Urgent help needed Oh yes AIPTASIA --- BUT like you have NEVER seen it!

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by SeanH, 5 Nov 2013.

1. SeanH

SeanH

I have been battling Aptasia for a while. In fact I am ready to give up, hand the fish in to Idol or somewhere and literally KILL the tank!!

After battling Aptasia with Joes juice i thought i was getting control WHEN SUDDENLY i had HUNDERDS of them popping up. So I started again...

Now i have notices THOUSANDS comming up like weeds even in the substrate. It literally looks like a deep pile carpet.

I am done as far as Aptasia are concerned. I am ready to stop this whole PITA battle and clean up and start again.

I am just scared if i do somehow it will start again. So i was thinking to COOK all the LR and substrate and kill them, clean the tank and sump with who knows what - maybe Jik etc or something and let it circulate for a few days and then rinse a few times.

THEN when i have the patience to start again. In the mean time i will make a few mods on filtration and reactors and and and and... Custom build filter system...

Any ideas or suggestions. I am just slowly losing interest in a GREAT tank that it started out as now I couldn't care less and haven't even done a water change in 2 months i am so despondent...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pixel

pixel

Once you have one, the battle is lost in my exp. There are always more than the one u cant see and always spores present. Joe's juice etc works on one, not on the rest u cant see. The last tank i restarted was with dead rock and clean substrate. Didnt have any for months, till i added some frags, and they were back :p

Last edited: 5 Nov 2013
  4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Try to find an aptasia eating filefish or two...

5. seank

seank

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really am laughing as I wanted to post something similar on more than one occassion. I know how you feel. I still have the problem and am really fed up in asking/begging for peppermemt shrimp or filefish.... Good luck in getting any of the mentioned aptasia killers..
    Btw, my eperience with Joes Juice...... Crap.....

6. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

(why i do this i don't know..some1 will disagree)
    banner fish r cheap and pretty to boot.. they will eat a massive aptasia in less than 5 minutes flat (pun intended). if u have triggers they will in turn bite at the fins of the banners, which could be terminal. the upside to banners vs cbb's is banners will also eat anything u put in the tank. i have on occasion promoted aptasia growth in my dt by sending sump dwelling aptasias through my pump... just so my banners can have 'desert'..!

7. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

HAHAHA ok i laughed at some comments and others (i.e. lost the battle) i wanted to cry...
    I have 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp and one fire fish. Who the hell knows where the other fire fish went but he exists no longer and about 1000 turbo snails - pin head to 2mm in size.

The problem started with good live rock and now i can no longer see LR!

I am happy to try banner fish. Will - they kill any of what i already have?

Thanks in advance.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Try out the Berghia nudibranches. but I reckon in your display they will not make it if any predatory fish are still around.

Also lots of butterflys do eat Aiptasia
    Also some angels like Navarchus.

9. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

I just aquired a silver scat this past saterday to get rid of my aip's. It takes a couple of days before he notices that aiptasia is edible. Still waiting to see but I am confident it will work!

10. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

Hey Riaan

Thanks for that response. Woould the clowns or firefish get at the nudibranches?

Who would have? Maybe i can give Louis at Idols a shout. I live close by. MUSt maybe do a water change the weekend if there is still hope LOL

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Injecting them with peroxide works better than joes juice...

12. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

I will remember that when i have 1-50 but I would need an army to run around injecting them now.

Just inject straight into the stem?

13. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

all i can tell u is Banners work for me!! some say they will also nip at u're lps's, i haven't personally seen that tho. point being, u're at wits end... if u shut down u're tank u won't have to worry about nipping fish, alternatively get a banner or even 2(as i have) n if they don't eat u're aptasia i'll deposit the cost of them into u're account!
    just 1 thing...u are battling aptasia right..? "now i can no longer see LR!"..?maybe post a pic..?

14. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Iject straight into the mouth of the aptasia down to the stem & see it disolve... Mwahaha... evil laugh smileyface...

SeanH likes this.
  15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

16. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

Hey Thanks Gary!

I will certainly post a pic tonight or in the morning. Have some algae growth now due to not cleaning the tank i.e. water changes. But anyway you will see what i mean. I will see if i can get a banner in the next couple of days! Thanks for that info.

17. SeanH

SeanH Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan

18. Drewton

Drewton

Eish hope you come right bud! My mate used peroxide to good effect after his heteractis anemone ate his filefish lol.

19. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

pics..?

20. jclaas

jclaas

Please post us a photo

21. pch356

pch356

I agree with Mistaorange...

Had the same problem, spending lots of time searching for those $^#$#% Aptaisia and dosing them with AptaisaX, only to find new ones a week later.

.... until I got myself one of those Aptaisia eating File Fish.... and that was the end of my Aptaisia problems...

Mine eats flakes/pellets too and does really well in my tank, so no worry if there's no Aptaisia for him to munch on. I feed Ocean Nutirtion's Spirulina, Brineshrimp flakes, and Marine pellets and he is fine with that.

I also did not see any evidence of him nipping any of my corals, SPS or other livestock in the 5 months that he has been in my tank.

Good luck !!!! :)

Recent Posts