Ocean Nutrition Frozen Food

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by tekkengal, 14 Oct 2012.

1. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi all,

I need some clarity regarding whether to rinse this food out (enriched brine shrimp) before feeding or if it is okay to just defrost and chuck in tank? I am aware of the phosphate issue and of the possibility of harmful bacteria (if any with this brand) but am I rinsing out all the vitamins and other good stuff for the fish?

Thanks in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi , when defrosting frozen foods , i usually will defrost and put in the food only , not the liquid around it to lower the unusable nutrients going in, but When its Super shrimp - one worries you loose too much Good vitamins...

So we no\w use New Era Lipto spray , it Helps bind the cell walls to keep the nutriens in the Brine shrimp in the defrosting process as when it was frozen the shrimps cell walls ruptured and will loose its goodness when defrosting.

The Lipto is also a flavor enhancer and Fish " feeding stimulant "
    The reagel angel and other large angels love this spray and i often spray it over flake to get them to eat quickly...

tekkengal likes this.
  4. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Method to use :

Get a tea strainer,add frozen block of food to strainer and let it thaw out, once its soft, squirt some tank/ro water over it to rinse it well,then add to small container and ad a drop or two of seachems multivitamins ,or any additive of choice for enricment... Let soak for a while and add to tank ....

In this way, the excess liquid that's high in phosphates/nutrients etc is washed away and replaces with wats good and usable by fish/corals

Last edited: 14 Oct 2012
  5. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks!
    So basically it is fine if I continue to rinse the food out? I just need to add some multivitamins over and above what is left on the shrimp?

6. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Not a necesity, you can add it as is ,rinsed ofcourse, the additives is up to you,I would say, if you want to get fussy fish to eat,u add 'entice',if you want to boost there imune system or assist in whitespot healing u would add 'garlic guard' and general health for fish and coral u would add multivit of any sorts, but again its up to you

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depending on your tank size and matureness. I just chuck the frozen cubes in a plastic cup half filled with tank water. Once defrosted, I dump it all in the tank. Yes, I would not promote this method to smaller tanks. But I got enough water and a matured DSB to get away with it.

Best is to use a tea strainer as advised. no need to add phosphates, only to struggle later to remove it.

tekkengal likes this.
  8. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks Riaan :)
    I am going to continue straining, may just look at adding some vitamins over and above what I am currently doing.

Recent Posts