Nudibranch or Flatworm ??

Reaction score
Hello Hennie,

Hoping that you can shed a bit of light on the following:

The pic below shows what I believe to be a flatworm. It comes from the Kenyan LR which I have recently added to my tank.

I've searched various picture databases on both Nudi's and flawtworms but I'm unable to identify this critter .

Any ideas ?

P1020274.jpg

it looks to me like a nudi.

kind= don't know

I agree, it looks like a Nudibranch, but it could quite possible be a flatworm (Polyclad) - it's impossible to say from the photo.

Nearly all nudibranchs have a visible "tufts" of exposed (nude) gills on their backs (the family Phyllidiidae's gills are between the mantle and the foot...), whereas flatworms do not have any exposed gills.

Is it possible to take some more photos, and/or describe the creature in more detail?

Have you tried the following links:

Marine Flatworms of the World
The Sea Slug Forum
Opistobranchs of the World

Hennie

Thanks Hennie,

Attached is another pic of the critter. If you zoom in a bit , there is a little "tufft" clearly visible at the base of the critter. The critter also seems to have two "horns" at the front. Sorry, this is the best pic I was able to get.

I've looked at the links you have supplied, but have been unable to determine the exact species. Would be good to know whether this critter is friend or foe.

Lastly , yesterday I had used some Prattley putty to stick down a piece of LR. Pratley Putty is slightly water soluble so it gives off a milky haze for a few minutes.
I was horrified to see the little critter floating around in the water after having used the Prattley putty. I picked him up, and he immediately started moving around on my hand.My anemones and other polyps (not sure what kind) appear to be doing fine this morning, but there is no sight of the little critter.
Hopefully this Prattley excercise hasn't killed off the little critter. :(

P1020269.jpg

Would be good to know whether this critter is friend or foe.

when it comes to Nudis / flatworms I would consider them "Foe", until positively identified as being "Friend" - there are very few of these creatures who are algae or detritus eaters, whilst MOST of them are specialized carnivores. In this instance, I would recommend that you rather catch and remove it as soon as you see it again - even if it does not attack anything else in your tank the chances are good that it will die from starvation, and could then release toxins into the water - rather be safe than sorry.

Hennie

when it comes to Nudis / flatworms I would consider them "Foe", until positively identified as being "Friend" - there are very few of these creatures who are algae or detritus eaters, whilst MOST of them are specialized carnivores. In this instance, I would recommend that you rather catch and remove it as soon as you see it again - even if it does not attack anything else in your tank the chances are good that it will die from starvation, and could then release toxins into the water - rather be safe than sorry.

Hennie

Thanks Hennie,

Will try and catch the little bugger when he appears again

Back
Top Bottom