Ocean Nutrition frozen brine - poor quality product?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Furbz, 28 Jan 2013.

1. Furbz

Furbz

Hi all,

i recently introduced a flame angel to my setup.
    in order to entice the new fish out i usually purchase frozen brine as a treat to help the fish start eating.

i bought ocean nutrition enriched frozen brine.

i have fed 3 blocks so far and in each block i am not kidding, there may have been 3 actual full frozen brine shrimp.
    the rest of the block is basically shredded brine that is so small my fish dont bother eating it. i'm talking dust sized particles.

i returned the box of brine to the pet store and they swapped out for a new box after i showed them what the product looked like.

however this box has been no different.

is anyone else having an issue with this product?
    and does anyone know of a better quality product that actually contains at the least some sizable pieces of brine?

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hatch your own brine the fish love it;)

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I never had this issue, I've been feeding my fish this for the last 6 months and the frozen shrimp have always been intact with very few, if any, small pieces.

5. Irma

Irma

I have had the same problem with the ocean nutrition enriched frozen brine. The fish will not even eat it.

I switched to the Ocen Nutrition Super Shrimp and this product is great and the fish go beserk over it.

6. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

*Licks pencil*

scribblescribblescribblescribblescribblescribblescribblescribblescribblescribblescribblescribble

Thanks for the tip! I've been looking to start supplementing my feeding regime. I'll stay away from the O.N. frozen brine.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ok, is the product the orange, the one that is enriched to enhance flavours? I think that one is rubbish, fish hate it, I use the supershrimp. Much better and healthier and you can see the shrimp.

8. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

glad to see i am not the only one having issues with this, i'm going to be taking the brine back to the shop again to swap out for the super shrimp.

its def the enriched brine i have. used a block of it this morning, NOT ONE FULL SHRIMP! the largest piece was maybe 1mm in diameter.

9. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

It's maybe better used as a coral food but then it's probably all exoskeleton anyway. It comes as a bit of a surprise because I've read nothing but good things about Ocean Nutrition's product range.

10. AD Scott

AD Scott

Hi Everybody. Let me try to help you guys out. I think there's a bit of confusion about the products. I'll post back in a bit with some explanations & pictures. Furbz, can you tell me where you bought the product?

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Hmm, kinda weird. Sounds like it might be a bad batch. I've used it a few times and never had this issue.

You should switch to mysis though...much more nutritious and fish go equally berserk for it. The marine mix is also good. It's a mix of brine/mysis/krill.

12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Yes, much better, and you could add your own vits as you need.

13. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

i will PM you the shops name

14. AD Scott

AD Scott

Okay, so I think the confusion is coming from the name Brine Shrimp. If you bought frozen Brine Shrimp Plus, you'll have to keep in mind that it's not frozen Brine Shrimp. It's part of the frozen formula range which are blends of various ingredients. It's also not the gel-bound formula, which is why it's breaking up into small bits. It is a very very fine blend. Ocean Nutrition told us that this batch came out finer than usual. It's only good for very small fish, and (as RocketRooster mentioned) can also be used as a coral food. It's too fine for most people, unless they have a lot of filter feeding invertebrates.

What you need to get it the normal "Artemia". These are still whole. Ocean Nutrition flash freeze these guys while they're still alive in the blisters with liquid nitrogen. This process minimizes crystals forming when the product freezes. All of Ocean Nutrition's frozens use this flash freezing technique, and it's why most foods are in such good shape when they're defrosted (minimal breakages, whole animals, better preservation of nutrients). We also keep them frozen in transit so they should be in good shape by the time the customer pops a blister.

I've taken a few pics of the frozen Artemia, and we just defrosted 1 block to show what condition they're in and what they look like. It's really good stuff. But the frozen "Super Shrimp" is in a league of it's own. The artemia are gut-loaded before going through the process mentioned above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bendor and viper357 like this.
  15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ocean nutrition (only frozen food I use) rock and super shrimp double rock , very good product!!:thumbup:

16. Bendor

Bendor

I'm a belieber! Will have to get Super Shrimp...

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@AD Scott I had wondered if the frozen product had not gone bad due to it being defrosted at some point. Your explanation explains well.

However I also wonder when indicators are going to make their way so that reefers and all involved can check by looking at the packet if temp has droped. Will save a lot of fish and tanks. Just a suggestion to you might want to pass on to ON. As you know Nemos Janitor uses the ON range of foods, but we have been blamed for deaths caused by the food only to find out that a extended power out was the cause. The client did not realise that the food had gone off due to defrosting.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

nolte how clear the water is too.....its a damn good product.....
    we have been able to sell and have been approached by many to sell there foods.....you cant compare.....ocean nutrition rocks,
    had the pleasure of meeting there ceo 2 years back....they know there stuff

19. Irma

Irma

The Super Shrimp is really awesome.

Is there a reason why baby brine shrimp is not supplied in the frozen blister packs?
    I would love to get some.

20. AD Scott

AD Scott

Yes, I initially thought at first that the food went bad, but when saw that it was super fine particles I realized it must be brine shrimp plus. The indicator thing would be great if they could work it out. If the foods are kept in the freezer in a vertical position (like at the pet shops), then at least the customer can have something to indicate if the food has defrosted. When the foods defrosts, it shifts in the blister and the air bubble moves to the top (in the vertical position). Also the food will typically darken in color. But thanks for the tip - I'll definitely pass it on. And thanks everyone for the positive comments.

21. AD Scott

AD Scott

Hi Irma, you mean freshly hatched brine shrimp (nauplii) with some of the yolk attached? That's a good one too, I wouldn't mind feeding more of that in our tanks. I'm sure live would be the best way to go (nutrition-wise), but a frozen one would be nice as an option for us lazy hobbyists. I think the main problem would probably be cost. But you never know, I'll also pass on that suggestion to them.

Recent Posts