Odd Space For Marine Aquarium

nic3322

regal tang
Reaction score
hi guys its time for my next marine project
i have a spot the area is 300Wx850Hx850L what can i do with it will try and post a pic
tomorrow

thanks

you could setup a awsome little tank in that space!!

ok i have a few questions
what fish can i put in
can it be a reef
do i need a sump
thank in advance

ok i have a few questions
what fish can i put in
can it be a reef
do i need a sump
thank in advance

Small fish that won't grow big.

Not really loads of space front to back for reef, but a really shallow reef with small pieces of LR could work

Always need a sump

I like Warr's idea

Cover the whole bottom of the tank with a little substrate and lots of live rock, get a good clean up crew for the detritus, and away you go. It will be really cool to see fish swimming above a reef for a change

Hmm warrs idea is not bad at all. A reef about halfway up the tank, sugar fine aragonite nice arrangement of rocks. Will work I think. I think 1 250w pendant above that would also light it quite well. As for a sump, you have to have one !

a sump will be difficult because i will have to put it in the wall is there i can avoid it

i was thinking hang on filter and skimmer. but if not possible i will use the sump

i was thinking hang on filter and skimmer. but if not possible i will use the sump

Can be done, but not advisable. The sump with Deep Sand Bed helps keep your water parameters in good shape. If going for hang on bits and pieces you are going have to watch your parameters very carefully. Also this tank won't have much LR, so a sump would be ideal for more LR.

Live Rock is great for natural filtration.

There is nothing wrong with a decent "hang on" skimmer, if there is no room for a sump then that is the way to go, sumps are very handy, for keeping the display tank clear of clutter, but they are by no means a must-have.
Also DSB's are good, but again not must-have, i have seen many tanks without DSB's in fact half the tanks that i have seen in the UK don't have them, my next tank won't be having a DSB, certainly not to start with anyway.
Could you run an external filter? if yes then put carbon and a P04 remover in it and remove the fliter pads and ceramic tubes.

Can be done, but not advisable. The sump with Deep Sand Bed helps keep your water parameters in good shape. If going for hang on bits and pieces you are going have to watch your parameters very carefully. Also this tank won't have much LR, so a sump would be ideal for more LR.

Live Rock is great for natural filtration.

Live rock is essential for good natural filtration, but more is not necessarily better, good flow and well placed live rock to ensure as much surface area is open is much more efficient, spend a much as you can afford on the live rock to get the best (Fijian) it will be the best investment you can get for your tank.

ok i will see what i can do do i need 2 pices of glass or must i quote the wall

There is nothing wrong with a decent "hang on" skimmer, if there is no room for a sump then that is the way to go, sumps are very handy, for keeping the display tank clear of clutter, but they are by no means a must-have.
Also DSB's are good, but again not must-have, i have seen many tanks without DSB's in fact half the tanks that i have seen in the UK don't have them, my next tank won't be having a DSB, certainly not to start with anyway.
Could you run an external filter? if yes then put carbon and a P04 remover in it and remove the fliter pads and ceramic tubes.

Live rock is essential for good natural filtration, but more is not necessarily better, good flow and well placed live rock to ensure as much surface area is open is much more efficient, spend a much as you can afford on the live rock to get the best (Fijian) it will be the best investment you can get for your tank.

But for a beginner you would suggest not having DSB and small clip on skimmer ?

the LR, Sump with DSB, macro algae and big external skimmer have saved my bum, while getting to handle this hobby.

But for a beginner you would suggest not having DSB and small clip on skimmer ?

the LR, Sump with DSB, macro algae and big external skimmer have saved my bum, while getting to handle this hobby.

Not necessarily no, but, clearly it will be very difficult to fit a sump into the space provided, there are very good hang on skimmers Deltec mce300 for one, DSB's and macro algae are not necessary if you don't rush and overstock or overfeed, patience and the rule of thumb "nothing good happens quickly" are equally important
For what it's worth, of the three tanks i have successfully set up, only one had a sump, and none of them have DSBs, i have never had problems with nitrates or phosphates, there are many opinions to how to keep marine tanks, most are successful as long as you follow simple rules/ideas

1, don't rush
2, don't overstock
3, don't over feed
4, research everything you intend to put in the tank
5, regular maintenance
6, regular testing - including the r/o and salt mix to ensure you are not putting problems in.

I am probably one of the laziest reefers i know, but to combat this i never put any high maintenance fish or corals in the tank, so i can keep a good reef tank with the minimum of effort:)

Not necessarily no, but, clearly it will be very difficult to fit a sump into the space provided, there are very good hang on skimmers Deltec mce300 for one, DSB's and macro algae are not necessary if you don't rush and overstock or overfeed, patience and the rule of thumb "nothing good happens quickly" are equally important
For what it's worth, of the three tanks i have successfully set up, only one had a sump, and none of them have DSBs, i have never had problems with nitrates or phosphates, there are many opinions to how to keep marine tanks, most are successful as long as you follow simple rules/ideas

1, don't rush
2, don't overstock
3, don't over feed
4, research everything you intend to put in the tank
5, regular maintenance
6, regular testing - including the r/o and salt mix to ensure you are not putting problems in.

I am probably one of the laziest reefers i know, but to combat this i never put any high maintenance fish or corals in the tank, so i can keep a good reef tank with the minimum of effort:)

OK, then why suggest a Sump and DSB at all. We should all have clip-on bits and small skimmers.

As I have been reading even with the Sump, DSB and external skimmers, you have to follow the list above.

Are you saying sump and DSB's are for reefkeepers who want a quick fix ?:blushing:

i don't mind the work.
fish and coral wise do you know anything that will suite the tank best

OK, then why suggest a Sump and DSB at all. We should all have clip-on bits and small skimmers.

As I have been reading even with the Sump, DSB and external skimmers, you have to follow the list above.

Are you saying sump and DSB's are for reefkeepers who want a quick fix ?:blushing:

Please try to read the whole post, there are difficulties with this particular set up, as in space available, there are alternatives to the traditional sump system - they may not be able to cope so well if you want to go right to the edge of your capacity, but as long as you go careful as suggested, there is absolutely no reason why this system could not be as good as many others.

At no point did i say that there were any "quick fixes" in fact if you read my previous posts, i think you will find i believe the opposite is true, there are no quick fixes in marine reefkeeping, only slow steady progress, but don't get blinkered as to what must be done, there are always new ideas, be prepared to re-evaluate what you "know"

i don't mind the work.
fish and coral wise do you know anything that will suite the tank best

From my limited experience, coral-wise start with soft corals, hardy and can handle a certain amount of newbie mistakes. Then start looking at LPS and once you comfortable with keeping your tank stable and healthy move on to SPS.

Fish-wise you, need to do research, if you have corals, you will need reef-safe fish and then you need to look at how they will interact with other livestock.

Check out Fish threads

When stocking livestock it needs to be done slowly (like everything else)

Also go with fish that are relatively cheap, to limit financial losses if you get unlucky and something goes wrong.

If you cycle your tank probably and have right water parameters you will have very few problems and will love this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom