NSW set up success anyone???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by roderigo, 30 May 2011.

1. roderigo

roderigo

Hi anyone of you guys use NSW in you tank any long term success stories and any advice or tips and can I use live beach sand in my DSB anyone thanx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Yes, yes and yes. :)

I have always used nsw...why use synthetic when u have access to the real thing . Have never had any issues with using it. Live sand from the beach for your dsb is perfect. Just make sure u collect it from below the low tide water line and make sure it is of a sugar fine consistency.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

that's great

That's cool so what do you do with your NSW before you add it to your tank any tips

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Nothing really, I don't do too big of a water change so don't really stress about temp and salinity too much. Just make sure they are roughly the same and go from there.

However doing things correctly, make sure u use your water within say 2 hours to avoid bacteria dying off. If you don't use it straight away leave it in a drum in the dark for about 2 weeks to allow the bad bacteria to die off. When doing this font use the last bit of water in the drum as that is where your die off has collected.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Thanx for the info bud when do you get your water high tide or low

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I collect at low tide myself as where I collect it is easier to do so when the tide is out. I would say collect at high tide though if possible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I believe at collecting water at low tide.Mainly coz Ive found that at high tide the water tend to be dirty due to the fact that the water flows over areas thats exposed closer to shore than areas off shore exposed over low tides. Where if you collect at low tide you can go in deeper and get cleaner water. But this may also just be where I stay as I am sure every area is different. I also would not collect water after a spring tide. You will see the water tends to be alot more dirty. When you collect,look for pipes running into the ocean(drain pipes and sewerage pipes) and dont collect near them. After alot of rain I also dont collect and when its not as windy. I know this sounds hectic but once you have found a good spot,its as easy as checking out the weather and tides. Remember to collect water as deep as possible. I go as deep as I can before getting to wet.I then get it as deep as possible. Junk like oils and stuff float on the surface. I then pour it through a filter stock,heat it up and put it in my tank( I always check the sg as a few times I had to dilute it a little with r/o to get it the same as my tank). good luck and if you can get free water.use it like I and alot of other people do.

Last edited: 30 May 2011
  9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im extreemly lazy but enjoy an oversized waterchange 200lt + on my smaller systems,
    we pump water from a slipway usually on an incoming tide when the clearer water is right at our feet. and then i do the change as soon as i get home.

i drain as much as 3/4 of my water out of my system and then refill, the whole episode including the collection of water( which is a 20-30km drive one way) takes about an hour and a half to do.

i dont particularly mind if the water is a little murky as thats why i pay so much for a skimmer my hardy sps like plating monties dont seem to mind it but i do get an algal bloom on the glass after such a waterchange but in general run my systems lean so i welcome it.

cant beat NSW,

10. maj

maj

The guys who have success with NSW,what filtration do you guys run?
    Ie skimmers,scrubbers,reactors,antiphos goodies etc

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I too use NSW and have done for the last 8 or so yrs, genrally collect on the high tide when its not too far to scramble over the rocks. I use the water within the 2hr mark if the water is dirty i run it into the tank through filter floss but thats it.

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I use NSW and collect on an incoming tide. Water is used up in less than two hours after collecting.

13. mupwi

mupwi

I also use nsw and haven't had any problems infact all the critters in my tank seem much hapier with it I think because it contains things like plancton and stuff it was the only way I managed to keep my muscles alive wenever I have switched to sinthetic I have had muscles die. As stated above it can somtimes. Cause a bit of alge especialy after a big storm. But I have my convicts to take care or that but I still generaly avoid colecting for a couple of days after a storm. For filtration I run a way undersize skimmer boyu 310 rated for 100l on a 300l system live rock and 2 small powerheads one with foam and filter floss the other just a foam filter

14. Qaiser

Qaiser

how do you get the water heated within 2hrs. i collect the morning and wait till the night for the water to get warm. i use a fresh water air pump, will this help prevent die off

15. mupwi

mupwi

I find just leaving the bucket in the sun fo about half an hour does the trick but mine is normaly right by the time I get it home. The advantage of driving a hatchback the sun shines through the back window onto the bucket. This may not work for capetown winters though

16. Evo R

Evo R

My tank has been running with NSW for almost 16 months now.
    I have 3 chambers at the back.1st is overflow with anti po4 and filter floss, 2d chamber is only heater and last chamber is only return pump.

I collect at the same spot water for more than a year now.
    And i leave the drum outside in the sun for half an hour or so and then do the water change.

And when your collecting NSW remember 2 things,
    1. if the water looks dirty or there are things floating on top.comeback later or the next day.
    2. Make sure the water your getting isnt near drain pipes ect that can faul the water.

17. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Thanx guys for all the tips I'm gane use NSW and NLS in my dsb in my sump set up

18. leslie hempel

for me its a skimmer rated to double the tank volume only.. no other filtration other than LR within the display..

19. leslie hempel

i dont heat i like a bit of a temp drop.. i dont like it when my fish and corals get soft and demanding.. :tt2:

20. maj

maj

Oh ok,lotsa peeps i know use water from aquarium but then they treat ther waterchange with a litre of stability and use lotsa anti phos to treat the water in order to prep it,change carbon more often and have nitrate reactors to reduce the nitrates and po4.

But the pattern im noticing is that the guys who fetch NSW ithemselves and not from aquarium(close to harbour)are gettin better results.

21. leslie hempel

@maj

the spot we collect at isnt totally unpolluted, if the river comes down there is a definate sewage problem identifiable by the smell so we would be niaeve to believe it was a full proofe collection point, but it is generally more visibly clean (water clarity) and being further out of town subject to less sewage outflow (or so we hope)

I know the "correct" way to calibrate seawater is to heat it and then adjust salanity before addition to the system, but i have opted not to and it has worked fine for me. i am consious of my salanity at all times and generally run my system a little fresh.

the biggest risk for me using this system is the possibility of introducing a stong chemical pollutant that may wipe out everything, and i still feel that this is rare.. id just like to mention that you can get more harm from letting your water stand in drums waiting to be used than NSW itsel if the drums are not food grade as they can leach chemical pollutants back into the water. i know one or two people that have had their 1000lt flowbins stand in the sun and as the plastic gets baked by the sun it has opened up layers that are thought to be toxic..

so beware..

Last edited: 31 May 2011
Recent Posts