OK, So where do I begin

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by tinusb, 22 Nov 2007.

1. tinusb

tinusb

Hi All,

Can anybody give me a hint as to where does one start with a new tank? ie. When do you put LR in? What is the difference between Kenyan/Fiji/Malaysian? How much LR? - Want to DIY liverock, so only need liverock to basically seed the DIY ones...

Thanx for the help guys!!!:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Tinus welcome to MASA. To answer your questions how about giving us some history about your experience in the hobby, have you got a tank already, what you want to keep etc? The best place to start with a marine system is research and as much reading as possible, one of the first decisions you have to make is a fish only system or a full blown reef. One of the questions about live rock is you would add it to the system just after you fill the tank with water and then let it cure and allow your tank to cycle.

4. palmerc

palmerc

You need to start at the beginning dude. Live rock is not something to worry about now if you haven't started reading, researching and planning yet.

Why don't you start off by telling us what you want to achieve, at which stage you are currently, your ideas where you want the system to go, and also an estimated budget so we can provide you with the correct advice.

Welcome to MASA,

Clinton

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Look through the members tank spec section, it will give you some ideas as to what you might want to achieve.

Welcome to MASA :)

6. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Welcome from me as well. Dont do what I did and listen to one 'clever' person and start throwing your bucks around. The first 2 replies you had was from some best reefers around and if you start whith their advice you are going to nmake it.
    This sounds so very heavy, but you have started the best hobby you ever will. ENJOY!

7. DragonReef

DragonReef

Hey Tinus, welcome to MASA.

Like Alan and the others have said we need more details on your intentions.
    1. Size System you are planning / budget is allowing for
    2. Full blown reef or Fish only
    3. Equipment you have looked at / planned / researched

We really want to get you off to a good start, so let us know ;)

8. palmerc

palmerc

Herkie, thanks for the compliment but there is absolutely no way I am one of the best reefers around. Alan maybe, me no...

But the best place to start out is here on the forums cause between all of us there is a wealth of experience and knowledge to be shared. And we are mostly local so can point you in the right directions from the beginning esp when it coems to support and where to obtain the rigt equipment and advice from up front (.

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum Tinus.

What size tank are you thinking of having?

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcometomasa
    please tell us more about your system.what the tank and sump dimensions are, and what hardware you got and what you planning on getting and keeping :)

11. Tom

Tom

Welcome Tinus. :) A new tank is a wonderful chance to start off right! ;) Good luck.

12. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome Tinus, Yip a new tank is a wonderful, learn from the mistakes others have made. Take your time to decide what you want to do.

I was forced to wait for a few weeks due to a move before I could set up, it was hell at the time, but now I know it was the best thing that could have happened to me, I made so many changes to my overflow, sump, lights etc etc in those weeks and all for the better

Best of luck

13. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

Hi All!

Thanx for the advise.... Experience wise...

Well, been into the tropical aquarium thing for just little over 5 years now. Started off with a 130 litre tank, and got a Jebo a while ago --- http://www.jeboaquarium.com/R2%20Series%20Curved%20Glass%20Aquariums.htm --- the R219 series (357 litres). Got a canister filter with that, and it's running perfectly. Managed to breed Kuhli Loaches, Golden Ramirezzi's, White Clouds - tho I don't think it's that difficult to breed them hehehe :)

2nd tank I bought is:
    http://www.dejia-aquarium.com/cp1.htm -- the AB1200 (348 litres) - also with a canister doing 1400l/hr - suitable for both marine and tropical with a UV light.

What I plan on doing is basically 'swopping' my tanks, so that the 2nd tank is the tropical, and the JEBO the marine tank - but the 1400l/hr canister with the UV goes into the marine tank [The base of the JEBO appears to be of a stronger construction type than that of the other tank].

As you might think, my budget is not that big, seeing that I've spent quite a lot of money on two tanks in 6 months... the prices here are quite different comparred to that in SA - the JEBO alone without anything extra put me back about R4k!

Anyway, I also bought a skimmer, it does 750l/hr - Paid R300 for it, which I don't think is too much?

So basically the setup that I have for the marine is only a tank, a canister filter and also a skimmer - haven't bought anything else for it... Also intend making DIY live rock ;)

Basically what I what I'm aiming at is a reef setup - corals/anemone's and of course NEMO'S! heheh :)

I don't mind if the tank has to cycle - I know it can take a while, I did the same with my first couple of aquarium setups, so rather wait a while, have a more 'natural' process going on regarding cycling, etc, than the 'instant' approach - but that's only my opinion :)

Hope this is enough info!

Tinus

PS. Thanx again for all the welcomes and the help!!!!!

14. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Set up looks good, what make is the skimmer?
    Can i ask, what do you intend to use the cannister for? if it were me, i would remove all the filter media and put P04 remover and carbon only, otherwise you may find you have problems with nitrates (the filter media will compete with the liverock and neither will win) you only need to use liverock for the nitrate cycle.
    You will probably need to look at adding some other powerheads to ensure circulation around your rockwork (when scaping your rocks try to build holes rather than walls - it aids flow and allows your fish to hide when they feel the need) these don't need to be large powerheads, but a couple of well placed p/h's low down round the back of the rock will work wonders on your system.

