nutrients and nutrients

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mandarinman, 9 May 2012.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

I have been thinking about this there are two different understandings of the word nutrients. the one relates to nutrition and what it provides to living organisms in order to grow, repair reproduce etc. then there is the of understanding of nutrients as being ammonia,nitrites,nitrates and phosphates. i always thought ultra low nutrient systems and low nutrient systems had little of either. then i thought about it and wondered what the balance should be. and i came up with the following: The ideal system would be well fed to ensure protein, carbs minerals and vitamins are available but is also being removed by being absorbed by corals or a skimmer if not used or removed from the water column by filter media like filter wool. if it has the chance to break down into "bad nutrients" then it must be broken down or removed by various media before its concentration has a chance to escalate. so to get the balance between nutrients and nutrients. feed corals regularly but small amounts and make sure you have a "knock em dead" super dooper nutrient removal system whatever that system may be!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

bump

4. SeanH

SeanH

OK I AM with you - strange as it may sound BUT - would it then be good to turn off the skimmer for a few hours after feeding with nutrients etc so that it isn't removed too soon? It doesn't help dosing and then only have 70% of it removed and never actually consumed. I am willing to give my stock, once i have it, a GOOD life BUT i am weary of doing senseless dosing and just filtering it out.

Where is the middle ground?

5. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

just take skimmer cup off for an hour after feeding

6. SeanH

SeanH

Would trning it off also not achieve the same?

Recent Posts