NSW question

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by AquaLene, 17 Dec 2013.

1. AquaLene

AquaLene

Hi all, my first marine tank has been up and running fine since I started it in Feb 2013, although I do seem to have extraordinary algae growth (good stuff and some bad). Not sure if bad algae is maybe coming in from NSW? I have just been letting it stand for about 10 days in a dark place after collection before using it for water changes (sometimes less than 10 days).

Should I be running an airstone in it or any other preparation, or maybe let it stand longer before using? Is there a process I should be following with it?

Type of tank: Mixed reef. Light, 150w 14000k metal halide. Size (with sump) 200L. Small skimmer. Live rock in main tank, algae and DSB in sump.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Best bet would be to test the NSW parameters ,especially PO4,no3, after collecting it. If those readings are high, it will fuel algae growth. Ive been using NSW for years without letting it stand. Do you use R/O water to top up? Have you tested the R/O waters TDS, that can also be a problem.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

The general consensus is to keep it for about 2 weeks before using it and when you do use it, do not use the bottom 2 inches of water as apparently this is where most of the die off will be. So perhaps that is contributing to the algae issues in your tank?

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

Use within 12 hours of collection

6. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

I have also run reef tanks with NSW in years gone by and used water with in hours after collection. I would think leaving it to stand for days or even weeks could cause problems if there was die off of any organisms in the water.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip as mentioned. Letting the water stand without aeration, movement and stable temperature will result in issues. All the bacterial live in it will have issues, dying out. Plus their food supply would run out.

Best is to use it as quickly as possible.

8. AquaLene

AquaLene Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Fresh is actually easier, can collect as I need. :thumbup:

Recent Posts