NP Reducing Bio-pellets Reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charlne, 23 Sep 2012.

1. Charlne

Charlne

Hello people.

I would just like to know what are you guys experience of bio-pellets NP reducing reactors.
    Im going to make one and would just like to know if it will benefit my system at all.
    Would like to reduce phosphates and nitrates in my tank....
    And can anything bad happen to add this reactor.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi biopellets are good.
    I take it you want to build a reactor? Can you put up your design for us to see?

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Never had success with NP pellets, but that doesn't mean they don't work, I know some guys in here like @Helga that use pellets with good success. I tried mine for about a year and my NO3 stayed the same.Yes, a design would be great for us to see.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Jayceew

Jayceew

Would also like to. See the design, if the pellets dont tumble correctly you will have issues with build up on the pellets.

6. Helga

Helga

Carlosdeandrade is right. I have had great success with NP Pellets. I run them in a Reef Octopus reactor. A very important fact with keeing marines is to remember that what works on one tank, dont neccesarily work on the next tank.

Important factor with NP pellets is to keep in mind it takes about 4 to 6 weeks before it shows results. Dont overdo the amount of pellets in the reactor. You wont get better results if you add more than the required amount. The pellets should tumble just enough to avoid clumping. New pellets tend to stick to the sides after a day of adding them to the reactor. To avoid this, I turn up the flow (tumbling speed) for a day or so after adding new pellets, then you adjust the flow... just enough to keep them in suspension.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

how does one monitor the pellets and see when they need to be replaced?

8. NickW

NickW

Pellets are made up of bio degradable polymer, so as time goes on the pellets in the reactor become less and less, this is why the outlet of the reactor needs to be plumbed close to the skimmer to get rid of these fine particles and prevent them going into your system. (to my understanding - please correct me if i am wrong)

I have been running my tank from the start with bio pellets, been running for close to 4months, since i have had no ill effects, nitrated are 0, phosphates read 0 but i have a very slight algae problem on the back glass since the cycle finnished which i am working on. Other than that its been treating me well.

Would like to see the design of the DIY reactor:thumbup:

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I understood it as skimming out the bacteria and mulem that is being produced inside the reactor, hence exporting NO3 and PO4, the tumbeling is to free them from the pellets that they are growing on.

the polymer houses carbon to feed bacteria, my question is does the carbon disolve at the same rate as the pellets?

10. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi @butcherman

The carbon source is the polymer. It will be consumed by bacteria over time and then needs to be replenished with new pellets.

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Charlne

Charlne Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the great info.
    Ill be making an exact replica of the phosban reactor 150....
    Im going to get some perspex piping, would not even know that I made it.
    the only way to know is that its not going to have any branding on it.
    I have got all the necessary tools to make it, lazer cutting machine etc.
    If it works great then ill be making more and selling them for even less than half price.:thumbup:
    But i first want to make a demo for myself to see how it works.

12. NickW

NickW

Interested to see the result, also have a look at the Reef Octo BR110, its designed for NP Pellets. Take note of the bottom where the water hits the plate, i think the water distribution through the pellets are also quite important, so you dont get a "lob sided" tumble.

[​IMG]

13. Charlne

Charlne Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your pic..I also have something in mind to get an even distribution of flow....I will also be putting a 2000l/h pump on it, will have more than enough power to get the pellets from not clogging/sticking...Will just throttle it with a ball valve.

14. Charlne

Charlne Thread Starter

I will be posting pics of my snatched modified design ASAP...just waiting for the material

15. Helga

Helga

The older the pellets get, the more disk-like they appear..... they dont tumble as much, its more a floating action. When you add the new pellets (never remove the old pellets), you'll immediately notice the difference between the old and the new. The older/lighter pellets tumble above the heavier new pellets.

Recent Posts