NSW how to store?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Warr7207, 10 Feb 2009.

1. Warr7207

Warr7207

If you going store NSW, keep in the dark and don't "turn" with a powerhead. The dead creatures from the water will settle at the bottom of the container. When needed siphon off the water leaving the last few cm's of water and dead muck behind.

Then do whatever your heating/airation method is and add to your tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi warr7207 - not fighting with anyone but this advise given to me three weeks ago : "chikaboo I see ***** has already asked you how you store the water, I would get a power head and place it in the water container that you store your water in for circulation this way your water will keep longer" - thats why made the suggestion about powerhead so what does everyone else think? Powerhead or no powerhead? remember i'm storing about 1000Ltrs at a time!

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Guys, i thought this was important and warranted more input and so as not to derail the maintenance tips thread, i've moved it - it should get more coverage out on it's own.

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

No problem Mike just saying all the advise given on this site should be taken with a pinch of SALT (pardon the pun - being a marine site!) - With all due respect to all the guys/gals their input is valuable and beneficial to everybody but at some times gets confusing! But after everybody's contribution to a topic and logical reasoning behind what one firmly believes (and sometimes is just trial and error) we all can learn - so enough said - I see warrs point about powerheads but logic is also telling me that stagnant water tends to breed all sorts of nasties (which we dont want in our tank) So whats everybody else's opinion?

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Chikaboo - as long as the containers are enclosed, and nothing can get into the water - then there is no problems with leaving the NSW unperturbed.

I usually fetch my NSW, and only start using it a week or sometimes 2 weeks later.
    And in the 4 and a bit years of keeping marines - I had no issues, due to the NSW I use.

7. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Well the one point to consider, we are told how much life is in NSW and it doesn't matter how much air you pump into it, the life forms are going die. So if you not going use the water and there is nothing to process the die off, what generally happens ?

Also NSW is stored in the dark, to intentionally kill of all life forms and possible pathogens.

I have never used NSW, so have no personal experience, all I am relaying is what I have read in books and forums.

If your powerhead method works, then go with it Chikaboo.

If you feel advice on MASA is bad or incorrect, then tell us the correct way, this is the whole point of forums.

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry to have offended you Warr but read my response carefully again I never said advise was bad or incorrect! All im saying is sometimes gets a bit confusing (especially if you trying out a new hobby and things dont work out) when ppl have difference of oppinions but we all were new at some stage or the other so we have to take advise given to us and see what works for us (and others)- Appologies once again

9. lIghty

lIghty

I've normally used the "store in dark place with no pump" method, knowing all life will die and sink to the bottom, BUT just thinking about that, the "undesolved matter" will sink, right, but what about the nutrients that is released into the water that won't sink, like if you had to chucking a died fish in a drum of water, bones etc will sink but the water will still have the nutrients in it.:whistling:

Why not run a skimmer and remove this?

Last edited: 12 Feb 2009
  10. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Dude, I don't get offended by members and no need to apologise, but my comment still stands ;) That is the whole point of the forum, to talk about these things and if it creates confusion, I respect you saying so :)

11. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Sounds like a good idea, especially if you test the water and it has unacceptable nutrients

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Exactly the way I use to store NSW in the past. Just a power head and a hang on skimmer.

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Is the dead matter floating to the bottom the only reason for not circulating the water?

I store my NSW in a bin attached to a porter pool pump to filter and circulate the water. I guess the filter then filters out the dead matter. What I noticed once when i left the pump off was the water got a really bad smell to it even though it was sealed. where as when the water circulates i dont get this smell. Checking parameters with this method everything is in check.

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Chikaboo, just remember that maybe the advice was given by someone thinking you make up synthetic water and did not know you store NSW. For synthetic I would say use a powerhead to ensure all salt particles dissolve - and to keep temp constant by circulating the water around the heater. I've never stored NSW, so will not comment on what is best or not regarding that.

Recent Posts