Open Bottom Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dutchdog, 24 Feb 2012.

1. dutchdog

dutchdog

So I am researching tanks and tankdesigns. I got a few quotes, but unfortunately I cant afford their tanks/labour.

I am looking for someone who can build tanks in their spare time over the weekends who has been doing this for years and who wants to make some extra money on the side and who is intrested in this project. It will be for discus fish and not for marine.

I have been looking at this exact tank design. Please no flame war if it is good or not, as I find it atractive and it will work for my needs. (high aquarium, still easy maintainable.)

For those with an open mind, I was blown away by this concept. The pressure on the top part is inwards and not outwards apperently.. intresting. Bottom section must be big enough and solid enough to hold water column in case of disaster. colum must be same dimensions so I wonder how to calculate what glass to take here or even to make it out of polycarbonate or even a cylinder polycarbonate.

I dig this design very much and gives a lot of advantages over convential design. :thumbup:

Freshwater OPEN BOTTOM TANK discus

Marine OPEN BOTTOM TANK

Quote:

Taking away the stress of maintaining your aquarium will bring back the enjoyment that fish keeping once brought you. THE OPEN BOTTOM TANK
    Advantages
    ) No more splashing salt water out from tank to mess up surrounding area
    2) Water evaporation cause by air pump reduced by 100%
    3) Waterfall can be constructed inside tank to create a stronger current
    4) Air flow can be increased as bubbling air ONLY rise into top tank. All dried salt will fall back into tank.
    5) Free movement for fish to navigate between top and bottom tank
    6) Hiding space at bottom tank for the smaller fish. More coral can be added into lower tank
    7) Dead fish if any can be easily removed from the bottom opening outlet without having to remove coral to reach them
    8) No fear on over flow filter as box filter is constructed inside lower tank
    9) Replacement or cleaning of sponge in box filter can be easily removed in the lower tank
    10) Changing of water in top tank is not require
    11) Cut down cost on salt due to NO splasing water droplet cause by airpump, as air stone usually create air bubble that will mess up the exterior of the fish tank with salt.
    12) Very suitable for those busy people who have no time at all to maintain their tank yet love to keep one at home
    13) Waterpump will NOT run dry when partial change of water is in progress
    14) Easy to maintain
    15) Simplified
    16) High tank and easy access for cleaning and water changes.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I need a Google Sketch-up to understand that Tank...:p..to me it looks like "reflection" of the one Tank, but I know it isn't...looks stunning...:thumbup:...with all my "googeling...I can't believe I didn't see this before....
    [​IMG]

Upside down Aquarium | Creuzer
    http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=fishtankhome The DIY you probably want...​

Last edited: 24 Feb 2012
  4. dutchdog

dutchdog Thread Starter

U sure ur nickname is not cheeky? ;) Did u google google sketchup.. lol. Yes very awesome.
    I thought about this myself two weeks ago on this very same principle. One could have an outdoor koi pond, connected to an indoor huge fishtank wall and have koi swim in and out of your house..

Since I now was looking at tanks for discus, I suddenly stumbled onto this again.. Very weird, but greatfull I did. They use these high tanks to fully develop discus fish in height as they need height. A 1m high tank cleaning the bottom is a PITA. Here one can clean and top up at ground level. One just needs to make sure the bottom tank is big enough to hold volume of water of top section incase anything ever goes wrong..

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I am keen. Built tanks since i was two bricks and a ticky high. How much is the extra on the side?

6. dutchdog

dutchdog Thread Starter

PM send. This can be a very cool build project. :)

I emailed the builder for more info and drawings possible.
    especialy on glass thickness used etc.

Have pondered making the bottom section out of different materials IE metal, fiberglass (and cover as stand) but then again the cool thing is that one can see the fish at ground level or just above. (small stand maybe)

Have also been looking up polycarbonate suppliers in Jozi and even polycarbonate tubes was an option as long as they are BIG and thats probably quite expensive.

If glass, then starphire glass, although pricey.. just weighing options and finding best way to start this adventure.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2012
  7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

No need to pay me bud. Info is free here. But I am sure the guys would appreciate a bunny gram tomorrow. :1:

Come along to the meet and get many insights into your project.:thumbup:

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

9. Rod

Rod

Not so. The silicon joints will be subject to the same stresses. Pressure is pressure. I also notice people are under the impression one can bubble air into the inverted tank, if you do so it will empty.
    Nice project though.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2012
  10. Rod

Rod

This may be useful?

11. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

What I don't understand here is, the bubbles are going up into the top tank. So the water level should drop in the top tank. How do they achieve to keep the water in the top tank and how safe is it?
    How does one suck up water into the top tank until it's full? A vacuum is needed to pull the water up.

Rod likes this.
  12. Rod

Rod

If you look carefully the bubbles are outside the inverted tank. Have to be.
    Agree with you, one needs a vacuum. How? Still trying to suss it out.

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Rod likes this.
  14. Rod

Rod

15. LuckyFish

Thanks for the link, Rod. That explains how it works. However, having such vacuum pump made, how high can suck such pump the water into the column?
    All depends at the size of the top tank. Such vacuum pump might pull 20 litre up into the top tank. But a few hundred? This pump has to suck against the gravity. I can imagine that such pump could suck water into a 110mm pipe up to a meter, which will hold roughly 8 litres.

People who install and maintain aircons, will have a vacuum pump. That one can suck up water into a 10 metre high pipe. But sucking up tank volume is a different story.

16. LuckyFish

I don't see the benefit of such tank. As a partial feature which covers just a part of the surface, it can be a eye catcher.

17. Rod

Rod

Going to build one with a standard air pump. Will publish pics. Give me a week.
    It may be impractical but sounds like fun to do!

Last edited: 26 Feb 2012
  18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This video will give you an idea as to the max height the water can be.

Just remember that a vaccum is a -14.5 PSI so the vacuum pump only need to suck 14,5 psi

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Salt-water holds a lot less oxygen compared to fresh water. And we are dependant on the surface movement for gas exchange. The bubbles inside does not actually do the gas exchange, is the upward flow with the bubbles that creates a circular flow, that we need for the gas exchange. And the bigger the surface area, the greater the possibility for gas exchange.

Not sure how this "upside down" tank will do that. Definitely with a lot less inmates than other similar in volume systems can do.

20. Rod

Rod

Watched it! Made everything clear as mud!
    Wrong, pressure is measured x/cm squared, so area has nothing to do with pressure.
    Metric pressure is one bar.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2012
  21. LuckyFish

Pressure has nothing to do with area. The pressure at the bottom of a 10 metre high pipe with 10mm in diameter, is 1 bar or 100kpa, when filled with water. The pressure in the ocean at a depth of 10 metre is the same.
    But upwards, the gravity will work against it. You will be probably able to suck water 2 metres high through an airline. Try that with a bigger hosepipe. Won't work.

Recent Posts