Urgent help needed Oh yes AIPTASIA --- BUT like you have NEVER seen it!

Reaction score
I have been battling Aptasia for a while. In fact I am ready to give up, hand the fish in to Idol or somewhere and literally KILL the tank!!

After battling Aptasia with Joes juice i thought i was getting control WHEN SUDDENLY i had HUNDERDS of them popping up. So I started again...

Now i have notices THOUSANDS comming up like weeds even in the substrate. It literally looks like a deep pile carpet.

I am done as far as Aptasia are concerned. I am ready to stop this whole PITA battle and clean up and start again.

I am just scared if i do somehow it will start again. So i was thinking to COOK all the LR and substrate and kill them, clean the tank and sump with who knows what - maybe Jik etc or something and let it circulate for a few days and then rinse a few times.

THEN when i have the patience to start again. In the mean time i will make a few mods on filtration and reactors and and and and... Custom build filter system...

Any ideas or suggestions. I am just slowly losing interest in a GREAT tank that it started out as now I couldn't care less and haven't even done a water change in 2 months i am so despondent...

Once you have one, the battle is lost in my exp. There are always more than the one u cant see and always spores present. Joe's juice etc works on one, not on the rest u cant see. The last tank i restarted was with dead rock and clean substrate. Didnt have any for months, till i added some frags, and they were back :p

Last edited:
So i was thinking to COOK all the LR and substrate and kill them, clean the tank and sump with who knows what - maybe Jik etc or something and let it circulate for a few days

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really am laughing as I wanted to post something similar on more than one occassion. I know how you feel. I still have the problem and am really fed up in asking/begging for peppermemt shrimp or filefish.... Good luck in getting any of the mentioned aptasia killers..
Btw, my eperience with Joes Juice...... Crap.....

(why i do this i don't know..some1 will disagree)
banner fish r cheap and pretty to boot.. they will eat a massive aptasia in less than 5 minutes flat (pun intended). if u have triggers they will in turn bite at the fins of the banners, which could be terminal. the upside to banners vs cbb's is banners will also eat anything u put in the tank. i have on occasion promoted aptasia growth in my dt by sending sump dwelling aptasias through my pump... just so my banners can have 'desert'..!

HAHAHA ok i laughed at some comments and others (i.e. lost the battle) i wanted to cry...
I have 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp and one fire fish. Who the hell knows where the other fire fish went but he exists no longer and about 1000 turbo snails - pin head to 2mm in size.

The problem started with good live rock and now i can no longer see LR!

I am happy to try banner fish. Will - they kill any of what i already have?

Thanks in advance.

Try out the Berghia nudibranches. but I reckon in your display they will not make it if any predatory fish are still around.

Also lots of butterflys do eat Aiptasia
Also some angels like Navarchus.

I just aquired a silver scat this past saterday to get rid of my aip's. It takes a couple of days before he notices that aiptasia is edible. Still waiting to see but I am confident it will work!

Hey Riaan

Thanks for that response. Woould the clowns or firefish get at the nudibranches?

Who would have? Maybe i can give Louis at Idols a shout. I live close by. MUSt maybe do a water change the weekend if there is still hope LOL

Try out the Berghia nudibranches. but I reckon in your display they will not make it if any predatory fish are still around.

Also lots of butterflys do eat Aiptasia
Also some angels like Navarchus.

all i can tell u is Banners work for me!! some say they will also nip at u're lps's, i haven't personally seen that tho. point being, u're at wits end... if u shut down u're tank u won't have to worry about nipping fish, alternatively get a banner or even 2(as i have) n if they don't eat u're aptasia i'll deposit the cost of them into u're account!
just 1 thing...u are battling aptasia right..? "now i can no longer see LR!"..?maybe post a pic..?

I will remember that when i have 1-50 but I would need an army to run around injecting them now.

Just inject straight into the stem?
Iject straight into the mouth of the aptasia down to the stem & see it disolve... Mwahaha... evil laugh smileyface...

Hey Thanks Gary!

I will certainly post a pic tonight or in the morning. Have some algae growth now due to not cleaning the tank i.e. water changes. But anyway you will see what i mean. I will see if i can get a banner in the next couple of days! Thanks for that info.
all i can tell u is Banners work for me!! some say they will also nip at u're lps's, i haven't personally seen that tho. point being, u're at wits end... if u shut down u're tank u won't have to worry about nipping fish, alternatively get a banner or even 2(as i have) n if they don't eat u're aptasia i'll deposit the cost of them into u're account!
just 1 thing...u are battling aptasia right..? "now i can no longer see LR!"..?maybe post a pic..?

Eish hope you come right bud! My mate used peroxide to good effect after his heteractis anemone ate his filefish lol.

Hey Thanks Gary!

I will certainly post a pic tonight or in the morning. Have some algae growth now due to not cleaning the tank i.e. water changes. But anyway you will see what i mean. I will see if i can get a banner in the next couple of days! Thanks for that info.

pics..?

Please post us a photo

I agree with Mistaorange...

Had the same problem, spending lots of time searching for those $^#$#% Aptaisia and dosing them with AptaisaX, only to find new ones a week later.

.... until I got myself one of those Aptaisia eating File Fish.... and that was the end of my Aptaisia problems...

Mine eats flakes/pellets too and does really well in my tank, so no worry if there's no Aptaisia for him to munch on. I feed Ocean Nutirtion's Spirulina, Brineshrimp flakes, and Marine pellets and he is fine with that.

I also did not see any evidence of him nipping any of my corals, SPS or other livestock in the 5 months that he has been in my tank.

Good luck !!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom