Off to Seychelles - tips, advice?

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Dane, 30 May 2011.

1. Dane

Dane

Hey guys,

So I am off to the isolated private resort island of Fregate in the Seychelles on Tuesday, where my girlfriend and I will be helping ring the endemic endangered bird - the seychelles magpie robin, for a month - all expenses paid! Hehehehe :)

I just wanted to get any seychelloise travel tips in case any of you have been there! Not sure how much time we'll get on the other islands - if any, but would still be good to hear any "must-haves" or "must-see's".

Otherwise, I'll have internet, so if I get some nice pics snorkelling I might post some here :)

Cheers,
    D

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. danimal

danimal

I went to the Seychelles on honeymoon, stayed on Praslin. Very awesome place!

If you get a chance you must go to La Digue - they do tours around the island, super intersting, fantastic beaces with snorkelling etc! Also the 3 island tour - they take you around in a ferry.

Enjoy!

4. NeilSmit

NeilSmit

La digue has a very nice beach, Coco's is best for snorkeling, and diving at most location are very good...

5. Tony

Tony

Take your own snorkeling kit along. The stuff they hire out is generally crap

6. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks guys :) I will be spending most of my time on fregate, but hope to get to see la digue etc. I will be taking my own mask and snorkel, but will borrow their fins. They are an uber exclusive resort (cheapest chalets are like 30k a night...) and us researchers can borrow all of their kit, so I think it will be good equipment. Hopefully I can wangle the dive master there to take us on a "training" dive or two, as I do not have qualifications myself... Seriously excited to get out of wintery cape town and into the tropical seychelles! :)

7. FransSny

FransSny

Enjoy Dane

8. brentch

brentch

The snorkeling on Silhouette Island is awesome. Even Mahe itself has very good shore entry spots, many fringing reefs with lots of fish life and plenty of hard corals especially Acropora spp. Saw some huge humphead wrasse 150kg+ on the deeper reefs!

Happy to see you doing your bit for conservation, good on you :biggrin:

Take your own mask and snorkel... No need to hire...
    Remember the rules to buying a decent snorkelling mask-

if it doesn't fit your face, put it back on the rack (it must feel comfortable and make a firm seal to your face when pressed up on your face).

Glass lenses are best.

Black silicone frames are best, they don't let light in and form a rainbow in your peripheral sight like the pretty see through ones.

Make sure you have at least 150 degrees vision with your mask on, if you put your hands out in front of you and move them back, see when you cant see them anymore without moving your head...

If you can get a low volume mask, get it...

A good spearfishing shop like Freedivers or Rob Allen will be able to help you out choosing a mask....

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

contrary to belief MANKINIES are NOT cool.. do not consume alcahol and find yourself in one.. it is a CRIME in any part of the world..

jokes enjoy..

Mask, fins, boardshorts and a fishing rod.. chick optional :)

10. 2balive

2balive

You should try to get to the Cadbury's Island, think it is call Aride Island. Amazing birds, reptiles and snorkelling.

Also the original forest with the love palms in Praslin.

The reefs around Praslin (and I assume many other) got bleached in the late 90s, so lots of coral skeletons and algae banks now, but still amazing places to dive on snorkel and scuba.

11. 2balive

2balive

Recent Posts