Octozin

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by alarkins, 4 Jan 2011.

1. alarkins

alarkins

I had an instance of whitespot 2-3 weeks go which took my Clown Fish and Royal Gramma. I treated with Octozin for the required 3 days. Since I don't have a quarantine tank (or able to catch the Royal Gramma) I was forced to treat the main tank. I was advised that this was "reef safe" so my corals etc would be fine. Well both fish died but my corals are fine and doing well.

Question - would this treatment kill the bacteria in my bio filter? Reason for asking is that my Nitrates used to be at 5ppm, but after the treatement, this has doubled to 10ppm. I was thinking of adding a bottle of "reef start" (forget the supplier name - tropic something as far as I can remember) to replensih the bateria just in case.

Your thoughts?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Just a word of advise there are very few products that can treat white spot effectively and are actually 100% reef safe. It looks like the product you used was reef safe but not effective. There is a chance that it affected you bacteria in some way and thus the increase in nitrates. The more likely cause of your increase in nitrates would be due to the addition of the Red Sea Coral Grow. Most corals wont actively filter this from the water, in turn this form of micro food is left to decompose in the tank and in turn raise your nitrates. I have never used any form of coral food other than amino acids. If you want to feed your corals, rather just feed your fish and their waste will feed your corals.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2011
  4. Manic

Manic Moderator

I'm also a bit confused, in this thread you say you have a nitrate level of 10 but in your other thread you are talking about low nutrient levels. For corals you would enter a state of insufficient nutrients when both nitrates and phosphates are at undetectable levels on good reliable test kits. Even at these levels there will still be sufficient nitrates and phosphates as most test kits have a very poor accuracy at extremely low levels.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2011
  5. alarkins

alarkins Thread Starter

since the failure of the treatment I purchased a UV steriliser to kill the microscopic bacteria that is in the whitespot cycle. This filter is always active now and all looking good.

Nitrate has always been between 5 and 10ppm. I was worried that coral was requiring "other" nutrients to grow and not using nitrate - calcium etc and that was what I was referrign to when I mentioned low levels - sorry for confusion.

I have since seen that there are some tube worms and other filter feeders coming out on the corals and live rock and believe that the Red Sea Coral Grow would assist there?

Phosphatres I have never checked - maybe another kit to get with calcium etc?

Recent Posts