odd shaped tanks, joining query

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Neil H, 20 Aug 2009.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi DIY people

if i were to build a tank with an odd shape.... a corner tank or a hexagonal tank .... how would i join the glas panes

What worries me is the surface to surface joint, in a traditional 90 degree joint, we have 100% of each surface in the join, see first sketch, however as we move from this scenario to a corner tank join and on to a hexagonal tank join the contact area gets progressively worse

[​IMG]

how do we deal with this.... simply add more silicone? If so how does this impact the structural strength of the join, especially in large systems??

do we get the edge cut at a specific angle so as to achieve the same join as in a 90 degree join? if so where the hell do we get this done..... coz i promise builder warehouse will chase me out the shop if i come with yet another strange glass request, the okes know me by name there !!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Neil in my corner tank a small piece of bracing was placed & silicon ed on the inside of the joint. This with double top & bottom bracing keeps the thing together

4. H0nda42

H0nda42

Hi NeilH, take a look at this tank design and perhaps try this. You will certainly be the first in the country to do this tank!

[​IMG]

5. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks for the feedback Frans, i take it that the edges were not ground down to odd angles then?

the small piece of glass on the inside, was it made from the same thickness of glass and the main pane?

the bracing, is there an odd triangular shape spanning the width of the join or do the joins of the bracing also meet at the main joint .... (i think i confused myself there)

lovely tank there but nothing horribly complicated about that build other than getting the L shaped pieces cut !

6. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Neil,

No everything is left square and the gaps siliconed. Top and botton bracing is cut at an agle on the ends to vorm a V shaped interlocking joint. The bottom was further re inforced by laminating 150 mm x 10 mm wide strips to the solid 10 mm base

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Most L shaped tanks I've seen are actually two tanks, just positioned to look like one. With common sump. Give you the option to have predators like lionfish one side and prey on the other.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

neil to comment on the joining system used to secure odd angled joints you could ask the glazer to vevel the glass to a specific angle but this rarley works out 100% when it comes to putting the tank panels together so so save some cost and just rely on myself rather than the glazer i have a small strip of glass cut (15mm in width and the lenth of the height of the tank taking bracing positioning into consideration) and generously apply glue and this piece of glass as a seam.

i have had the unfortunate task of volunteering to repair many hexagonal tanks and its always bitten me untill i applied this method.

i have built some large tanks (2m x 650 x 650) and am happly to say they are sill standing with his methos in place. i then simply fill the exterior seam with glue o allow i to be neat and presentable.

i hope this explination makes sence.. :)

9. Pete

Pete

Am with Les and the others on the thin piece of glass that gets siliconed to the inside of the joint remember to fill the joint with the silicone and then apply the piece of glass the outside silicone gets worked down to create a neat joint on the outside to look neat. Most tank builders do it this way.

10. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks guys !!

11. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

What leslie said works very well. I have often built bigger tanks by getting someone like Da Vincis to bevel a 45 degree angle which works well too. Using a sliver of glass down the inside is a great reinforfment in any case.:)

Recent Posts