nu fowlr?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by fresfis, 25 Jan 2010.

1. fresfis

fresfis

hi,i plan on starting a 550L FOWLR tank with a 120L sump.My questions-what size overflow and what return rate pump?what size skimmer?how much live rock and live sand?what size powerheads for optimum water movement?if sum1 can answer these questions i greatly appreciate it.thanx.oh i 4got.what are lighting requirements?this is my first sw tank which i will run 4 a year b4 upgrading it to a reef tank.thanx again

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

Hi there,

From my somewhat limited knowledge :confused1: (as I'm also quite new & still learning) you would need roughly 1kg of LR (Live Rock) for every 10litres of water,
    i.e. 550l = +- 55kg LR (you could use less or more).

WRT to your substrate, you have a few options, depending on your budget. You could use anything from Reggies play sand to Aragonite. Quantity wise, I'm not entirely sure, though if you are going with a DSB in your sump I'm very sure one of the sponsors will be able to help you out on this.

WRT the skimmer, rather opt for the best your budget can allow. It should be rated for double the volume of your tank, i.e. 550l = +- 1100l.

As for water flow/circulation you would need roughly 20/30 times the volume of your tank per hour minimum flow, ideally you would aim for 60! i.e. 550l = 33000l/h! (ideally)

Oh yes, & lighting, because your aim is to have a FOWLR set-up, your lighting needs are minimum, i.e. 0.5 – 1 WATT per gallon.
    When you decide to upgrade to a reef system you would be looking at 3.5 – 5 WATTS per gallon (depending on the type of coral you want to keep).

You might also want to find out about heaters, chillers, test kits, using RO water & the best possible way to set-up your sump...

Also do your homework WRT the type of Livestock you intend keeping... :mbounce:

Please note that I’m just passing on what I’ve learnt & still have a lot to learn! :slayer:
    I'm sure the more experienced members & mods will gladly answer your questions & correct me if I am wrong in any way...

So for now:

welcometomasa

hope you enjoy your stay... :wave2:

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

Well said nemo! It looks like the guys taught you well! Welcome fresfis

5. FransSny

FransSny

:welcometomasa2: fresfis..glad to have you aboard !

Ditto on what chicka said nemo...nice explanation

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome.

Well it looks like you want to run your tank for a year as a fish only and then "upgrade" to a full on reef tank. Well then change your planning now to go for a full reef tank, else you have to buy new equiptment in one years time.
    For Fish Only moderate lights are all OK. Well, even T8 lights will do. But these will be totally useless for a full-on SPS and/or anemone tank. If you go for softies, leathers, mushrooms and the odd LPS like hammer, frogspawn and open brain corals, then T5's will be ok. Even bubble tip anemones. Also deeper tanks are ok (above 600mm).
    But SPS and almost all other anemones needs a lot of light. Metal Halides and shallower tanks works better (600 and under).

So what I'm saying is do your planning for eventually what to achieve with your tank. And believe me, your plans will change.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Good post Nemo_Jhb! Great to see that you learnt a lot already! ;)

W.r.t the return pump sizing, fresfis - I would suggest a pump between a 1000 and 1500 per hour. You don't want the water flow through your sump to be too fast. You just need to ensure that the return pump can handle the amount of bends in your return pipe, as well as the "head" distance.....

I would agree with Nemo_Jhb's suggestion on the skimmer.

W.r.t the live rock - the amount is about correct, BUT, you don't have to have all of that in your display tank. You can have more of "dead/fake/bio-rock" as base rock (at the bottom), and then rather get some smaller/less but of the highest quality live rock that you can afford.... you can start with less live rock, and then "build up"....

Once you start getting corals, they mostly come on live rock as well......

W.r.t the substrate/sand - I would also agree with Nemo_Jhb - in the display, it depends on how deep you WANT to keep your sand. If you want a Deep Sand Bed in the display tank as well (a good thing, but not everyone likes this) - then you would need to have enough sand to fill the bottom of your tank up, to 10 to 12cm....
    this could possibly be up to 15-30kg's - depending on the dimension of your tank (perhaps slightly less).....

Good luck man.

9. fresfis

fresfis Thread Starter

Many THANX

Thanx a lot guys,i will be shopping around for my equipment during the next month or so.anybody know a good lfs in cape town and surrounding areas especially for my live rock.oh i think i will have dsb in my sump.thanx a lot once again. :thumbup:

Recent Posts