Ok where should I begin???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Lowflyer, 23 Apr 2010.

1. Lowflyer

Lowflyer

Hey guys

It's me again. This time a working man with money:razz:. So where should I begin? Well, I'm not sure. I had this urge this afternoon to buy a start going marines again and well, to be honest, I am looking at my options:whistling:.

There are a couple of things that need to be noted:

1. I live in a flat which means that my tank can't exceed 4ft (that's if I had to start one)

2. I don't want to have to do huge water changes to keep a tank going.

3. I would like to go away for weekends, but this should be no problem as Gonubie is full of lank helpful reefers;) hint hint

4. It will take a while if I had to start from scratch coz I can't buy in one go, piece by piece would be a necessity.

And so here I am contemplating the possibility of going away from bath water AGAIN and the salty seas are attracting my attention again.

What you guys think?

I was think 3 foot again, but wider and deeper than the standard one. Maybe 900Lx400Wx450H

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

glad you back!!!
    look forward to see the new venture take shape

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

FANTASTIC Luke! Great that you are contemplating again to get back into salt! As I ALWAYS said - once salt is in your blood, you can NEVER get it out!

That said - perhaps go for a slightly wider tank even. 900mm "long" is good, but perhaps look at a 900mm cube perhaps! You will have FAR better options and be far happier?

I would perhaps say 400/450mm high as well.... Then you can easily use T5's and still even keep SPS corals.....

Good luck with this decision mate! And I really hope that you get everything done and get to go on with this build!

5. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Thanks guys, let's just see where this goes.

Jacques - unfortunately I live in a small flat, so have to go for a long tank with less width.

6. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Just to give everyone an idea, this is what my system looked like just before I sold it around about June last year:

[​IMG]

7. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

To stretch the water changes up your filtration, nice big skimmer etc

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

get a nice clean up crew!

9. Greenreef

Greenreef

Deeper means more lighting issues if you not doing FO tank. But a very tall thin long tank might look good against a wall.

10. Lowflyer

Lowflyer Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm aware of the lighting issue, but with a depth of 450 I should get away with around 4-6 t5's. Will put softies and LPS at the bottom and maybe some sps on the rock work high up. Will never go for a FOWLR tank, EVER. Lol.

Recent Posts