Octagon Tank.

Reaction score
Hey Crew,

I have an octagon tank lying around at home from my FW days and it is one of those tanks on an Oak stand with matching hood.

I can't get myself to set it up as a FW so I have been toying with the idea of going FOWLR just a few issue I need sorting out.

1. the tanks top was closed on top with a glass slider in the middle - I have removed this completly and its now open all the way - would I need to add bracing to the top or will it hold?

2. I have no sump and as it's a octagon with a single door to the stang I do not think it's possible to get a sump in so I will have to go hang on style with the skimmer - I have a Redsea Prizm lying around - think this would be good enough?

3. What stocking options do I have with a tank of this shape and size? it's 600 from side to side and 600 high?

4. Lighting will be 2 x 2ft ATI's and that's all I can fit in - this should be ok?

Any comments welcome....

SIMS, you live close enought to the ocean. Don't bother with the skimmer, i'd rather do water changes every weekend.

thats what i do here @ work no skimmer , 10% water change a week !!!

SIMS, you live close enought to the ocean. Don't bother with the skimmer, i'd rather do water changes every weekend.

Eish that's hard work - I live in Richards Bay so I would have to drive quite far to get decent water pluss I'm at work most of the time and when I'm off on weekends I don't wanna spend my time running up and down the beach with drums of water....

ive also got 1 of those octagon tanks lying around.was thinking of converting it into a nano,kept a few butterflys in it about 7 years ago.

Yip they do look nice and I think with rocks piled yp the back and the correct lighting will make a very nice small tank - where you gonna fit the sump? If I could get a sump in I would have started long ago on this tank....?

Ya but where would you house the sump? I have a sealed wooden stand with a single door probably about 20cm wide?

mines doesnt have a stand to it,was thinking of building one outa wood,the tank takes under 50 litres of water so dont think it'll be too heavy?will make the stand big enough to house the sump.need to get down to it.think i need to contact mr millepora regarding drilling the tank.what you think sims?

good idea.... think I'll give mine some more thought as a tank without a sump sort of scares me.... but hay need to fill the darn thing up because if the GF moans about the empty tank in the lounge again I think I'll put her in it!!

You mad it's solid oak!!! i like the GF in the tank idea much better :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom