[wtd] NP Pellet Reactor

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by B00tCamp, 7 May 2013.

1. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Hey there fellow Reefers!

I have been battling a bit from my tanks startup with gha and thought I would give a NP Pellet reactor a try....I have been dosing NO3PO4X for a while and it has been working but not to an extent that the gha actually goes away...it just thins and browns for a while and then new shoots start coming up.

So, My question, Does anyone have a NP Pellet or Media reactor lying around that they would possably part with for a few $$?

My total water volume is only about 150L and there is not much space left in the sump so the reactor would have to stand outside the sump with only the pump and return line submerged in the sump.....

Anyone?:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

If you battel with GHA, there must be a cause. Please post a pic of your system and give us more info on your water parameters and your cleaning regime... will rather run po4 media like rowaphos... how often do you feed fish and how much???

4. B00tCamp

B00tCamp Thread Starter

Hey Express Reef!

Sorry for the late reply...been a little distracted between work and studying :)

Will post a pic just now...and get up to date water params tonight.

I clean the skimmer cup every few days, usually once to twice a week and pull it out for a clean once every couple of months. The glass gets cleaned once a week. I try not to fiddle inside the tank too much...

Feeding is once a day, with Brine Shrimp flakes, usually just a medium - large size pinch that the fish consume within a few minutes. Every now and then I substitute the flakes for frozen Brine.

5. B00tCamp

B00tCamp Thread Starter

Here is my FTS

20130501_201452 (640x480).jpg

6. Express Reef

Express Reef

How often do you do water changes? Do you stirr the top off your substrate to get some off the ditrus out when doing waterchanges? Is there any visable signs of ditrus on your rock work? How is the flow in the tank? Can you please post a pick off your sump???

7. Express Reef

Express Reef

Will recommend getting extra flow in your DT.

8. B00tCamp

B00tCamp Thread Starter

To be honest, water changes have been lacking a bit lately :whistling: Usually try do do at least 1 or two 15% changes per month.

I dont stir the substrate manually...got a Sand Sifting goby hard at work...lol Substrate looks clean...but will give it a stir as well if it is recommended.

There is some detrius build up arount the bottom halves of the rockwork...mostly sand that gets trapped by gha...I do however fan this off every now and then with the glass scraper.

My flow is all created by my return pump which was chosen over sized to give the required flow for the tank...The return pump is a halia 6540.

Will snap a shot of the sump tonight and post.

9. Express Reef

Express Reef

Do a test, take some pellet food and see how long it stays suspended, is there any deadspots? Your tank look good, think you wil only need to run some po4 media... have you looked at orca bio cubes??? very effective and value for money

10. B00tCamp

B00tCamp Thread Starter

Kwl, Will be on the lookout for an additional flow pump...Had an extra SUNSUN that blasts 5000L/Ph but it was just throwing my substrate all over the place...will see what I can find over the weekend...:thumbup:

Shot for the assistance btw...:peroni:

11. Express Reef

Express Reef

No problem, hope you can get it sorted, look for a small reactor second hand to run some po4 media and get some carbon that you can run in a pool gobler bag in the sump in a high flow area...

12. B00tCamp

B00tCamp Thread Starter

Will definately have a look at some PO4 media and carbon...Never used the cubes...will give it a try ;)

Dont have pellets to test with...but havent noticed any dead spots ito flow when feeding...the food usually goes all over the tank and stays suspended with very little landing on the substrate...

13. B00tCamp

B00tCamp Thread Starter

Ok Kwl,

Some parameters:

NO3 = Undetectable Test Kit Exp: 08/2014
    PO4 = Undetectable Test Kit Exp: 09/2013
    KH = 5.4 dKH Test Kit Exp: 08/2017
    Ca = 460 ppm Test Kit Exp: 03/2017
    Mg = 1350 ppm Test Kit Exp: 01/2016
    Salinity = 1,025

14. Express Reef

Express Reef

Looks oky, try raising dkH to 8 -12, how old is this system?

15. Express Reef

Express Reef

no3 & po4 will be undetectable due to the GHA that consumes the nutrients. Get 2meter air tubing slightly thicker than RO pipe, take a piece RO pipe and cut it so that it got a sharp point, join the two pipes, use it to ship horn out the GHA on a weekly basis, use a poolgobler bag to catch the GHA and led the water run back to the sump.

What I think is happening, there is still die off in the life rock or worst, there is po4 in the life rock that is leaching back into the system...

16. B00tCamp

B00tCamp Thread Starter

System has been running for just over a year now...doudt there would still be die off...So possibly leeching PO4 then :( Will try siphoning the gha

Started adding some PH buffer last night...System has been running for just over a year now.

Recent Posts