NP pellets advise needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by flamming angel, 22 Aug 2011.

1. flamming angel

flamming angel

Hey All

So i am wanting to go the NP route. Currently have a dsb and looking at getting rid of that and running pellets.

System is approx 250l with a skimz 121 skimmer and a small dsb. Also running a phos and carbon reactor. Running the system for 6 months.

Here are my q's:

Always known to run the pellets and the dsb together at first for about 3 weeks and then slowly start removing the dsb bit by bit??? Any advise?

Can any of the NP gurus please advise me of the do's and dont's of this. Also the pros and cons. If you have links to threads etc. that will be much appreciated.

Thanks ppl

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i would take more along the lines of 6 weeks to be sure its working properly, apparently the out flow from the NP reactor must flow to the skimmer inlet.
    you wont need the phos-reactor anymore as the NP does that, i would add some bio-balls to that reactor to add more biological filtration or Seachem Matrix

4. Sentari

Sentari

Why not leave the DSB? I left mine and haven't had any problems.

5. pXius

pXius

250ml of pellets, also suggest the 6 week wait before removing the DSB. You can also dose prodibio directly onto the pellets the first time. Lots of RC guys do this, no proof that it makes a difference but logic supports it.

@Sentari

Guess you could do that but I think the whole idea of pellets is to save space, easier maintenance etc, however extra biological filtration like a DSB will always help.

Personally I'm running 500ml pellets, no dsb, but my scrubber still grows some thick green algae.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. kakarot

kakarot

Sorry to hijack here flamming_angel, but Im going to be starting up my tank soon - running the reactor from the word go shouldn't be an issue right?

I wanted to initially run the pellets with a dsb, but they do serve the exact same purpose has I understand.

7. flamming angel

flamming angel Thread Starter

no worries man we all here to get info and understand.

Now the question is : If you run the dsb and pellets together what will the effects be?

8. kakarot

kakarot

Shouldn't be any, unless either the DSB or the reactor starts leaching N's or P's back into the water, I would imagine that would be a logical possibility and would negate the reactor or dsb depending which 1 is causing the problem.

Hope the guru's can shed more light!! :thumbup:

9. Sentari

Sentari

I'm running both with great success and no problem at all.

10. kakarot

kakarot

@Sentari - How long have you been running both? I personally have been thinking about going with a algae scrubber & bio pellet reactor for my setup. also my middle / 2nd chamber of my sump will be filled up with live rock.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I would run the reactor in conjunction with the DSB for 6 weeks, then i would remove the DSB if you wish to. but i would do it one go personally.. i recomend running phosphate media. the biggest thing is to start at a half dose with the pellets and build up gradually.. i did but im sure my nitrate and phos were high causing my tank to remain cloudy untill the pellets had consumed a large portion of thses 2 nutrients..

it has only started clearing about 3 weeks ago

Last edited: 22 Aug 2011
  12. flamming angel

flamming angel Thread Starter

Recent Posts