Open Brain coral advice

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an Open Brain Coral (trachyphyllia geoffroyi) that looks like a dried prune in the day, but opens a little at night.
All other corals are happy
has been in the tank 4 months now

This is what he looks like at night

P1020558.jpg

Could be from too much light, but considering the colour of the specimen, I doubt it... More a case of starvation.

feed it, these corals require supplimentary feeding. They have large fleshy polyps, and require protein for building tissue. The shrivveled prune appearance will eventually become smaller and smaller and tissue will recede that the skeleton becomes visible.

I had one where about a third of the skeleton was showing, and after regular feeding, it has increased in size to re-covering 90 percent of the exposed skeleton.

Thanks I will give that a bash and feed him when I feed the elegance

From the pic I doubt it, make sure some little pygmy angel isnt taking a nip from time to time stopping it from opening properly.

As I say, just a small posibility.

Gently drop a small piece of food, like hake, onto the fleshy part. Then watch in amazement how it moves it into its mouth.

They definatly do need feeding, watchout the fish dont steal the food first esp wrasse.

I reckon the most likely culprit is a fish, seeing as it is during the day that it closes up - but as said it could just need feeding, i used krill pacifica (frozen stuff) waft it around until you see the feeding polyps(?) come out then sprinkle liberally or hold them really close until you feel them being pulled out of you fingers. that way the lobo will get fed without fishy interference.

Do all LPS Corals need to be fed like this ?

Target feeding is a good way to ensure your lps corals get fed without interference of your fish stealing the food - which not only stops the coral eating it also bothers the coral, you can use the bottom of a 2lt coca cola bottle with a tube going down to it, gently cover the coral - without touching it - then pour the food down through a turkey baster over the coral.

Back
Top Bottom