Old tank into a refugium?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ziguri, 14 Oct 2014.

1. ziguri

ziguri

Ive currently got 3 small tanks, which were used for Quarantine purposes. They are around 50 liters each. I was thinking of hooking one of them up to my main tank and starting a refugium. Would this be a good idea? Also, does anyone have any ideas what good use i could put the others to? Any ideas are welcome :) I plan on getting a bigger quarantine tank, so these 3 are surplus to requirements atm.

Currently my sump is not the biggest tbh, its around 50 liters in total volume, with a skimmer, uv, biopellet reactor and a small filter running a small amount of activated carbon and some filter pads etc. Maybe i can use one as a possible extension to the sump?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you got one common low point it can work. Have the refugium tank higher than the existing sump, draining back into the main sump.

Or even higher than the main display, with overflow draining to main display.

Can use one pump where you split the return line, or 2 different pumps 9which would be easier if you want to isolate the refugium).

4. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

I was thinking of breeding copepods in the refugium tbh (With the intention of keeping a mandarin dragonet later on), which leads me to think that i would have to avoid the sump area as an outlet point for the refugium, as im under the impression that the UV sterilizer would kill them all right?

Wouldnt it work if i just had the refugium on the floor next to the tank, bringing water to and from the main tank from a lower position? (I dont have the space to mount the refugium high up tbh.

If someone has some ideas, i am all ears :m03:.. Perhaps running a secondary sump system of some sorts? I could also build a cabinet next to my tank with 2-3 shelves.. 1 shelve for each of the tanks.. possibly using 1-2 of the tanks for filtration while using the other as a refugium..

Last edited: 14 Oct 2014
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you can always have the refugium just higher than the main sump. And let its overflow flow directly into the return chamber. Copepods and bristle stars will survive the return pump and go for a jollie good ride up the return pipe.

My system got one main sump. My return pump line splits into 2. One directly to Display.
    Other runs to the shallow frag tank, from that overflows into a deeper frag tank. Overflows down into a 2nd remote DSB and refugium. And that flows back to main sump second chamber. Also have a cryptic tank that gets a slow flow, split from just before the shallow frag tank. Cryptic tank flows back into same 50mm pipe as the remote DSB.

Also got a 3rd DSB, remote tank that sits next to the main sump but lifted. That one got a small 1000L/h pump feeding it and it returns to the main sump last chamber

In all, excluding the main display, I got 5 other tanks all flowing back to my main sump.

O yes, my RO top up also enters via the return pipes from the 2nd remote DSB. And I do my water changes top up via those 50mm return pipes.

Sounds confusing....
    But it all works via gravity.

ziguri likes this.
  6. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Cool. Will the copepods etc survive through a UV sterilizer? Theres UV hooked up to my return pump

Last edited: 14 Oct 2014
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

most likely
    but they will not like it.

8. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

In that case, would it be better for me to have the refugium pump straight back into the main tank or through the sump anyway?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do not balance tanks by using 2 pumps.

If refugium can flow into main tank, yes that's a bonus.

10. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Sorry for the poor diagram, hope you can see what i mean by it.. Will something like this work?

Everything in black is the existing stuff.. with the stuff in blue being added.

-What could i add as item "A" ? Could i add something here, or should i just syphon water straight into the refugium.

Regarding the transfer of water:
    -Can i just get some plain tubing and syphon the water from one place to another?
    -Would it work if i added a return pump to the refugium to pump it back to the main tank?

refu.jpg

Last edited: 15 Oct 2014
  11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Rather have refugium flowing into main tank. Doubt many pods will mke it through the whole filtration system.
    So return pump flows into refuge, then refuge overflows into main tank

ziguri likes this.
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Outlet of refugium, I will let that bypass the skimmer.
    Alternative is to run 2 return pumps, one to main display, other to the new tanks.

will not work, as here you need to balance the flow into the refugium with what goes out.

A can be refugium
    B can be remote DSB, or chamber with liverock, or another refugium.

ziguri likes this.
  13. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Thanks guys, If i let the refugium overflow into the sump, i can bypass the skimmer, but not the UV and biopellet reactor.. and i dont have the space to mount it high enough, that it can overflow into the main tank.

How about having 3 return pumps.. 1 to the main tank form the sump.. 1 from the sump to the refugium and 1 from the refugium to main tank?

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

this one NO

Can have 3 return pumps, But you cannot have pumps in serial setup. One pump to another tank, and there another pump to next tank.

But can have 1 pump, to top tank, and they all drain via each other. Tanks can be in series. all driven from one or more pumps, all draining either directly or via another tank to the same common lowest point.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and all pumps, be it one big pump, or multiple smaller pumps, should all be in that same lowest point.

Big challenge here would be to ensure that when the power goes out, that all the tank heads draining can and will fit in the lowest common sump, without overflowing.

16. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Thanks.. sorry for being a pain, i just want to make sure i understand you 100%. If i understand correctly, what youre basically saying is that i have 2 options:
    -I can split my current return pump into two, with one going into the tank and 1 into the refugium, sump so that it can drain back into the than my with the refugium raised slightly higher than the sump so that it can drain back into the sump again
    -Or i could split the return pump and place the refugium higher than the tank itself, so it can drain into the main tank .

Am i correct in saying this, and is there no other way that will work?

Guess ill make a cabinet next to the tank and have 1 refugium overflow into the main tank.. can add another one higher up later on if i want

Recent Posts