer, to produce the BEST gunk that's the best for your tank.
    What you are explaining to me, is either due to the skimmer being instable (some skimmers require constant fiddling, to get the adjustments as close to perfect as possible), or to your feeding regime.....
    The ideal, is to have the skimmate NEARLY ALWAYS dark and stinky.

"Dry" skimming, means that the internal water level of the skimmer sits lower, within the skimmer. Making the bubbles start accumulating earlier on - creating less smaller, and more bigger bubbles. The DOC's and proteins in the water, then clump together on these bigger bubbles..... giving LESS water in the skimmate, and more proteins...
    BUT, skimming dry, sometimes leads to the "neck" of the skimmer building up a thick layer of "gunk" (which is not taken OUT of the neck into the skimmer cup, but stays inside the neck of the skimmer). This requires you to manually clean the skimmer cup and neck, more often, otherwise this impedes the working of the skimmer.

Skimming "wet", means that the internal water level inside the skimmer, is higher up the neck of the skimmer. This also means that many more smaller bubbles is pushed up higher, and together with the smaller bubbles, a much more watery substance.... This substance (skimmate) ends up inside the cup.

If the water level is FAR to high, then the skimmate is far too wet - meaning, it is not dark enough, and stinky enough. Meaning that you are removing MORE water from your skimmer, than dissolved organic matter and proteins....

Therefor, you want a watery, very dark green/brown, extremely stinky substance....

This sometimes takes a lot of fiddling with the water levels inside the skimmer, before you achieve this goal.

Good luck, Nadia!

15. clown

clown Thread Starter

Hi J.

Thank you for the way you explained the skimmate it to Nadia.
    I hade a Idea, but now I understand it so much better.
    My One doe not stink realy and is not to dark - it is because I have nolfish in the tank as yet. I feed m 5 small fantail worms one's a week a small bit.

You must please send me photos of you're tanks.

16. jacquesb

17. nadia

nadia

Thanx J, What A Thourough Xplanation. U Could Write A Book !!! (or Have U Already) Thanx For T Good Advice.

18. clown

clown Thread Starter

Hi J,

I tryed to make a Diagram that you maby can advise on +- Ideal water level in the next. I marked it in red please advise if that is correct or where it have to be.
    I just thinking that a picture can help some one.
    l_/ \_l

thanx Clown

19. jacquesb

Clown - in this case, the skimmer will MOST likely end up skimming dry..... BUT, don't change the water level now. Wait until you have fish in your tank.... you might want to experiment a few times over a period of 6 months or so... to get the "perfect" setting....

20. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Hi clown. I have a feeling i met you at aqua concepts the other day?

21. clown

clown Thread Starter

Hi Steve ,

If I think about it , it can be you that I met at Aqua concepts.
    Where you whering 3/4 jean short and have a type of beart?

You where there to get Or-water.

I am the short man that walked up toe you and asked you about you're tank.

Recent Posts