15. palmerc

palmerc

Hi Tinus,

Where are you from / living now?

As for what you are doing/planning I am sure there are gonna be plenty comments.

Just my thoughts but I do not know how to do all these on a Jebo tank, although others here have modified these tanks before.

1) Lose the cansiter filter. Rather get a sump installed with a deep sand bed. Your skimmer would also run in the sump. You can use the canister to run carbon and/or phospahte media, but you should not use it for filtration

2) what type of skimmer did you get? Hope it's not also a Jebo...Sounds very cheap and based on this I don't think it will be adequate. You may need to put this purchase down to experience and upgrade your skimmer in order to ensure your water quality remains optimum.

3) tell us more onthe current lightign of your Jebo please. The std lighting that comes with the Jebo tanks will more than likely need to be upgraded. Corals/anenomes require a lot of light.

Look at getting T5's installed (6-8 tubes) if you want to keep the hood as is, but if you want to go with metal halides you may need to look at ditching your current hood to make space.

Clinton

16. Tom

Tom

Tinus you are welcome to pm me to talk about Jebo hassles. I am the expert! LOL!

Last edited: 23 Nov 2007
  17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Welcome Tinus! Hope you enjoy our company! Look - many of my fellow reefers have commented and made suggestions already. So, I might not be able to add much.

I do not want to scare you off, but here's my experience...

I kept fresh-water fish for +-17 years before going fully into marines.

I started too by converting an existing 300 litre Jewel aquarium into a marine FOWLR tank. My tank had an internal filter (similar to your canister filter, only, it was in-tank)...
    I struggled with high nitrates in the beginning, and started searching for assistance. I asked the LFS' many questions - and made many mistakes as well. Many people at the LFS' mostly SELL fish and equipment - not many actually succesfully KEEP marines, though! And, they are MOSTLY not as passionate about keeping marines/reefs either.

So, I went from fresh water tank, to FOWLR tank (with only 2 NO fluorescents) - to FOWLR tank with 10 40 watt fluorescents, with an external sump - no in-tank filtering.... Only had 1 power-head in the beginning (in-tank filter return pump).... to my 300litre with about 6 power-heads, and tiny sump/refugium. I then joined this forum and learnt about skimmers - so I got my very 1st skimmer - a Red Sea Berlin Air-lift skimmer..... This worked.... BUT, THEN: I got a 2 metre tank!

Went from berlin type airlift skimmer to Red Sea Prizm Pro skimmer, to my own RO/DI fresh water filtering machine, to another extra skimmer - WeiPro SA-2013...

To: (currently) ReefTek TS2 AND Red Sea Prizm Pro skimmer, 2 x 15000 litre per hour wavemaker power-heads, 6000 litre per hour sump returns, 1.2 metre sump, +-80kg's of live rock, 1x 26000 litre per hour external pump on a Closed-loop system, 2 x 150 watt Metal Halides, 6 x 54watt T5's...

I am still struggling today due to detritus on the inside of my live-rock - feeding bryopsis algae.... So - I am still learning from my mistakes.... ;-)

So - just to let you know what path you COULD possibly be taking, if you don't (or if it is not POSSIBLE) for you to do things 100% right the 1st time... Now, this seems very daunting - but, believe me - it is worth it in the end!

You might not be able to everything that is suggested to you - you must just take the information you receive - decide what you can afford at the time - try your best to adhere to the advice - if not - try the second best alternative....

Remember: this is a personal journey, which no-one would like to see you fail in - but it IS so easy to fail and give up....

BUT: the rewards are all BRILLIANT in the end!

So, please ask as many questions as possible, learn as much as possible, and just get on with it! ;-)

18. Elrond

Elrond

tinusb, just remember that making your own LR is definitely cheaper BUT will require a few months before its ready to use. Nobody warned me about that when I started, rather buy what you can afford and then add in more when you can afford it (in my opinion) also, keep your eyes open for 'closing down' sales, sometimes good bargains to be had there!

Goodluck!

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Good suggestion Elrond! Yeah - every now and again the sorry state of a reefer giving up (even just for a while) will be a source for live-rock to be purchased. You will be surprised at how much live rock can set you back!

Taking into account that live rock is one of (many) the best filtering systems that you can have in your marine tank.....

20. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

Hey all! I'm not too much in a hurry to get the tank up and running - I mean putting in fish... rather see that the parameters are stable, before chucking in some fish.

Well, live in Windhoek - so as you can imagine, there's not a lot of pet stores here, nevermind marine pet stores!

Alas the skimmer is a Jebo - well it says that on the lid anyway.

Lights. Only have the standard lights.

Thanx for all the help - sorry for the short reply, but in a hurry :S

Tinus

21. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

dont rush the system(i should be the last to speak).allow it time to cycle and keep checking the water parameters every 4-5days.ok you got a jebo,many of us have started of using this skimmer,i would suggest at a later stage to upgrade to a more effecient skimmer,our sponsors stock awsome stuff like reeftek and reefoctopus.great value for money.when you say standard lights,you mean t8's?

Recent Posts