Odd acting zoas

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by KyleJ, 7 Apr 2014.

1. KyleJ

KyleJ

Hey so i bought my first corals about two weeks ago and for the first two days they were all open. Placed them on the bottom of my tank in about right in front they get a indirect flow as it bounces off the glass so id say they in a bout a medium flow area.

Anyway after that the 'heads' on the top stopped opening but the ones around the side would open beautifully. I've noticed also that on two occasions different ones would open up but wouldn't close. They opened up and almost seemed to invert, the tentacles would drop low down and the fleshy part would protrude up. And it kinda stayed like that, i wasn't too worried up until it seemed as if they would wither up and started to look like dried out mushrooms. After a couple days they closed up again but are smaller then before.

Also ive noticed a number of the tenticles seem to be a bit white, in some the tentacles which are white don't open so it ends up being half open and half closed and tonight i noticed in one the mouth too seems to be white.

I'd really appreciate your help on this, and as you can hear i'm very much a newbie.

On and as for paramters:
    PH 8.4
    NO2 0
    NO3 10
    ALK 8.4
    mg 1240
    ca 425
    salinity 1.024
    And as for lighting i have a tl550 with the standard lights

DSC_2102.jpg

DSC_2103.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

You could have a slug or snail eating those. Look at night when the lights are out.

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I would give the zoas an iodine dip...

carlosdeandrade likes this.
  5. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

you should check for any type of zoa predator.. what you can do is take the zoas rub you finger ober them to make sure they close them dip them in so fresh water and shake them around to dislodge anything.. then another thing you should try is getting them closer to the lights.. not to sure what the standard lighting on the tl is but im sure t5 and from what I've learmt is some zoa types like alot of light. .

6. archiecrain

archiecrain

the zoas you have there while very hardy and can take a bashing, can be sensitive to changes in lighting, nutrients and flow.

It doesnt look like a predator to me.....not enough damage to the skirt.

How long have you had them?

Whenever I move mine they can sulk for a bit before opening up again.The may be adjusting to your tank and will open fully in time if left and the conditions suit them.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2014
  7. archiecrain

archiecrain

Your tank is very still new so it may be a symptom of your tank still possibly cycling.....

What I would look out for is the polyps remaining closed and seeing diatoms growing on them or if they become closed and discoloured (going black)...then you know they dying and something is very wrong.

8. NO3

NO3

That is ZOA POX unfortunatly!

9. Afsal

Afsal

Zox Pox ??

10. archiecrain

archiecrain

Dont think so, looks like they naturally coloured that way. Zoa pox look like lots of small round white lumps on the outside skin of the zoa, that form in no particuler pattern over the outside of the zoa. They all close when the colony has zoa pox.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2014
  11. KyleJ

KyleJ Thread Starter

ive had my tank for near on three months now and the zoas for two weeks. Ive heard they dont like to be moved so i placed them on the bottom of my tank and left them there. I didn't dip them when i got them so do you guys think i should consider doing that although i haven't seen anything on them. But a spinoid worm which is attached to the underside of the live rock.

12. KyleJ

KyleJ Thread Starter

why an iodine dip. what would that do and how would that help?

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Zoas are one of the hardiest corals and generally dont mind being moved around

An iodine dip (iodine mixed in sea water) will kill most pests like snails, flatworms, crabs etc.

KyleJ likes this.
Recent Posts