Number of fish per liter

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by hammers, 14 Dec 2014.

1. hammers

hammers

I know that the more fish you have the bigger the bio load which means you need more filtration, so if you over spec your filtration you can keep more fish but i was wondering if there is a generally accepted calculation for stocking a tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

There used to be something along the lines of an inch per liter (or something arb like that) but it is not really used as there are more things to consider (such as aggression, compatibility, sufficient hiding spots, feeding routines etc). Also, with eishkom's power supply problems, you will also need to factor in a suitable backup solution to prevent oxygen depravation to an overstocked tank.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2014
    TaahirS likes this.
  4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

there is no real rule, you determine this by the species you keep. each fish has certain territory requirements so the bigger it is the less of that species of fish etc.

but tekkengal has hit the nail on the head

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

yup i agree with intshebe (@dallasg):biggrin:

Last edited: 14 Dec 2014
  6. jimilutz

jimilutz

In freshwater, you use an inch per gallon. So you could keep 20 neon tetras in 100l tank. Apart from compatibility issues you also have to look at your filtration. I don't know if this holds for marine because coral also adds bio load and consumes O2.

7. hammers

hammers Thread Starter

thanks guys. Yeah I'm aware of compatibility and bio load etc, I just want to do some diving this year and I don't want to over stock, as nice as a full tank looks, im more interested in the over all well being of the fish and I hate doing things by trial and error so I thought I would rather check first.
    I remembered the calculation from when I was a kid and I used to keep fresh water and that's what made me think about it.

8. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Tekken.

Recommended amount of fish for a RSM 250?

9. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Really difficult to say. I would go on gut feel and look at the current filtration capabilities and hiding spots for the fish.
    For example, 5 anthias will make your water quality as the constant feeding will hit heavy on the bioload.
    5 clownfish will result in them constantly fighting.
    5 pod eaters (eg mandarins, copperbands and wrasses) will out compete each other for food.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say 7 different fish for a 250. I did however have 14 fish in my tank at one stage and all was fine (except for the four clownfish trying to kill each other) but was doing heavy maintenance on the tank (30 to 40% water changes weekly, cleaning skimmer every 2 days etc). I have cut that number down to 10 (and more recently to 7 as I moved 3 fish to my bigger tank) and must say that it helps.

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Photosynthetic coral (ie. most of them) and clams actually add filtration and allow a higher fish bioload. A large clam consumes a pretty significant amount of nitrate and phosphate to maintain it's symbiotic algae. Obviously if you're heavily feeding your corals then there is more strain on your system, but most people don't do that.

11. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Thanks for the info

12. jimilutz

jimilutz

While this is true, coral still excrete waste and use O2. So I am sure that while they consume some of the fish waste and extra food, they also contribute to the bio load. It is obviously different for each species of coral for instance I think Xenia consume a lot of DOM but don't look like they excrete much, leathers consume DOM and contribute a lot of slime, SPS consume fine particles but don't seem to excrete much etc.

Recent Posts