Novice, needs some help

Reaction score
hi,new to the forum, brief description of set up:
260L tank, 12kg live rock,1xdamsel,2xclowns,1xregal tang,1xcoachman,tank 6-7wks old.
my problem is i cannot get the coachman to eat,about the size of a R5 coin. tried marine mix, flakes, some other frozen stuff[can`t remember name]; he takes a bit then spits out. got the fish for a wk now, any advice?

also read somewhere, feeding freshly chopped garlic help boosts fish immune system and may prevent parasitic infections, any truth there?????

thnx:)

Reaction score
hi,new to the forum, brief description of set up:
260L tank, 12kg live rock,1xdamsel,2xclowns,1xregal tang,1xcoachman,tank 6-7wks old.
my problem is i cannot get the coachman to eat,about the size of a R5 coin. tried marine mix, flakes, some other frozen stuff[can`t remember name]; he takes a bit then spits out. got the fish for a wk now, any advice?

also read somewhere, feeding freshly chopped garlic help boosts fish immune system and may prevent parasitic infections, any truth there?????

thnx:)
Welcome Rax, sounds like a great setup you have there.

This is a problem with quite a few species of fish, if you haven't seen him eating at the LFS (Local Fish Store/Shop) then the chances are he will never eat. But keep trying, we have all been through this and know how frustrating it can be.

Bannerfish Info

Garlic generally makes food my appealing to fish, but actually being immune booster, the jury is out on that.

We would really love some pics of your setup, so don't be shy ;)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
masahello RAX

Yip garlic might entice them to eat, just dont use that oily garlic flavour crushed junk you buy in tubs, fresh Garlic works best

Good luck

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA, Rax!

Ditto to what Warr said!

Yeah - it's a REAL bane to hassle with fish that won't eat... The biggest things here are:
- Look at what the fish SHOULD eat naturally (banners are part of the chaetodon a.ka butterfly family, even though they are actually called heniochus acuminatus)...
- try and coach him to eat with some mussels
- else, try live brineshrimp
- if this does not work, try and reduce the stress of the fish by leaving the lights off for a little longer during the day - and then try and feed the fish...
- also - try and reduce the water flow a little bit - that fish does not have to swim so hard - and expend too much energy - otherwise it would be going towards a certain death

Hope that someone can give you the right suggestion to get the fish to eat....

BTW - you can definitely try some fresh garlic, or perhaps see if there's a commercial offering available that would assist.....

Reaction score
Garlic:
Potent antioxidant
Antimicrobial agent due to amino acid allicin.

One medium clove of Garlic can equal the antibacterial action equivalent to 1% penicillin.
Also contains sulfur-containing compounds, Selenium, Vitamins A and C
These protect cell membranes and DNA from damage and disease

Scientific studies have shown that garlic stimulates the production of the liver's own detoxifying enzymes which neutralize carcinogens and other environmental toxins. It has also been used to rid the body of intestinal parasites and to treat digestive infections. This is in humans though. Perhaps it has the same effect in fish...

Furthermore, garlic increases the activity of white blood cells and T-helper cells (natural killer cells), the cells that are central to the activity of the entire immune system.

Mostly taken from herbal infromation center although I have seen numerous scientific article on this while doing me degree.

Reaction score
Nice link that Warr

The bottom line is still Garlic is good and may offer a good alternative to copper based preps towards some parasites.

Is is also a good vitamin source packed with antioxidants promoting fish health and probably coral health too :)

Reaction score
Another interesting fact is that Allicin is a tissuetropic substance and specifically target the lungs. Thus making garlic a good addition to any antibiotic course your doctor puts you on for respiratory infections...

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The fish health guru on a UK forum recently posted an article shoqwing that there is no proven health benefit to marine fish that are fed on garlic, in fact it can damage the liver - i will see if i can find the article and post it.

Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Thats is interesting Wee-Man

I am sure the amounts you feed play a big role... Often less is more ;)

Tom

Reaction score
Welcome rax123! :D

How to process garlic: Take 1 head, peel & crush cloves. Mix with 1/4 cup ro water.
Sieve through tea sieve "Dont tell the wife ;)" Keep the paste in the fridge.

For white spot or a unhappy fishie: Put 1 drop of the paste on its food or nori and watch it go wild! Well from my personal experience anyway. We treated a PB Tang to death with copper and low sg. etc. So when our Zebra got ill after fighting with the Purple tang we put him in the small tank, and he just got worse till we thought he was going to die. So we put some garlic on his food in the morning, and that afternoon he was showing attitude and appetite already it was like a switch. A few days later he was clean and full of nonsense again.

Hoping your fishie gets better.

Reaction score
thnx guys for the welcome and the advice....much appreciated,
all this garlic talk .....garlic butter and prawns ;)

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Rax123. Your thread has got me craving for a nice crispy cheesy garlic roll :)

Are you sure you have a coachman and not a Moorish Idol?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Rax123. Your thread has got me craving for a nice crispy cheesy garlic roll :)

Are you sure you have a coachman and not a Moorish Idol?
Ain't coachmen known as Poor man's Moorish ?