NSW Collection Points

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 20 Feb 2010.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Can anyone help with a water collection point in CPT ? My problem is I need a spot where I can get close enough to use a recirculating pump (Waterblaster HY 7000, only 3,7 mtr max head). The 500 L jo jo also ads about 1 mtr of hight on the back of the bakkie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

hi frans if you go out to blouberg and drive with the sea on your left ,after the beachfront there is a turn to your left , after that the second road to the left again takes you along a small stretch of beach with parking very close to the sea. and the water is good. if you have any direction hassles give me a shout

4. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Cool Thanx Mandarin for your help over the last few posts...hectic finding your way around if you are ex gauteng :p Will go check it out today. Reaaly dont feel like carting 500 L of water up and down by hand

5. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

how bout two oceans frans?

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

water is taken from harbour and i wouldnt use it anywhere near corals. think of all the metals etc in that water
    (not gonna put my livestock through that)

7. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Will use them in future johan, my problem is volume !!!! Had to drain about 1200L + because of leaking sumps (see what happens if you dont FW test first :p),plus building a 2,5 mtr coral holding tank, and need to fill them again ASAP to be ready for the first LS shipment

As far as I know you are only allowed 400 L / week from 2 oceans

8. Johan van Aardt

ill fone a bud at the research institute for you, i know they dont allow people to collect there anymore, but ive still been collecting there now and then when ive had trouble with dirty water down at the beach.

9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx Johan:thumbup:

Interesting point mandarin, thanks for the warning

10. Johan van Aardt

jacquesb has been collecting water there since he started this hobby and he has had minimal problems

11. Elrond

Elrond

I also collected water from the aquarium for over a year - no problems at all. They heavily filter it. Nothing wrong with direct from the source though - provided you don't go on a day (or days) after rain... or at red tide... or near a river... or sewage outlet... but lets not be overly paranoid :p

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

agree with johan that there are days when i wouldnt collect water cos the oceans skimmer is pushing foam and crap onto the beaches, but it is a bit of a hit and a miss on that one!

my new setup for playing frag is totally ro and salt mix but that is for sps only. other setups i will use nsw

13. maj

maj

many ppl have been using the 2oceans and believ me ppl take much more than 400litre at a time,iv seen it many times as i had to wait behind them for the my turn to get 100litres:p

14. timhar99

timhar99

I wouldn't go anywhere near Blouberg these days. With all the developement that has screwed up the place, the sewerage outlet leads to the ocean. Just go and check the algea blooms they have there - the other day I went there and the whole beach was covered in green and brown slime!!!
    SMRI is the best, but they aren't open to the public anymore, try get yourself a connection there(and you can take as much water as you want)!!!

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

with the amount of money spent on corals, i think im gonna stay with synthetic for a while

16. maj

maj

if u can afford synthetic then i would say go for it,but i rather put my money into some fish and corals ad collect water at 2 oceans,never had an issue with it besides low in calcium

17. mandarinman

mandarinman

just for my ulns frag tank

18. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Might be a stupid question, but how does rainy/windy weather effect water quality

19. timhar99

timhar99

It washes all the crap down the storm water drains into the ocean. This pushes up things like E-coli counts from dog poo in the streets etc.
    I think 2 oceans shuts their pumps off during big storms.

20. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx tim, was also thinking that (probably worse in winter time with long periods of rain), what about the few days we had now (strong winds, some drops falling etc)

21. timhar99

timhar99

Other things to consider - in the summer time when the South Easter is howling, this blows all the top layers of water away from the land (I'm talking about the west coast now), so this creates a process called upwelling, where all the cool sediment rich water gets pushed up to the top. This is why people in CT might always why the sea temp is colder in summer then winter. However, this means there will be alot of sediment and detritus in the water, so not really good for tank water. In winter it's the opposite, so the wind changes to North Wester and holds the warm water along the coast - especially in table bay. ie. warm water in the bay in winter.
    So this means that in terms of water collecting, watch out for days with strong South Easter in summer especially, watch out for storms with heavy water flow into the sea through storm water drains and of course watch out for things like red tide and abnormal pollution spills such as oil spillage.
    Hope that clears everything up Frans

Recent Posts