Nps setup, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Fishman, 24 Feb 2010.

1. Fishman

Fishman

hi guys. been away for a while and been thinkin really hard. im planning on setting up a new tank, thought i'd just run it by you guys. its a 3ft all glass. i have a 1000lt/h powerhead, 150 watt heater. i wanna drill the tank for an overflow to a 2ft fuge filled with chaeto and hundreds of pods i already have. is it possible to drill the back pane and still have a durso (external durso i think!) that will be silent? plan on keeping 2 or 3 colonies of sun corals and maybe a fish or 2, but not heavilly stocked. for lighting i was thinking of a simple blue led fixture, for viewing only. i do realise the feeding requirements of these corals and am willing to give it my best. am planning on feeding 3 times weekly. any thoughts?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You can drill the back pane. Safer than the bottom, especially on standard 3 foot tanks.

Question, you got one powerhead of 1000L/h in there. And the tank is in the region of 90L. I guess. If more then even worst. So you have 11 times turnover only in the tank. Add another. You must have so much sediment in the tank and in your live rock. Should aim at minimum 20 times turnover or more.

Also check out Jaco Schoeman's thread. Awsome tank, but a lot of work. But the joy is priceless.

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi Fishman

NPS is a nice challenge - but at this stage I have to ask what experience do have at keeping marines? No problem if you have none at all, but you will need the guidance of experienced reefers then, not only for the coral itself, but for all the challenges you will face.

Let me say at this stage that 1000l/ph flow is not at all enough on a 3 foot tank. My 3 foot tank has 11000l/ph on a closed loop system, and that might even be too little. The major problem with NPS is the filtration of nutrients. You need food in the water, but to get rid of the NH3/NH4, N03 etc buildup is the challenge.

NPS is a lot of work, and a lot of dedication. If you are a huge NPS fanatic, go for it, but if you are only wanting to keep them for their nice colors, I would suggest staying away from more difficult NPS species.

Gimme a shout if you need help, and give us an update please. ;) What are your nutrient export plans?

6. Fishman

Fishman Thread Starter

point taken about the flow. Neat thread jaco. Seems like alot of work! Ive been rethinking the sun coral tank. So i was thinking...what about a tank of aiptasia! I think they kinda cool. It will be a species tank. Anybody ever tried it. I love the way the move in the current and they very hardy! Anybody got the white one's. Was planning on using chaeto for nutrient control and export.

7. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Yes, NPS is really really a lot of work, much more than anything I have ever done, and I have three children!!!

Aiptasia tank huh? JacquesB and Frans can help you out with "Frags"...

Why not rather look into tube anemone's? They are larger than aiptasia, more beautiful and also require zero light? Also look stunning in low flow.

Just a thought... ;)

8. Fishman

Fishman Thread Starter

Thought about tube anemones, but heard they are fussy regarding substrates. Is that true? Did anybody watch a documentry on nat geo calld 'oceans in glass' abt the monteray bay aquarium? Awesome they hav an aiptasia tank, i think. One of their displays have pilings (like from a pier) covered in coral growth. If you google images of it you'll chek it.

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

10. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Brilliant link Tobes, will use it in the place of the previous one I normally recommended

11. Fishman

Fishman Thread Starter

Very cool link. And they do come in a bright orange. Ive got crushed coral as a substrate, can i place it in a pvc pipe filled with sand and still use my crushed coral everywhere else?

Recent Posts