Octopus keeping & Info

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by PeterL, 22 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have seen so many people talking of all the neat exotics and it makes for interesting info, but why do we not see anyone keeping an octopus?

What is it about them which seems to stop people from keeping them, I know nothing about them other than they have 8 legs with funky suckers underneith and they just look really different than anything on planet earth - it would be interesting to learn a little about them, they are part of the ocean too after all.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Zombie, you need to build a very specific tank for those bad boys...they are worse than Harry Houdini

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I am not sure I would want one, but the thought of having one is somewhat cool...

When you talk of a specific tank, how so? I know so little about them and would like to learn more but I don't want to Google it just to get a seriouly sceintific perspective or have to read a professors thesis on the inner workings - just what they are about, what they eat, their habitat, what is it about them theat makes them nearly impossible to keep in captivity (from what I have heard)...

5. Manic

Manic Moderator

Firstly the can climb out the top of the tank so you will have to seal the top properly as they can fit through any hole the beak can (which can be tiny). It would be very hard to octopus proof a tank.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Check out the latest video clip on you tube .... Octopus bigger than an average adults head escaping through a 1 inch hole! A few years back I had 2 of them in a 5 foot tank .... One cleverly starved himself for a few days and kept his food as an ambush for the other under a pile of rocks ... then when the greedy one came for his "lucky stash of food" he was soon found under the pile stuck.... very very cunning, clever and truly brilliant escape artists

7. FransSny

FransSny

Ditto on that

no not difficult , bot a octo tank limits your choices

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Holy mother of all things weird...this is insane...check it out

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  9. chikaboo

chikaboo

I think as with predators there's a fine line about people in this hobby wanting to do their bit to conserve our oceans and then here comes eels,lions,octopus and other predators that sometimes require us to feed the very things we trying to preserve.... sure , prawn and shrimp and hake and other foodies we feeding our fish are sea foods but it's not like we seeing live stuff being gobbled up in front of our eyes ... Therefore these kinds of livestock become hard to keep mainly because of their food .... Did you know you can take any food dead or alive and put it in a jam jar ... close it tightly and throw it in the tank .... it would be "jam easy" for that octopus to "open" the jar and eat the food..... awesome creatures ....

10. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

11. FransSny

FransSny

Mods please move to predator forum

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Thanx poiro .... very long but excellent link ... very interesting ... thanks for sharing

13. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

That took some reading but well worth it, thanks bud - info appreciated.

14. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Cuttlefish are easier and also interesting animals. One thing that Octopus do not like to climb over is Astroturf.

15. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Something to consider in the long term, I have a completely exotics only tank in mind for a project in the future. Interesting one :whistling:

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Zombie Clam - Octopuses are BEST kept alone, and best kept with no fish in.... else all fish you keep with it, will at some stage become food...

I know that one can keep octopuses alive and well, with shell foods (ie. mussels, clams, etc...)... They also adapt readily to eating dead or live foods, as Chika has mentioned.

The "normal" marine tank methodology goes completely out of the window when one wants to keep an octopus.....

17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Octupuses MUST be kept alone.
    I had one for some time. they are not hard to keep and make great pets. They are intelligent and become very tame. Mine ate anything. When i first got it, it only accepted live food, but after a week it would eat anything..shrimp, hake, etc.
    Biggest problem with keeping them is they can and will climb out your tank. You have to seal off EVERYTHING. And they enjoy redecorating the tank.
    One other problem is they dont live very long. Their lifespan is only about two years.

18. maj

maj

would be very interesting to watch these guys in a tank,clever creatures
    but what size do they grow to?

19. 459b

if you going to catch one yourslf..the local common otopus (Octopus vulgaris) gets to about 60 cm. Theres also another species found on the west coast (Athrodctopus schultzi) which only gets to 20 cm.
    Our other octopus species in Octopus magnificus, that has arms that reach 3m. I have been lucky enough to se one of these and they are amazing.

20. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

David - did you keep a local West Coast octopus? Did you keep this octopus in a chilled tank? Or did it adapt to temperate water (20/21 degrees?)

21. 459b

I had the common octopus.
    I caught a tiny octopus when i was on holiday in Port elizabeth. When i got it, its head was about 1.5cm long and when its arms were spread out it fitted in the palm of my hand!
    i kept my tank at room temp, so around 21 degrees. Considering they live in rockpools they can adapt to a range of conditions.

Are you looking at getting one?

Recent Posts