Octopus???

Nick R

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Okay all I want to know is are people keeping them? I’m sure there are some Small species and if there are people out there able to keep sea horses alive im sure some one has an Octopus!!!

Blue Ring?:whistling:

Ive seen those when I was in Singapore, but dose any one in SA have?

Sorry, the reason for the whistle is the fact that they are deadly, not recommended they can kill you!
"The blue-ringed octopus is the size of a golf ball, but its venom is powerful enough to kill humans. There is no known antidote."

some people do keep them but not many as the lifespan is not long. most are collected as adults and will die within 6 months of getting them - nothing to do with waterquality but that they live such short lives

i would love a blue ring - have the perfect tank for it - but 6 months - not worth it

thats sad! i didnt know they lived for such a short time. the Blue Ring is beautiful!

i just read that the most commonly kept cephalopod is a California Two-spot Octopus (Octopus bimaculoides)

Have to be kept in a species tank as they will eat all other fish, including other predators like Lion fish and they are escape artists of note.

Yeah you'd have to make sure the little bugger couldn't escape! They're like contortion artists, so can fit through the tiniest whole.

I watched a program on Discovery Channel where they kept an octopus in a tank (were testing its mental capacity and stuff) anyway, they noticed fish started "disappearing" from another tank but couldn't understand how as there were no bodies to be found, all the other fish were healthy and happy...

Any way, turns out the octopus would escape from its tank in the middle of the night, "walk" all the way over to the other side of the room and pick up a "snack", then walk all the way back to its tank!

Amazing!

also watched that - to feed them they put food into a bottle and closed the lid -the octo learned in no time how to open the lid and get the food. to keep them you also got to stimulate them -

also have a look at the mimic octoc (google it) - absolutely beautiful but needs swimming space not like a blue ring will can be kept in a 1mX1m as it is so small.

Definitely are amazing! And by stimulation i'm sure you don't mean TV? :lol:

I give my oct a few maths problems to solve each week. He prefers Graph Theory but also enjoys Calculus of Several Variables esp. integration and the pinching theorum. :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom