NSW ... good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by PeterLoubser, 5 May 2010.

1. PeterLoubser

PeterLoubser

Obviously RO water + good quality salt seems like the best way to go to ensure consistent water quality. I used to get RO water from my local F&V but they have stopped the service so now need to drive 30mins to my nearest LFS.
    I am a member of the Two Oceans Aquarium and also live 100m from the beach so have always considered the option of using NSW. Looking at various threads i can't seem to get handle on whether it is a good idea or not?
    Some threads seem to indicate possible high phosphate levels for NSW (which won't help my GHA problem) and i couldn't get a definitive view on what happens if you keep NSW for a few weeks (makes sense to collect 100 litres at a time but i only use 25 litres every other week for my nano tank).
    Any sage advice?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

I also live at a beach and collect from the beach, In my oppinion its better than Two Oceans cause its not used whereas Two Oceans is used. The onlything about collecting from the beach is that you need to watch the water to get good Quality and some times the water can be murky for a full week but thats mostly in summer but still its very seldom and there are ways to get around this. Winter = great water right now it slovely in Blouberg. SO my 2cents is Beach NSW 1st choice and TOA NSW 2nd choice, there are also traces of heavy metals in TOA water from time to time.

Trev

4. Evo R

Evo R

I only use NSW and had a problem or two but that was all my fault(Noob mistakes)
    If you are collecting in rock pools or near rocks use water that is constantly flowing.And look around you and make sure there are no drains and overflows nearby that can contaminate the water.And obviously make sure the water is not brown and or dying things floating around.Other than that i never till thus far had any problems.
    And i do 15l water changes weekly.

5. Dane

Dane

Trev what do you mean Two Oceans is used? Its not second hand water thats been through their tanks if thats what you mean? Its straight from the ocean... Obviously being close to the docks that has some issues. But they monitor water quality and wont pump (run closed system) when water quality is poor. They can't detect everything, but I've never had any problems with it. I believe the biggest issue is high phosphates.

6. Dane

Dane

Personally I recommend NSW. I would never be able to afford this hobby if I used mix. You can work around the high phosphates by adding something like an algal turf scrubber..

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Dude, if you got access to clean NSW (keyword "Natural") use it!

8. Dane

Dane

Truth is however, every tank and setup will respond differently to different water chemistries.... I suggest you try it, switching verrry gradually, and be prepared to do large water changes with mix if you encounter problems... Do comprehensive water tests on both your source (NSW) and your tanks water and cater for discrepancies... as mentioned previously - install ATS or overrated skimmer. Some phosphates are removed by skimming DOCs.

9. Dane

Dane

Other benefits of NSW include foods for coral and guaranteed added little itty bitties.. ;-)

10. amalick

amalick

To mix or not to mix ?

I've been using 2Oceans water for several years now, and agree that adding an ATS did seem to control the phosphate challenges for me. My initial tank fill up (+/- 2000l) was done with NSW from Bloubgerg strand.

However, im on the brink of switching to salt mix, since collecting 200l of water every week is becoming a big pain in the but:razz:. In addition the general concensus amongst reefers so far seems to suggest that good quality salt mix is better than NSW for consistent good water parameters.:yeahdude:

At +/- R1 per liter salt mix is a bit on the pricey side though, and just seems silly for us folks living so close to the sea.:(

11. maj

maj

Is it better to stay with 2oceans water or get a cheap marine salt?
    one of my buddies switched to a cheap salt form 2oceans and his tanks colours look 10X better

12. Dane

Dane

Maj do you have an ATS? Phosphates can do a whack of wierd things, including decrease rates of calcification, fuel nuisance algae growth etc etc etc, lots of which can affect water clarity.

13. Trev

Trev

I have been told by a few people that their water comes from their outflow rather than straight from the harbour.

Trev

14. amalick

amalick

IMHO I doubt that "cheap" salt could be better tha 2Oceans water. If budget is a problem, why not consider alternating between a good quality salt mix and NSW from 2Oceans.

15. maj

maj

yip,i have an ATS,but switched it off after discovering ther was a short in the pump causing me to get shocked evrytime i put my hand in the tank:p

Amalick,i think i might just switch over to the salt mix in this year still,many have told me cheap salt is beter than NSW or 2oceans.
    is it ok to mix 2oceans and salt mix when doin water change?

16. PeterLoubser

PeterLoubser Thread Starter

Wow guys thanx for the fantastic response ... lots to think about .. sounds like a thumbs up for NSW. Bought RO + salt costs about R2/litre which costs me about R100/mth which is not too much considering the potential cost of losing my critters. Just the inconvenince of having to go out to LFS to pick up the RO and not using enough water to justify my own system.
    I am also have a major problem with GHA and am trying to get my phosphaste levels down. Working in town it would be quite convenient to drop down to the TOA during the day for water but would then would want to get 100litre at a time and need to know that i can keep it a month without it going 'off'?
    Staying near the beach is great but would still have to get in my car to fetch water as lugging 2 x 25litre containers 100m or so across the dunes is not so much fun .... not like i can pick some up whilst walking the dogs ... :-(
    Think what i will do is collect some water and thoroughly test it to see what it contains first and then start to implement gradually ... i am in sunset beach so expect the water to be pretty clean - (no pesky jet skis or rotting wrecks nearby). TOA have also given me contact details of their aquarist to speak to re water quality.

17. Dane

Dane

You can keep salt water for quite some time without any problems. Some people place it in a semi-opaque container where it gets some sun. This will result in microalgae growth on the inside of the container which should pull some of the excess nutrients...

dunno tho? :p

18. amalick

amalick

I cant see why not, but IMHO I would not do both at the same time (i.e. similtaneously). I was thinking more like.. Do a salt mix 1 week and then use 2Oceans NSW the next week and so on..

In that way you kind of get the best of both worlds.
    - Many usefull elements and an excellent water quality when mixing salt

and

- "critters" when using NSW from 2Oceans immediately after collection

Also you then don't have to budget for a full months worth of salt mix meaning you should be able to buy a better quality salt. In winter i'm sure you would apprecaite having some salt mix around for those days when lugging water from 2Oceans just feels like to much of a pain as well.

The one thing I would NOT do though, is use a cheap salt mix (Personally I would rather use 2Oceans NSW before I did that)

19. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Before I give my 2cents, what is ATS and what is GHA????
    I know what WTF means!:p

20. Trev

Trev

21. Trev

Trev

As far as I am conerened never leave salt water for more that 2 days before using

Recent Posts