Nuisance Algae

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Storm, 14 Nov 2008.

1. Storm

Storm

Hello, Im having a Cyano issue... No matter what I do I cant get rid of it. My Natrates are under 10. I have 2X 750L per hour pumps flowing in my 1.2 / 290L Reef. I Have Used Chemicals to reduce Nitrates and my Skimmer is also overskimming. I have the urge to scrub my reef but im holding back for the moment hoping someone has a better idea... I also have this "Brown"ish hairlike algae which I take is flatworms growing all over the show "Again". This algae is even disolving my Green Star Pollyps... where as everything else is going fine. Any ideas?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Andreas

Andreas

Have you tested for phosphates?

4. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Um, no... I don't have a Phosphates test kit anymore :(. Think i must look @ Getting one again.

5. Jaak

Jaak

Cyano can be caused be either something leaching phosphates or too little flow. I think with only 2 x 750l p/h pumps in your system that could be your problem. You need around 25 - 35 times your water volume in flow. With all my pumps & wavemakers combined i've got 4700l p/h flow in my 120l Nano. Maybe something to think about...

Last edited: 14 Nov 2008
  6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Agree with Jaak - your flow is way too low. You need more towards 10000 -12000lph in there not 1500lph. What water are you using? Do you feed a lot?

7. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

mmm I was also thinking about flow. Ile look @ Getting 2 new pumps, somewhere around 2000l/ph maby? Also I am using crushed local sea shells (1mm) each as my substrate from EL. Could these be adding to it?

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

No, get yourself decent flow pumps, not powerheads. Good budget, reliable pumps are Seio's. Get yourself 2 x Seio M1100 - they give 4400lph each and you can run them off a controler later on if you want to. With more flow, you'll also get more surface movement which will give you more oxygen in the water, better gas exchange and evapouration, which will help with cooling again and so forth ;)

9. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

mmmk. Ile have a look today tnx

10. JD167

JD167

I found phosphates to be the culprit in the past... Once you have that under control and do a couple of water changes, you'll be fine.

11. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Nah i doubt its Phosphates, I think its more flow then anything. Are there any guesstimates as to how much 4400L/ph pumps cost? As I havent checked hardware pricing in a while.

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Phone Paula at Eco-Aquatics on 0842063714, here what she can do for you - she can ship also. Check the classifieds for second hand Seio's or other good flow pumps.

13. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

I dont want to seem rude, but i get no service from Eco-Aquatics. Im still waiting for my PMs/Emails which have been sent like 2-3 weeks back to be answered. So ile look somewhere else tnx

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I never dealt with them via pm's, but when I phone they answer and the rest is history
    I've always received good service from them ;)

15. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi Storm, I bought myself a Seio 4400LPH for R450 from my LFS just last night. Why not try Dorry's, Lanzo is quick to reply!

16. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

I have now added 2X 3000L pumps to the tank. Alot of detris being kicked up. Lets c if this works now...

17. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey Jaak.

My tank is also very new. Set it up on 3 Dec 08. I have been quite lucky on algae, but I have moved my tank and the sump below it. The water flow is DEFINETLY slower for a fact, as the sump water returning is slower. I am also now seeing a brownish hairlike algae forming mostly on my gravel.

Will increasing water flow reduce the growth of this?

My water parameters are:
    pH: 8.2-8.4
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 0
    NH3 / NH4: 0
    PO4: 0
    Temp: 25-26

*Note: All these tests are done with a Red Sea test kit - not sure how accurate they are.

18. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Storm, again this is a waiting game, cyano - the pinky stuff = phosphates, the browny stuff = diatoms = silicates, these and hair algae happen in new tanks and normally can last up to 6 months, but good husbandry and excellent water will win in the end.

19. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Well said Mike

20. mnd123

mnd123

Storm, I had a massive outbreak of Cyano with what I thought were perfect conditions - even upping the flow did not help! I had a Phos reactor in sump, and according to my tests PO4=0ppm, NO2, NO2, NH4 all = 0ppm, I had 90X flow in the tank, but it _would_not_go_

I did the following and it disappeared and has not returned

1) Cut my lighting cycle to 4 hours per day
    2) Put in a DIY carbon reactor and changed the carbon weekly
    3) moved from 2 weekly to weekly 10-15% water chages
    4) Put an airstone into the sump to drive up my redox levels
    5) Put the sump lighting on reverse cycle

It took a few weeks, but it worked.

I am anti the chemicals like Boyd Chemiclean (although Robin swears by this stuff - but he had the green type, not the purple peril), as it treats the symptoms - get the cause fixed!

HTH

Marc

21. deep_blu

deep_blu

how important is a phosphate reactor? does it depend on the size tank? also wot kind of lighting is ok 4 the sump? hair algae is the bain of my existance right now & i'm at my wits end!!

Recent Posts