Off Topic: Any PC Junkies?

Reaction score
Hey all!

Are there any PC junkies out there - got a technical problem here with my machine, and don't know what to do anymore!

T :(

Something very weird is happening at the moment. Upgraded to an AMD 6400+ 2x CPU about 2 months ago. Had a 600W powersupply... [need it for the GTX8800 3D card] and since about 2 weeks ago, PC has been shutting down completely - asif u pulled the AC power! Just DEAD!

Eventually replaced the power supply with a Gigabyte 550W, and it still does the same. These power losses are randomly - not able to reproduce it --- and it's not overheating - CPU is running at about 54 degrees and my mobo at 48 degrees.

Any ideas?! And yes, I know it might be the motherboard, but I can't fork out about R1500 for a new mobo, only to find out it might be something else.....

T :S

It is a bit strange, it is either your MB has been fried by this load shedding or the actual power supply. I have had to replace 3 x server power supplies over the last couple of months due to load shedding and these units run on "clean" power.

The power supplies cooked, melted copper.

Get your PC supplier to test that power supply and pray it hasn't killed your MB

Thanx for the reply - but don't have load shedding problems in Namibia... and power in Windhoek has been quite stable - nothing to explain the weird things going on...

Thanx for the reply - but don't have load shedding problems in Namibia... and power in Windhoek has been quite stable - nothing to explain the weird things going on...

Wow, then i am stubbed, I would have thought this was a classic load shed problem.

Have you checked the MB's power connection is cool, I have messed this up before

Yip - replaced the powersupply, and everything has been plugged in thoroughly - guess it's time to take the whole machine apart again, and reassemble - maybe reseat the CPU again with some new heat paste...

Yip - replaced the powersupply, and everything has been plugged in thoroughly - guess it's time to take the whole machine apart again, and reassemble - maybe reseat the CPU again with some new heat paste...

this is where I call in my techies. Way too much PT :sweatdrop:

Do you carry your PC around to friends houses to play games?

Check that all the cards are firmly seated in their slots.

Swap your RAM sticks around, i.e. put them in different slots.

Hey all! Nope, don't carry the machine around - probably weighs something like 20kg's! LOL :) But will take time today to disassemble everything, and I mean everything - take out all the cards, and the motherboard and the RAM and clean it with some compressed air :) T :)

Check the wall outlet. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be my multiplug

mac = $$$ and a lot of incompatibility with the programs I need.

cybervic... using a different wall outlet, and so far so good - now been running for about 2 hours on the other wall outlet.

Well, going for 3 hours now for the PC without a hickup!

cybervic... using a different wall outlet, and so far so good - now been running for about 2 hours on the other wall outlet.

If it turns out to be the wall outlet, I would recommend that you have it replaced. What happens is the pins of the plug are not properly connecting with the pins in the outlet. This causes the power to arc. My experience was the pc will run fine, but the moment I move to applications that requires a bit more power, my pc went dead or simply rebooted.

ok, now it's 4 hours! Seems like I found the culprit... THANX cybervic! :D

Hehe, glad if that solved your problem.

Back
Top Bottom