Octopus hurricane

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Soyuz Apollo, 30 Jul 2008.

1. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo

Hi there,i'm brand new on this forum and it's my first thread.Maybe i'll introduced myself.I'm living in France,but i have choose south african forum cause i used to live in this Country (JHB) for a while.Beeing a member of differents forums and different Countrys ive noticed that each Country got slightly different method of reef keeping.But does not matter if you are here or there the gol is to have a dream tank.I saw that in SA many people are using octopus skimmers,not very well reputated in Europe...but i like to be different ,so i've got one in England...it's recilculacion protein skimmer hurricane nwd 110.Before i used to run my tank with prizm of Read Sea and its like a hell and haven...i was very suprised how well the octopus is working...my tank had changed in two weeks a lot,water become hyper clear and the life got a new dimention.I allready ordered the mesh mod from the USA and soon i should get it.Even without mesh mod it works perfect.The brand new skimmer did not have any noticed with so i have finded some information on the net.Thay sying,the best is to use pump 1 or 1,5 times the tank.Ive bought new jet 1200l/h and im trying to get best result plying with the speed of pumped water.What do you think??...1200 is not to much.Next thing im not sure about the water level,my skimmer water level is 10 cm highe then the level of my tank...it's correct...??...if not whot will be the optimal level...pump which is giving the water got a pipe about 20cm.My aqua is 160l minus 33l interior sump or whatever it's coled.Water is turning 2300l/h and circulation about 100 times the tank,but soon i will buy new circulation,i will live only the tunze 6045 and i want to get wave maker...chinish stuff,Boyu...I like very strong circulation but i dont want to have the "gun's" Marea...there are not to bad but to big.My tank is working for few months and accept the live rock and lobophyton there is not a big stuff there...My light it's HQI 150W 14000 K plus two times osram67 (i love the coulors of them...)Ok i hope someone will answer my question...onother think...is there a big different between oryginally neddle propeller and mesh mod...??...Thanx...and see U...Raphael...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

welcometomasaSoyuz Apollo

Thanks for the info, the reef octopus skimmers are very popular in South Africa, because of the great performance and economical price.

Would love to see some pics of your system ;)

4. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo Thread Starter

No problem...i'll put some photos but first i must see how this forum works...i guess i've got lot of things to read before and find the right place to put pictures.At this moment im plying with my camera.It's not easy make quit good photo of reef tank,cause of the colour temp...everything is to blue...not natural,but i must get a new camera (nikon200)...hooply soon...Raphael...

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

6. DragonReef

DragonReef

Welcome Rapheal. Viva le Bleu :D

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

:welcometomasa1: Soyuz Apollo

Try playing with white balance on the camera.

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome :)

9. Andreas

Andreas

Welcome to MASA!:)

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, Soyuz Apollo! I hope you have a GREAT time here with us!

The ReefOctopus is a GREAT skimmer. Perhaps not in the league of Bubble King, Bubble Master, or Deltec. BUT still really a GREAT skimmer.

The Needle Wheel works extremely well, but due to experimentation, one of our Admins, Alan, have tested the mesh wheel mod, and found that it makes the skimmer perform EVEN better, after the mod!

So, yes - as soon as you get the mesh wheel kit, by all means, go ahead!

BTW - per personal opinion is that 1200 l/h powerhead feeding the pump might be a LITTLE bit too strong, as the longer the water stays in contact with the bubbles, the better it would be skimmed!

So - please post some more information on your tank for us..... what other hardware do you have? Sump design? Lifestock?

Many thanks man!
    Cool!

11. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

:welcometomasa2: to MASA Raphael! Enjoy your stay with us and PICS PLEASE! BTW. great skimmer also want to get me a ReefOcto

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

welcome man

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hello

14. Christo

Christo

Welcome!

:wave2:

15. Soyuz Apollo

howzit everybody...wow im imprested by the warm greetings...i feel i will be feeling good to be parts of yours reefkeepers clan (wowo ,sounds serious and im such a nut)Coming back to my octopus recylculation skimmer im really very,very happy with the way how it works (the Eureopean must be blind to make such a bed reputation about the mark,or maybe not to many people here had a chance to own one of the beast)...im still waiting for the mesh mod kit,should be coming soonish...My tank is still very new,just a few months and im not to hurry to put to much life in that...i had experience with my old tank knowing that Rush is a good canadien rock band ,but is not something i need in my aquarium.At this moment i've got tank 160l inside sump 30 so around 130 l water...there is 14 kg LR...cyrculation tunze 6045 plus two times marea 2400 not mentioning the main pomp 2300 which is making the biggest tornado there,so i put hydor flo on it...soon i'll be changing something there,the big pump are vizually not to nice...im thinking of one wave maker behind the rock not to be seen,but for now i've got whot i've got...im owning as well osmolator tunze 3155,great toy which is keeping my level water and salinity at the same level.Jacques U said something about Alan 'admin) who make an experiment with the mash mod kit...is there some link to it...??...i m still not sure how to put the mash on the neddle turbine...i saw somwhere ,samone had cut half of that to flat it down and he put the mash on the another half...if someone got an idea how to do it propelly i would be thankfull...OK thanx and see U...Raphael...

16. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hey Raphael, welcome, great to have you on board. The Octopus skimmers are really good skimmers and are very popular here because it is a skimmer that performs very well and comes in at a decent price.
    The mesh mod is a very easy mod to do, you will have to remove 1 or 2 of the needle wheel assembles in the pump. Remember you have to leave 1 behind to attach the mesh to. Easy to do just use a really sharp knife to separate the needles along the shaft then put a layer or 2 of mesh with the plastic grate [will be supplied] in the front and tie the lot to the last needle wheel you left on the shaft. Trim the mesh and plastic grate to the same diameter as the needle wheel and then put it all back together again.

17. Soyuz Apollo

Thanx Alan,really sounds easy...i will do like that...Raphael...

Recent Posts