One day white spot?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 17 Nov 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys... The weirdest thing happened this last day. I am hoping that my good friend Tiger see's this thread to share his knowledge on whitespot...;)

Anyway, so I have added three Nemateleotris Magnifica (Firefish) and inside the LFS tank one fish had one little white spot on it. I obviously didn't take that one, and the others were clean.

Introduced them into the DT (first few fish) and they immediately started eating like crazy.

So when I got home yesterday I found all three of them with little traces of whitespot, and one had what looked like a black tick on it. I didn't worry too much, as they were still eating and didn't look stressed at all. I also know I would contact Tiger today to assist me...

But thing is, when I pulled the curtain open this morning and my babies woke up from their bolt holes, all the traces of whitespot was gone and even that tick was gone... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Could this be due to the water temperature that fell drastically between yesterday and today?

What could cause this do you think? i am not complaining, but maybe this could help others - not sure...;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pads

Pads

Wicked Fish Jaco, I'm envious. I had a few before but they both committed suicide before they were 2 month old. Hope you got a lid over them. Or you're good at catching.
    Mine also had a little white spot but it cleared fast, I don't think 1 day kinda fast but after a few they were perfect. I hope yours stay that way.

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

My money is on this Jaco! What was the temperature fluctuation like?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

white spot is present most of the time, its only when the fish are stressed and the protective mucus layer is weak the spots can attach. give them time to settle it and get used to the new surroundings.

my regal had 2 spots, so i kept things stable, no additions or changes etc and it went away

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Well, as posted my temp ran at 31deg on Sunday... :(:(:(

Now with this cold front, and me forgetting to plug the heater back in, it fell to about 23-24deg by this morning... Again, everything seems fine.

It's actually so cute these fish; when the lights are on they just feed CONSTANTLY and then I switch the lights off, tell them to go to bed and like kids they all just go into their boltholes and crevises... Then, in the morning, no sign of fish. Open the curtains and let some light in then you see three little heads poking ou, and wham... back on the feeding...:biggrin:

I think resting that way for these also helped with ridding them of the whitespot, and the high temp from Sunday propably made them a bit weaker...

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Yip then temperature it is. Huge fluctuations can bring about white spots.

8. magman

magman

Is it these, the purple fire fish?

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Jaco Schoeman

Nice to know, but not at all a practice I would undertake forcefully... :whistling:

10. Jaco Schoeman

@ Magman...

No, not the Decora. I have the magnifica (a bit easier to keep;)) The Decora are also a little more aggro than the magnifica.

Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yip agree, from the pot into the frying pan

12. magman

magman

Jaco, I find mine are easy, they eat anything, they maybe a bit dumb because you have to pour the food infront of them or they miss the meal. I giggle every night when the whites go off, how they dash under the rock. What is hard about them, excuse the question?

13. Jaco Schoeman

Nah, they are very strong little fish, but in smaller tanks like mine, you rather should not keep multiples, as the decora need a little bit more space than the magnifica. The magnifica school easier in smaller spaces.

Other than that they are the same when it comes to eating, health etc.

Mine stays out when only the actinics are on. It's only when its all lights out that they hide. :)

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Jaco keep an Eye on the white spot. The one day and it is gone scenario i know to well. It is possible that it has gone into the cyst stage and daughters are been formed. the white spot will come back 10 fold. keep a eye on it.

15. Jaco Schoeman

Thanks NJ... Will keep an eye on it. If / when it comes back, what is the best way to rid fish of it other than copper meds?

I have never ever had any fish with whitespot. :p

16. Jinx

Jinx

Add a uv.

17. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry Jinx, I dont really agree. UV will only treat what goes THROUGH it, not the babies living in the substrate, where your fish sleeps etc.

It would take quite some time with this method, but having said that it could help with the problem. Just a VERY expensive options also offering it's own drawbacks

18. Andreas

Andreas

Just make sure all your fish are eating and that you dont place any additional stress on them. They should recover;)Studies have been done and apparently fish eventually become immune to the stain of white spot but could contract it again if a new strain is introduced. I had a tough time with whitespot after introducing a "sick" Blond Naso a couple of months ago and all my fish contracted white spot.I placed as little stress on them as possible and today thay are all very healthy:)

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Jaco If the spots reappear i would recomend getting a smear done to ascertain whether it is White spot (Cryptocaryon irritans) or Marine velvet/Oodinium (Amyloodinium ocellatium). Experienced reefers can tell the difference by looking at the fish but it is difficult in any case.

White spot (WS) has gotten a bad name mostly because Oodinium is diagnosed as WS while both can cause death to the fish Oodinium is the more lethal. I will go more into detail on the subject on the fish disease thread as it is quiet a long type and i am pressed for time right now.

The UV issue IMO is a waist of time. I might add that Calfo and Sprung expressed the same sentiment.

Treatment for both is best done in a quarantine tank with a copper and Formaldehyde solution IMO. I would suggest you get your self prepared in case of an outbreak. There are threads on this site that talk about preparedness and quarantine setups. If the links are not very kindly posted by another reefer i will look them up for you tonight.

So in the meantime just do as has been advised previously. Insure that temp remains stable, feed a vitamin to boost immunity and keep a few cleaner shrimp. Good luck. I hope they dont come back.

BTW the black spot was most probably "Black Oodinium" (Turbellarian). They are worms. The above treatment is the same however.

20. Jaco Schoeman

Thank you guys. Pleased to announce there are still no trace of whitespot, and the fish are feeding well. I feed them Cyclop-Eeze twice a day, and they love the currents in the tank. Two of them are quite shy, but the other one is fearless!!! (he is also the healthier one wrt color and size;))

21. danimal

danimal

good stuff man :)

Recent Posts