old tank syndrome

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vatso, 9 Aug 2010.

1. vatso

vatso

Hi guys

I have heard of this what is it & what causes it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

It is when the bacteria and filtration system has reached such a high level that the nutrients drop to very low levels and some corals start dying, at least that is what I think it is.

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

You've got me paranoid now :whistling:, too much coralline? poor maintenence?

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Old reefers, becoming lazy :whistling:

Hennie

6. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

lol

i heard it is a build up & crash which happens over a few years?

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

no, i dont think so. I think its a build up of detritus and such over the years.

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

if you can answer your own question why not lead with this? :wave2:

9. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

see the ? at the end of my sentence means i am not sure ;) but i hear what u are saying

do we know anyone who has had this happen?

10. Junz

Junz

This is my opinion,

You ever noticed how much flow your new pump pushes out when you just bought it and give it a few months and it feels alot less, basically Old tank syndrome is when our tank (everything included) doesnt run at its best capabilities or the way it should, the best way to beat this, is to peform regular maintenance on your system.

When i say regular maintence i dont just mean you need to clean your pumps, how many of you clean the return pipe outlet for build of muck and other crap?....so thats what causes old tank syndrome,

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I'm not exactly sure what it is or what causes it but I have read that it is a good idea to renew your live rock after 5 or 6 years, in other words, remove some of your old rock and replace it with newly bought live rock.

12. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

is that not why we dose bacteria?

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A number of factors, but the main one is competition.

There are 2 forms.

1. Competion for spcae. Corals like SPS that outgrew their space and overshadows everything else. Enormous pin cushions or Monti Pora's that shade everything under them. Corals that grew so big that they are now preventing proper water flow, resulting in more detritus settlement in tank building up. And the overgrown prevent the reefer from moving rockwork, or reaching behind the rocks to blow stuff out.

2. Then competion in diversity. Like in your DSB, where a few live forms eventually outcompeted the others into oblivion. And you end up with only a few dominant types. Some can happen in your live rock. Only a few types of bacteria survived the 5 years of competition. That is whty you need to re-seed your DSB about 3 times a year. And you need to re-seed your live rock, with new pieces.

I saw a tank that was once one of the European top tanks. But because of competition for space, it fallen into the old tank syndrome. Beautifull tank. Can ask Crispin for more detail. Reefer was forced to dratically cut back his beautiful big Arcoporas amongst other things, just to get better flow.

15. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

i cant wait to have that problem where i need to cut corals back.

16. crispin

crispin

ive spoken to him a number of times about why that tank took a dive (its not a tank crash as such just a detiration of the tank and its inhabitants over a fairly short period) and his tank was indeed magnificent from what ive seen of the pics before it crashed. Indeed it was voted into one of the top 100 tanks in Europe at its height.

I think you are basically right (you obviously listened to him carefully! :)) and he thinks his primary three problems were shading by large corals, lack of diversity in bacterial strains and as hennie says lazy reefing.

getting a tank to a stage that you need to prune back corals isnt that difficult and fragging corals thus allowing them additional space to grow out is indeed a good thing, but after a number of years the biological filtration seems to 'tire' and that leads to a drop in water quality and the consequental loss of corals.

interestingly that reefer now plumbs a large frag set up into his system where he imports fairly large amounts of lr and corals, which is seperated inicially and then joined into the main tank after a quarenteen period. I think (my thoughts only) that increases the biodiversity of his biological filtration and helps with replenishing different micro orginisms vital to a tanks filtration.

17. Suhayl

Suhayl

Check the Advanced Aquariast online magazine, there was a whole write up on it.

18. Reef Maniac

Yup, Riaan and Crispin basically nailed it :thumbup:

That's not the worst of it - just imagine the frustration that every time you walk into a LFS you walk out again empty-handed, just because there is no more room in the tank for anything... not even a small frag of something.

Hennie

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  19. crispin

crispin

lol too true hennie, but remember the feeling of enjoyment to be able to split a large euphillia into 23 pieces and give them away to other reefers free of charge out the genorosity of spirit. feeding ones soul with the enjoyment of looking after a coral for years and then being able to give parts away to other reefers for them to enjoy :)

PS of all the things that can lead to old tank syndrome, its lazy reefing that is normally the root cause, i think you nailed that perfectly

20. Reef Maniac

True...

Hennie

21. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

You right new corals are our fix & then the corals we do have become part of the family & no one wants to cut them back! just get a bigger & bigger tank :)

Recent Posts