one for the durban guys!

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by leslie hempel, 6 Feb 2013.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i came across this on facebook, i have seen the netting practice being done on my visits there..

read the letter copied and pasted below!

Hi Guys this was a letter to Ken Morty from KZN Wildlife about the Sein Netters at Vetchs who are plundering shoals of fish. You can also complain by emailing mortyk@kznwildlife.com - please also post photos of the plunder if you are there and see it, it would be appreciated! Please see this letter sent by Anthony Alder

Dear Ken

I am mailing you in the hope that the message that enough is enough will finally get to someone and something will be done!

The continuous wholsale slaughter of marine life by the Sein Netters continues day to day and especially at this time of the year when the snoek run is on. Hearing stories that these netters coninue to plunder this area with total disregard to the public, the law or the environment has now become something of a serious urgency and has to be stopped and stopped now. I have myself witnessed the lauching (just last Friday) of the netters MOTORISED RUBBER DUCK where I had no doubt in my mind that they were looking for snoek however as fast as they launched I managed to get hold of Paul Buchel who was there in a flash with his boat but unfortunately was too late as the netters quickly managed to beach the boat and take it back to their area by the Ski Boat Club before Paul could get there. I am 100% sure they were tippped of…. Unfortuntaely and stupidly I did not take a picture but I can tell you that there was a net on the boat with three crew who were in cell phone contact with the “leader” of the pack Morgan who in his usual manner was orchestrating the netting from the shore. No they did not place a net and no they managed to get no fish on this occasion however I am 100% convinced that they had every intention and their rush to put the boat back was clear evidence they knew something was brewing. In my understanding these guys are allowed only their use of a motorised vessel during the sardine run – is that true – the rest of the time is paddle power only? Rest aside whether or not they can or they cant this daily wholesale plunder of the marine life along the Vetchs area continues day and night with scant regard for anyone or the environment and simply put we have had enough.
    There are a few guys at Ezemvilo who are doing a sterling job and may I at this point single out Paul Buchel whom I talk very regularly and with who has been outstanding in his efforts to curb poaching – the feeling I get from him is he is as gatvol of all this as the rest of the public is and very rightly so.
    Yes we perhaps need to catch these guys red handed to take the necessary action but Ken this has been going on for years with seemingly blind eyes being turned. We let me tell you as Joe public we are sick and tired of this plundering – if this continues we will have no fish let alone any marine life left in no time at all. We are forced to pay our fishing licence fees yearly, we adhere to SAMSA’S regulations covering the use of ski boats, we pay subs at our clubs, we try and look after our environment as much as we can yet this type of behaviour carries on with very little intervention. I hear stories or Garrick, Shad, Snoek ,Massbankers etc, etc being slaughtered infront of everyone’s eyes yet year after year, season after season it just goes on and on. The Sein netters are an aggressive bunch – I myself have been threatened by Morgan for merely passing a comment – do they think they rule world? What gives these guys the right to continue as they are?

Ken – I will say it again you have some good guys there at Ezemvelo , guys that are doing their jobs and doing it to the best of their abilty but we as the public are sick and tired of this. What do we need to do to stop this and stop it for once and for all? Do we need to toi, toi and start a public procession to get the rest of the authorities to open their eyes and do something, do we take the law into our own hands – what do we do? We look to you and a senior person in Ezemvelo to stand up and be counted and to take drastic action to stop this. Failing to do this we may as well go and pour cyanide into the ocean and kill everything cause that is where this is heading.

I myself am going start a debate on this – I am going to websites, media, public – I am going to do everything I can in my power to create a huge wave of public support and put pressure where its needed. I want my kids to have something to strive for and to aspire to when they are older and we all need to now stand up and preach the conservation talk and walk the walk that goes with it.

I am sure I stand for may when I say that we would like to work alongside Ezemvelo, Ori, SAP’s, Dept of Fisheries, etc, etc to clamp down on this and other poaching and make an example for the world to see and take note of.

Please we need your help and more people like Paul to get behind this.

I look forward to hearing from you on a way forward

Kind Regards

Anthony Alder

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

He should get a Twitter Account and Link the Facebook..if he doesn't have one already...many Petition Sites on there and they DO spread the word and make people aware of what happens in there own backyard..

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I hope something actually gets done about this. Maybe they should approach Carte Blanche?

5. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Molotov the boat!

6. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Those pricks are always there. Annoys the crap out of me too...

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

more info..

Fishing Corner

‎**NB** from - Ant Alder -
    Hey guys. The Seine netting issues at Vetches beach and senlsess slaughter of our marine life has taken a turn for the better with Ezemvelo Wildlife management opening up communication channels with us and have called for an open meeting with all concerned parties to establish a way forward. We are forming a comittee to adress this and as soon as we have a date i will post it. Influential fishermen and conservationists are invited to please thow in thier comments and join us in the interests of the community and conservation of fish stocks and marine life. Craig Thomo, Mark De la Hey, Barry Wareham,Cameron Johnson, Kirk and Brendan from Go Fish mag, Shaun Reid, Paul Buchel from Ezemvelo,Corne Jooste, DUC, DBSBC, Durban Paddle Ski Club, Tyrone, and many others not mentioned here - we need you guys to jump on board in the interests of us all please. If we all stand together we can win this - we all saw what happened to thedevelopment at Vetches and how a bunch of determined people never said die - we can do the same with this. This is the start guys - we will win this but we need support. Pse share this on all the sites and pass it onyo all your mates. Date will be advised- this is a positive step in the right direction. Cheers Ant Alder

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

He should make an Event Calendar..for that Date..and Post it on Twitter..many people can spread the word via Twitter, if he gets an Account...

Last edited: 8 Feb 2013
Recent Posts