Old lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MatthewHoward, 12 Dec 2012.

1. MatthewHoward

MatthewHoward

I was away for 8 days on plettrage and left my tank in the care of my dear mother. On my return my tank was in a very sorry state, with algae growing on my sand bed (which never happen before) and algae growing all over my polyp colony. Immediately I tested my water and did 20% water change and scrap the heavy algae off my polyp colony.

My water parameters at the moment before the water change were NO3 10mg/l; NO2 0mg/l ; Ca 500mf/l ;KH 15'd ; ph 8.2 ; PO4 0.1 p.p.m . There no direct sun light on my tank.

However my water change did nothing with green algae on my sand bed. I think what happen was my mother turned off my timer and left the lights on for 24hours for my 8 days in plett.

The situation hasn't improve and I think its my lighting that is causing this algae bloom. I've been using an 18w acrylic fluorescent tube t8 and 20W white fluorescent tube with 10 000 Kelvin rating for about a year. I run my lights for about 16 hours. I've been wanting to upgrade to T5 for a long time. If I do what T5s should I be looking out for. I've got a Red Mushroom, a Jasmine Polyp colony and a mushroom softie. Would the change in lighting improve my algae problem.

Also on a side note, I've received chaeto about a month ago, and although the chaeto living it has not grown. I've got a 11W compact fluorescent light for my Chaeto. Runs for the same period as my normal light because i don't have a separate timer for it yet.

Anyway any input would be great, my tank been running for about a year and i still got lots to learn.

here some pics of what my problem is.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This algae i heard is good, any suggestion on how to promote this algae?
    [​IMG]

Sorry for if i missed out any information, i had to type this really quickly. And do not keep any criticism to yourself, pleasure give me your opinion.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Cant see the pics?

4. nepellew

nepellew

tag

5. irie ivan

There's your problem, which is possibly only exaggerated by the lights.
    There is definite truth in old lights assisting with algae growth, but if you look at one of the most legendary sps growth lights, the Iwasaki 6500K, you'll notice that it puts out plenty light in the yellow and red spectrums. Bottom line, you ned nutrients and light, not just bad light.

Your unwanted algae is likely outcompeting your chaeto, which is under inferior lighting. Difficult to comment further without the pics.

Did your mom follow your feeding regime?

6. Falcon

Falcon

+1

That algae is getting better light than your cheato so is using that 10ppm of nitrates much better.

So you need to give that cheato some better lighting for a while(maybe couple weeks).If that still doesn't work then look at other methods of nutrient(no3 and po4) export but the lighting in your tank is not really the problem at all.

7. MatthewHoward

MatthewHoward Thread Starter

Sorry I am only replying now. Here the pictures again hopefully you can see them now. The algae on the sand has gotten very bad now. Going to do a water change again. I've also got a new light for my chaeto now t5 sunsun red 39W. I am going to reduce the time my top lights run for and leave my Chaeto light running 24hours.

Also a quick question on clean up crew, currently my clean up crew is non existence. My display tank 100L, what type of clean up crew will help out with this problem and still be able to life once the problem has pass?
    Thanks for the input guys. It helping greatly :)

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6852.jpg

IMG_6853.JPG

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6859.JPG

IMG_6860.jpg

IMG_6857.JPG

8. irie ivan

Difficult to see from pics, but looks like cyanobacteria. Increase flow and run some nitra guard biocubes and some phophaguard or another phosphate media. For a cuc i would recommend some snails, hermits and brittle stars, hust not the green ones.

The light over the fuge is a bit underpowered imho.

9. irie ivan

If you open to critisism, please post a clearer pic of the sump, as i suspect a flaw there, but cannot comment without a closer look.

Recent Posts